Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (idrumyay)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-10-2008, 8:45 PM Reply   
what was your first mobe? I haven't landed one yet, but it's one of my goals this summer. I know everyone learns differently, but I want to get an idea of the easiest ones, and the ones to steer clear from for a little while.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-10-2008, 9:02 PM Reply   
if you consider a whirly a mobe then that would be mine but i dont consider a whirly a mobe so mine was a crowmobe
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-10-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
Mobe Dicks are pretty easy. Crow Mobes were my second mobe and they aren't too hard as long as you take the right steps to learn it. I'd stay away from blind petes, those seem to probably be the hardest. I think KGBs would be pretty hard too but my friend landed that as his first mobe. Pretty much what you need to do is figure out which one of your basic inverts is the one your most comfortable with then try the mobe based off of that invert.
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-10-2008, 9:16 PM Reply   
Nick.
Blind Pete's are easy!
....Just ask Danny Harf.

i cant land a mobe either but my most solid invert is my roll to revert and i'm not far of a back mobe. As nick said, it really depends on what your comfortable with
Old     (trevorcurry)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-10-2008, 10:37 PM Reply   
Kinda off topic... but do you consider tootsies a mobe?

Some people do and some don't. IMO a mobe is an invert with a handle pass 3 or more
Old    alanp            06-11-2008, 12:30 AM Reply   
i dont trevor. i think there needs to be a 2 things for it to be a mobe a 360 degree rotation and a handle pass.
whirly doesnt have the handle pass
and tootsie roll only has the bs 180.
Old     (trevorcurry)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-11-2008, 12:40 AM Reply   
Ya thats how I feel. I guess I just need to learn a dum dum now to turn it into a mobe!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-11-2008, 12:55 AM Reply   
Crowmobe was my first
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-11-2008, 4:21 AM Reply   
Pete Rose
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-11-2008, 5:18 AM Reply   
Crow mobe
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-11-2008, 5:19 AM Reply   
Crow mobes are apparently easy to throw but hard to get consistant. I have tried a handful but have not landed any yet. Nick, what were those "right steps" you were talking about?
Old     (dblockklsoldiers)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-11-2008, 12:27 PM Reply   
Moby dicks are easiest for me.
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-11-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
Like jason said, I don't consider a whirly a mobe, but that was my first if you want to look at it that way. My second was a KGB. I've always loved the look of a moby dick..hopefully this summer...right nick?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-11-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
what about a wraped kgb(murray), wrapped front mobe(randall) or a wrapped dum dum
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-11-2008, 11:34 PM Reply   
Gene, once I got my TS 3s down, landing blind. I took me three tries to stick one. Pervious to that I would try to land wrapped but would always get pulled over. So either learn switch BS 180s or TS 360s and land blind at that really really helps.

Yeah, Jeff I think you could do it easy. But you need to teach me a tootsie roll.
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-12-2008, 7:39 AM Reply   
Yup, for sure nick. Hopefully the sun come out soon
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-12-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
Man, I have had both backside 180's & a wrapped 3 locked for over a year now and still seem to get worked on the CrowM. I think I have to much line tension.

I have been working on my Roll to blind and think a KGB might be easier to land for me.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-12-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
I dont belive that a Wrapped anything should be considered a Mobe. I think it is a first step to learning a new trick but the wrapped part should be lost to a handle pass once you learn the trick.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-12-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
Technically it would be a Mobe even if it is wrapped. Technically a whirly is a Mobe. A Mobe is anything that makes a full 360 degree rotation over both the X and the Y axis..... no matter the way it is achieved.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-12-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
^^thats right Gene, bout time somebody got scientific with the whole, "what is a mobe?" dilemma. a whirly is a mobe too!
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-12-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
a mobe is any invert with a handle pass 360
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-12-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
Then what if you land a crow mobe wrapped and then upwrapped after you landed? You never passed the handle in that case.
Old     (wkbdboi)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-12-2008, 1:35 PM Reply   
my first was a little different than most... my 1st was a heelside back mobe. although I landed a whirly 1st.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-12-2008, 2:10 PM Reply   
my point(well, gene's actually) exactly eubanks
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-12-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
So what do you call it when randall harris rails in heelside wrapped and does a backroll 360. Do you not call that mobe? Or do you call it a wrapped heelside backroll 360. Because the later of the two sounds pretty retarded to me
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-12-2008, 2:43 PM Reply   
Eubanks, you know that is a mobe, no need to get technical on an easy subjebt.

Dave, then it is a wrapped heelside back mobe. It doesn't matter than randall is doing it or you are doing it, if the trick is wrapped, then the word wrapped must come before the name of the trick. If you went over to Rusty's house claiming you have 5 mobes then do a wrapped kgb, wrapped back mobe, wrapped pete, wrapped slim chance and wrapped moby dick, they would all laugh.

Just pass the handle, if you can already get the 3 and the flip together you have enough skill to make a handle pass as well
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-12-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
i wish i could do 5 wrapped mobes.... or one...
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-12-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
kyle, thats a silly mentality...(Just pass the handle, if you can already get the 3 and the flip together you have enough skill to make a handle pass as well) Just wondering..? does that apply for landing wrapped as well?? if you've got the skill, why would you land wrapped?? just make the handle paSS...

now i like landing wrapped as well as the next guy, just wondering how it is different that taking off wrapped...
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-12-2008, 3:14 PM Reply   
my first mobe was a crowmobe but i still have a hard time with them i land perfectly everytime blind and the handle gets ripped out of my hands before i can grab the handle. i consider a whirly a mobe. im sure that you guys may think differently though.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-12-2008, 4:15 PM Reply   
Landing wrapped is a mobe lol. It is still a handle pass 360, you just pass it after you hit the water. I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Wrapped tricks, as in wrapping up before you hit the wake are not by definition "mobes". A mobe is an invert with a handle pass 360 ( this includes landing wrapped).
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-12-2008, 4:16 PM Reply   
and my first mobe was a Pete Rose...to get back on topic
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-12-2008, 4:30 PM Reply   
kyle, who said landing wrapped was a mobe?? definetly not me. nah man, i didn't misunderstand you at all..i was just drawing comparison to landing wrapped and leaving wrapped...it seems the latter of the two gets alot of negative attention (often ppl. say wrapped tricks are easier..i disagree) BUT never once have i ever heard anything negative about landing wrapped...even though it is essentially the same concept. anyways, to stay on topic, my first mobe was a crow mobe, it was a long time ago, and i never passed the handle at all. i landed wrapped, cut out,did a pretty lil butterslide to unwrap, and then threw the handle cuz i was stoked. no handlepass at all. does that still count?
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-12-2008, 5:06 PM Reply   
of course that counts, landing wrapped is a mobe, thats what i was trying to say. landing wrapped is harder than passing the handle. It is taking off wrapped that isn't technically a mobe.
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-12-2008, 5:28 PM Reply   
Im with Kyle on this one!
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-12-2008, 5:50 PM Reply   
Damn - some of yall will try to split hairs with ANYTHING.

I guarantee you (not that it matters) but any reputable rider who knows what they are talking about would not call a whirlybird a mobe. If you had every pro tour rider/judge asked to count the mobes in a run and the guy did a crow mobe, KGB and whirly along with some other stuff, none of them would include the whirly. This is worse than the Soven Crow Mobe 7 thread.

I've decided that I consider a 540 a 900 based on the fact that on both I go off-axis, pass the handle, do a spinny thing and land switch.
Old    alanp            06-12-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
2 votes kyle.
Old     (mellowman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-13-2008, 7:01 AM Reply   
"I guarantee you (not that it matters) but any reputable rider who knows what they are talking about would not call a whirlybird a mobe."

Definition from this site:

Trick Name: WhirlyBird

Description: Tantrum Mobius with overhead handle pass
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-13-2008, 7:52 AM Reply   
No offense, but I would hardly say the list on this site is conclusive or totally accurate.

Example:

Trick Name: Pete Rose

Description: AKA Frontside Mobius- Toeside rotational roll-combination flip with handle pass

...I've been doing this 10-11 years and I'm still waiting on someone to refer to a Pete as a "Frontside Mobius".
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-13-2008, 8:30 AM Reply   
3 votes kyle
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-13-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
derek -

"(often ppl. say wrapped tricks are easier..i disagree)"

Take a look at the women's pro tour.

Every girl on the tour can do a wrapped KGB, never seen one do a handlepass KGB.
Dallas does wrapped backmobes, never seen her pass the handle.
There's a few girls doing wrapped toeside roll to blinds, I think I would soil myself or quit wakeboarding if I saw a girl do a toeside handlepass roll to blind.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-13-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
well shiv, if wrapped tricks are so much easier, how come no one has landed a wrapped 1080 yet? seems like it would have been done already if it were so much easier... i agree though, simple wrapped spins (3, 5, etc.. and some wrapped inverts are def. easier...)
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-13-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
i dont know what we are voting for, can someone fill me in.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-13-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
We are voting on who has more testosterone and less brains.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-13-2008, 10:58 AM Reply   
oh, in that case, one vote for me then.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-13-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
One vote for Gene!

Why does this matter anyway? Are they scored different in a compeition? Mobe or no mobe shouldn't even matter unless we're talking about scoring in a contest.
Old     (mellowman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-13-2008, 11:18 AM Reply   
Ok, let's break it down for David F, "I've been doing this for 10 years", yeah a lot of us have been doing it longer, good for you. When Parks through his Whirly 7 back in the day, that's a handle-pass, all of a sudden a supposed mobe, becomes a mobe. Try not to take defintions so literally, otherwise people are right, a crowmobe can't be called that unless you pass the handle according to David F.
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-13-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
Well, I'll leave the without-a-doubt answer to that question to some of the parents who know the judging format like the back of their hand. Going on what I said earlier about the women - I would assume that if, everything other aspect of the runs being equal, the girl who threw a handle-pass KGB would win out over the other girls doing wrapped ones. Now if that isn't true, maybe I'll go start complaining on the 'new PWT format' thread. :-)
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-13-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
Not picking sides and didn't read all the post...

Mobe is invert plus 360 handle pass

Whirly is not considered a mobe.

Crow mobe even when landing wrapped is a mobe

Wrapped mobes are still mobes just considered to be on the easy end of the spectrum.

Oh yea, 22 years under my belt if you count the last 8 years of not riding!
Old    alanp            06-13-2008, 2:41 PM Reply   
the judge has spoken
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-13-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
Wow - didn't see that earlier. Mellow Man, clearly you missed the point so Ill try to keep it a little more elementary for you. I simply stated how long I'd been doing it as a testament that I'd never heard someone call a Pete Rose a Frontside Mobius. Guess what, if I had been riding 3 years, that would be 3 years I had gone without hearing of a frontside mobius. Especially not described as being a "Toeside rotational roll-combination flip with handle pass".

quote: "When Parks through his Whirly 7 back in the day, that's a handle-pass, all of a sudden a supposed mobe, becomes a mobe"

- I'm pretty sure when Parks "through" his whirly 7 he did a tantrum with two overhead 360's. Soven does an overhead 3 and the 2nd is handle pass, which is an entirely different trick.

And by the way, you can land a mobe wrapped. Sorry, for a second I thought you had a clue so I didn't bother mentioning that.

You can call whatever, whatever you want. I won't lose any sleep over it. I was simply stating that neither a whirly, nor a big worm for that matter, are widely accepted as being mobes.