Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-22-2010, 1:10 AM Reply   
Got some questions about vests. I was looking at he helium vests and trying to make a decision
i have had so very little experience with vests and i live remotely for trying-on purposes.
so far of the all the vests i HAVE tried, the "hyperlite special agent" has been my favorite.

i was looking at the clearance helium vests (paisley style and the van-helium/voodoo style) they fit my budget.

1.) do people find the buckles on side entry vests a nuisance? not all, but many side entry vests have the buckles situated by the ribs on the side and i would think it would be uncomfortable and a rare potential for rib issues on hard side crashes? for example the helium paisley has them on the side and the voodoo has them slightly in front kinda like many of the jet pilots i've seen

2.) Is the Paisley truly longer than the vanhelium/ voodoo or is it just the way the vest is displayed? i like the idea of a longer vest.

3.) I absolutely Hate strap twisting! i am picky about it and if a vest has more than 50% of the strap hidden AT A TIME then i cant pull it out easily to untwist them for comfort. it looks like the Paisley has an opening at both sides to get to the straps, but the vanhelium and voodoo look to have 75% or more hidden... unless there is something i am not seeing, on the inside possibly?

3.b.) has anyone ever cut the neoprene on a vest to get to the straps for untwisting? bad idea? would it fray or rather tear over time if cut?

4.) Lastly, the sizing chart says S 36-38 M 40-42. i have a chest of 38". how true to size are helium vests? ive almost never had to consider a Small before, i usually land in the M-L sizes, not S.

i have only bought one name brand vest previously and ended up disliking it and moved back to my first neo vest. I would like to try again to move away from my cheap generic neoprene that is a bit too large and get something that fits better and more comfortable

thanks
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-22-2010, 5:44 AM Reply   
Jeremy, I haven't read as much about the Division Series (Van Helium and Vodoo) as I did with the SWAT series which has gotten great reviews on here as well as the fact as it does look longer and less bulky. I have a 38" chest as well I believe and am 6' and 165-170. I ordered a medium Paisley and can tell you how the fit is when I get the vest likely early next week.

I've used a fair amount of side entrys with buckles and never really been bothered by them on the side. I would say the concealed straps are better the non-twisted straps. I would not worry about it or perhaps click them closed when in use so there's no chance for twisting.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-22-2010, 5:47 AM Reply   
I picked up a Van. Guess ill have to wait and see. It is def hard buying vests without trying them on, but for 30 bucks its worth the risk. If it doesnt fit just another vest on the boat. I ordered XL. I have a 44" chest. And i sont see the side buckles being a problem.
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-22-2010, 7:53 AM Reply   
I have the chrome which is a SWAT series vest. the buckles havnt been a problem at all. It is a nice long vest. Im 6'3" and it comes almost to my board shorts. I have a 44" chest and the XL fits just fine. The vest is super sweet and really comfortable
Old     (luke22885)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-22-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
I ordered the voodoo and it is coming in today... I will let you know how it fits when I get it later today.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-22-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
I have a SWAT, and it has plenty of length. One of my straps is twisted right now, and usually I'm OCD about stuff like that, but I honestly didnt notice it until I saw it one day. I'm sure I could un-twist it though the vest, but its not noticeable when I'm wearing it so I didnt bother.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-22-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
For vests the smaller the better. I wear medium t shirts and everything but for vests i wanna get them as tight as possible, cos they may stretch depending on the design
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-22-2010, 9:45 AM Reply   
I have a Paisley. They fit a little small. I would not say it is any longer or shorter than normal. It is a very nice vest.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-22-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
i ordered a van helium medium. it came in today. nice and thin and contoures great. but fits much too loose in the chest. i have a 37" chest. online it said med. was for 36-38. when i got the vest today its printed on there as 36-40. chest area is very loose. im pretty bummed. maybe i can suck down the ab straps and keep it from riding up. but that will make deep breathing more difficult while riding.
im coming from a front zip/buckle Slippery vest. medium as well.
Old     (David126)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-22-2010, 6:05 PM Reply   
does this mean all mediums are 36-40? How loose is it on your chest? Im a 37 also. Im going to buy the paisley but now not sure on the size
Old     (dizzy8085)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-22-2010, 6:10 PM Reply   
The paisley Medium is a 36-38. I just got my medium in a few days ago. My chest is a 38 and it's pretty snug on me. So it should be perfect if your a 37.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-23-2010, 1:22 AM Reply   
thanks for all the comments. glad others have had some similar questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy8085 View Post
The paisley Medium is a 36-38. I just got my medium in a few days ago. My chest is a 38 and it's pretty snug on me. So it should be perfect if your a 37.
so medium is 36-38? i guess the sizing chart is wrong or i am looking at it wrong http://www.stearnsflotation.com/sizecharts.aspx small is listed as the 36-38, which i thought odd. but on the house site it shows sizes that are closer to what other brands are. http://helpdesk.the-house.com/index....eliumsize-vest a couple other shops show these numbers too.

i hate that i am between sizes. last time i bought a nice vest it stretched out so for me i think i will have to agree to get the smaller of the two
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-23-2010, 1:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeborder5 View Post
Jeremy, I haven't read as much about the Division Series (Van Helium and Vodoo) as I did with the SWAT series which has gotten great reviews on here as well as the fact as it does look longer and less bulky. I have a 38" chest as well I believe and am 6' and 165-170. I ordered a medium Paisley and can tell you how the fit is when I get the vest likely early next week.
Ray, sounds like you and i are exactly the same shape and size. id love to hear more when you get your vest.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-23-2010, 2:04 AM Reply   
found this ongoing discussion on the helium vests on the boat and accessories forum. might be usefull to others. it was for me. helium/sterns/coleman needs to get their act together on displaying the sizes. lots of others confused
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=778594