Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old    stormrider            08-19-2003, 9:15 PM Reply   
Group of us are coming up to the Delta in late September. Any suggestions for hotels/motels? Prefer place on the water so we don't have to pull the boat.
Thanks.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-19-2003, 9:40 PM Reply   
Are you planning on coming up the 5 all the way or will you venture into the bay area? That will at least give some of the people that are more knowledgable than I an idea of which areas to suggest.....
Old    deltahoosier            08-20-2003, 1:37 AM Reply   
Not sure I know of a hotel or motel on the water around the delta now that you mention it. There is a Holiday Inn Express in Brentwood about 5 minutes from Orwood. That is all I know about.
Old     (jschwart73)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-20-2003, 8:13 AM Reply   
Snug Harbor is about the only place I can think of that has spots on the water on the Delta.

http://www.snugharbor.net/

You can always rent a slip from Orwood and then drive back and forth to the Holiday Inn Express in Brentwood. (about 5 miles distance)

-Jeff
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-20-2003, 8:31 AM Reply   
There are homes you can rent by the week there (in Discovery Bay, on the water). They are pretty expensive but if you got the $$$ there's nothing better.

If you are on a budget...you may be able to find someone on this board who lives in Disco that has an extra slip. You could ask to keep the boat there on the water and use their side yard for access. This way you have a 10 minute commute, but the boat is ready and waiting.

It's worth a shot anyway.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-20-2003, 8:47 AM Reply   
Check this place out, I think it is pretty close to Discovery Bay, we stay here every Labor Day weekend, they have some cool cabins that rent out for a pretty decent price, boat launch, plus covered slips etc. They also have a resturant and a dive bar right there, so it's cool after you get off the water.

http://vieiras95641.tripod.com/
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-20-2003, 9:33 AM Reply   
Jonathan, that's pretty cool 'cause we are there for a week every 4th of july. It is a great place and we always have a fun time.

Vieiras is a good 45 minute boat ride from Disco (more when the main-channel swells are pumpin'). If Discovery Bay is where you want to be, Vieiras is pretty far. As for the ski conditions at Vieiras...count on windy (in late summer it may be somewhat better). Good water is often 2 miles up river and frequently 6 miles. On a few occasions we have had to go past Walnut Grove to find glass. Sidenote: Having the Delta as our "home" water, we are spoiled and will only ride on glass or near glass water. Crowd factor: Minimal.

The Boardstock Factor:
I almost forgot about this. Steven, is this why you are coming?
The weekend of Boardstock (Sept 20 & 21 this year) the delta is really crowded. That weekend, a lot of people attend the event one day and ride the other. Discovery Bay to Lodi will be teaming with boaters. Camping and HUGE parties at Tower Park...get reservations in now...it may be too late. Stockton = slammed. Disco = pretty packed too. Vieiras = still far enough off the map that it is not usually affected.

Probably more than you needed to know...but hopefully helpful.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-20-2003, 9:40 AM Reply   
Can't you camp at orwoods? Cheap easy... right on the water!
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-20-2003, 9:52 AM Reply   
Greg, thanks for the info. When we go on Labor Day weekend "I can't wait!!! Only a week and a half away!!!" we spend all day out on the water and cover many miles. So it seems we do not hang in the immediate area around Vieiras. So I was not really familar with the water condtions in that immediate area. Or how exactly how far to Disco Bay. I didn't have my map with me to get a look at how far they are apart. Cool place to stay, though that is the only place we have ever stayed. This will be our 5th year there, however the group we go with has been going every Labor Day for 12 years!! The Delta is awesome, I can't wait!!!!

(Message edited by rock_n_boardin on August 20, 2003)
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-20-2003, 10:04 AM Reply   
Do you stay in the campgrounds, cabins or on the "Private Beach"? We do the private beach...since about '83 or so. Every year it's "I can't wait" for about a month prior. Want to join us next year?
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-20-2003, 10:12 AM Reply   
Usually we stay in the cabins, this year I got in a little late, we missed the last two years because we had sold our boat, but this will be the first year back in our new boat. Anyway, in the past, always in the cabins, but this year the others in our group have all the cabins taken, we snoozed and we losed LOL We are tenting it in the camp ground sites G&H. Shouldn't be to bad, we are on the water all day and they have nice hot shower/bathroom area, plus the resturant and bar. Our tents will be for crashing at night and that is about it.

I would be very interested in joining you, next year I want to get up there at least twice and maybe more. I love it on the Delta!! I was never aware of the private beach, is that camping there? I saw it on the site and for some reason never knew about that option.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-20-2003, 10:14 AM Reply   
We will have 6 boats in our group this year. Makes for a fun trip out there!
Old    stormrider            08-20-2003, 10:29 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input. We were thinking Sept. 20-21, but not for boardstock. Will be coming up with the kids and others and we were looking for quieter conditions. Thanks for the heads up. Tough choices. Vieras resort looks perfect, except it seems like it could be some distance from the better water. Brentwood Holiday Inn with the boat at Orwood would work, except I don't like leaving the boat for the night even at Orwoods. Camping's probably out because somebody won't be able to sleep and that would make the following day on the water a bit too challenging!

The amount of great water that you guys have is amazing.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-20-2003, 10:48 AM Reply   
Sanger Regatta that weekend at Orwood.
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-20-2003, 11:04 AM Reply   
RE: Boat at Orwood
Christie Fisher had her truck broken into there a coupla weeks ago when she left it overnight. Just another thing to consider.

Would you like me to ask my friends from disco if they'd mind loaning out some dock space?
Old    stormrider            08-20-2003, 12:06 PM Reply   
Gregg: good point. We don't want to be a bother so don't worry. Right now we're sorta thinking either stay in Brentwood and trailer or get at cabin at Snug Harbor or Vieras and hope it's either not windy or that we can boom and zoom into the good water. It's gonna be pretty much a family trip so if you, your wife and kids will be out the weekend of October 3-5, maybe we can hook up and say "hi."
Loved the video of your little girl riding that you posted a couple of weeks past. The little rascals (I have 3, ages 13, 9 and 6)sure try our patience but watching them grow up sure is pretty awesome.
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-20-2003, 12:14 PM Reply   
You may also want to check here...
Never been there but looks interesting...
http://www.bandwresort.com/
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-20-2003, 12:35 PM Reply   
Thanks Steven, I'm glad you liked the vid. My wife cries when she watches it (same with the cheerleading notionals vid on my website http://www.thevogts.com/cheer/PA_JP%20low%20qual.wmv or http://www.thevogts.com/cheer). You're right about the handfulls and the awesomeness of it all.
I'll take a look at the dates and see what we can throw together. Thanks for the offer.
Old    stormrider            08-20-2003, 5:55 PM Reply   
Greg: Awesome video! Congratulations to your daughter's cheer team, national champs. Man, my back hurts just watching them! How quickly they transformed from bouncy little girls without a care in the world to a finely tuned team executing with precision what looked to me like very complex manuevers.

Well, the trip's on! October 2,3,4 and 5. We'll be coming up Thursday night so we'll need a place Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

If you were me, knowing the options that we have, what would you all recommend? Orwood seems to be the center of the wakeboarding delta universe but there aren't hotels on the water where we can keep an eye on the boat and we've decided against camping. The cabins on the water with the docks right outside sure look appealing but they seem outside the riding areas.

Anyway, I know there's no right or wrong answer, just sorta taking a poll of "if I were you, I'd . . . "
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-21-2003, 7:32 AM Reply   
Trip's on? Cool!
What would I do? I guess that depends a lot on what I'd promised the fam. If it is pure riding and the search for miles of glass, you'd get a different answer than if you want to relax, goof and check out the delta while you're at it.

Serious riding?: I'd stay in the Discovery Bay area and ride Victoria, Old River and Railroad 'til I couldn't move anymore. Best water in the world IMOHO. I'd seriously try to find a way to keep the boat at Discovery bay in somebody's spare slip. Also, there are a lot of people on this board who ride those sloughs...hooking up with them for an afternoon would be a plus. Gas prices on the water then being the only drawback.

Relaxing vacation / seeing the Delta: I'd mix it up... the weekdays at Orwood / discovery Bay. Ride a little...check out Disco Bay - eat at Dicsovery Joes...ride a little... maybe see Lost Isle (crazy on weekends - not for kids)...ride a little...etc.
Then, for the weekend, I'd go to Vieiras. See the Grand Island Mansion...ride a little...take a walking tours of Walnut Grove & Locke...ride a little...have dinner at the Del Rio in Isleton...etc.

4 solid riding days on the water with no retreat is pretty intense. So, with all things considered, I'd probably do 2 days of serious riding near Disco and 2 of relaxing near Vieiras...in that order.

What-do-ya-think?
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-21-2003, 7:48 AM Reply   
Gregg, you just made my daughter's morning. She is a cheer fanatic at 6 years old. She is very into gymnastics. Excellent movie and pictures.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-21-2003, 7:57 AM Reply   
Greg,

have you ever been to an old run down bar in Locke called al-the-waps SP? anyway, it was in a little town near Locke, and might even be Locke as the name, I am not completly sure, but it was near the Lockes area LOL anyway we had to park the boats in a back cove area and hike to it, you could drive there too. But anyway, it was a cool little dive bar, in this little ghost town area, I think left over from the days when the Delta was built, they had one dollar bills all over the ceiling and the floor it totally crooked, they even had a little resturant in the back. It is a pretty cool little diversion trip. Have you ever been there?
Old    norcal_99            08-21-2003, 7:58 AM Reply   
You're gonna love the delta. October is the best too. The water is still warm, and all the weekend warriors have mostly put their boats away for Winter.

Let me know when you come up, and where you plan to stay.
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-21-2003, 9:22 AM Reply   
Paul, Thanks. By all means, keep her in the gymnastics! Cheer is moving more and more that direction.
As further inspiration...My daughter's team has about 8 different squads, all at different levels. My daughter's squad was considered to be one of the weakest and was truly neglected by the owner and staff. At the beginning of the season there were girls that couldn't even do summersaults. My daughter wanted to quit many many times (usually because she wanted to be on one of the "better" squads). We encouraged her to keep up the effort as best we could. The girls that didn't quit just did it 'cause they loved it. The competitions leading to the nationals they finished second and had a couple of thirds. To everyone's surprise, they totally stepped up at the finals (while the other squads didn't). It was so hilarious listening to everyone (even the owner) saying "I always knew that...blah blah blah". The banner that they earned that day is the only banner hanging in the gym. It’s a great feeling when ya look at it and know that your child was part of making it happen.

Jonathan, No, sorry, I haven't been to that bar…at least not that I can remember . It has actually been quite some time since I've visited Locke. You're right about these towns being leftovers for the olden days. The crooked floors and walls just add to the charm and unique look. Without pictures, people don't believe it. More here: http://www.locketown.com/index.html
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-21-2003, 9:31 AM Reply   
Yep that is it, on the site the have it as Al's place, but that is Al the Wop's. Here is the exact link to the resturant and bar. I highly recomend a trip over there as a diversion.

http://www.locketown.com/als.htm

You will see in the picture of the bar the dollar bills stuck on the ceiling.
Old    stormrider            08-22-2003, 11:21 AM Reply   
Looks like we're staying at the Holiday Inn in Brentwood and we'll try and stay out of everybody's way around Discovery Bay and the routes Greg described. Trips on for October 10-12. This will be a serious riding trip. Pretty starved for good water down here so we are gonna ride until our arms fall off. I've said it before: you norcal people have it so good. And on top of the delta you also have the Giants and 49ers, while we have the padres and chargers (lower case used intentionally)!! Where is the justice in all of this!!
Coming up with Jim Bottrell. He's the marine who sent in the letter from Iraq that was in the April or May issue of Wakeboarder magazine.

Thanks for the insights.
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-22-2003, 11:58 AM Reply   
Steven, if you'd like I'll make you a map of the best sloughs (in the Disco area). I'll include where to go when the wind is blowing a particular direction. (The wind can blow 3 or 4 different directions a day but is substantially calmer in the fall)
Old    stormrider            08-22-2003, 12:58 PM Reply   
Gregg: yeah, definitely-- if it's not too much of a problem. Jim Bottrell, the Marine guy who'll be with us is an expert with maps and gps. First night of the war in Iraq his job was to get a 170 vehicle convoy through a dust storm to some oil fields. So he can take your data, input it or whatever and go from there.

Thanks.
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-22-2003, 10:53 PM Reply   
My maps are a little simpler than all that...
Old    buttacup            08-24-2003, 8:47 PM Reply   
Steve-
Have fun up at the delta, I experienced a great weekend of riding last month in July. The 5 hour drive from LA to the delta was worth it, great water and great people that I rode with. I'm definitley planning a weekend back up there too since all of my family is up that way.