Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cassidyb)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-15-2013, 5:53 PM Reply   
Just wondering if theres a good consensus out there on the best lakes to live on.

Criteria:
1. Moderately adjacent to a major city/population center
2. Large body of water that maintains calm/flat conditions
3. On lake entertainment ie. boat up restaurant/bars
4. In-expensive housing
5. As close to year round boating weather as possible

Thanks! Look forward to the replies.
Old     (jrz1)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-15-2013, 6:00 PM Reply   
hard to get 1, 2, 3 and 5 with number 4.....
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-15-2013, 6:24 PM Reply   
Best lake to live on is the one I am on. It is 3 miles from snowboarding. Give up on # 5 and get a winter sport.
Old     (cassidyb)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-15-2013, 6:25 PM Reply   
Naturally. In-expensive in the sense that $1M+ homes arent an option. Ive found some homes on Lake Travis and Lake Douglas for $300-500k that are plenty fine, not looking for mansions, just reasonable homes.
Old     (cassidyb)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-15-2013, 6:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
Best lake to live on is the one I am on. It is 3 miles from snowboarding. Give up on # 5 and get a winter sport.
Ya... Ive been on skis since I could walk, lived in NM and CO my whole life, including 4yrs in Vail. Growing up I spent my summers at the lake but I'm toying with the idea of trying full time lake life.
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       04-15-2013, 6:31 PM Reply   
There are 5 lakes in East TN that meet most of the criteria. In order of most expensive/most options to least expensive/least of #3: Fort Loudon, Norris, Watts Bar, Melton Hill, Douglas, and a little further out is Cherokee.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-15-2013, 6:43 PM Reply   
I like winter better. I just drive the 3 miles and let the lifties do the work, and say hi on my way back to the top...No worries about boat starting, maintenance, insurance, gas. Don't need a driver to get a pull. This winter, between december and march I went out over 80 times. Multiply that times average of 1.5 hours each time = 120 hours on the hill.

I am thinking about giving up the boating and move to reno/tahoe area.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-15-2013, 6:46 PM Reply   
Lake Havasu City, AZ, Canyon Lake, CA.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-15-2013, 6:51 PM Reply   
Lake Conroe, Texas <$500K........ Lots of party restaurants.. ( even Mc D's has a dock...) Trinity River is a short pull away with eternal butter conditions... Long Summers..
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-15-2013, 6:52 PM Reply   
the carolina's fit all those needs, give or take feb and march, but the lake is 70's now and will push 80's by mid may and stay that way until x mas. dirt cheap to live, little to no property tax and you can buy a 4000 sq ft home on the wate for 500kr or 350's across from the water. close to charlotte, airport and you can ski all winter in the north east part of north carolina. 4 to 6000 feet elevation. Great mt biking, motox parks, ultimate 4x4 in the smoky's and be at the beach in 3 hours.

we moved here form pgh pa and wish we would have many years ago. lake wylie, waterie, norman, mt island, murray and many more.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-15-2013, 6:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
I like winter better. I just drive the 3 miles and let the lifties do the work, and say hi on my way back to the top...No worries about boat starting, maintenance, insurance, gas. Don't need a driver to get a pull. This winter, between december and march I went out over 80 times. Multiply that times average of 1.5 hours each time = 120 hours on the hill.

I am thinking about giving up the boating and move to reno/tahoe area.
Hot sun, women in bikinis, and easy, cheap drinking with tons of friends. I am thinking about giving up snowboarding. It is harder on my old bones also.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-15-2013, 7:10 PM Reply   
See attached.
Attached Images

Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-15-2013, 7:20 PM Reply   
California delta!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-15-2013, 11:29 PM Reply   
Looks like the chick on the left has her right foot in the left binding.
Old     (jtiblier123)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-16-2013, 4:54 AM Reply   
mid florida
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-16-2013, 6:23 AM Reply   
She has her legs crossed
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-16-2013, 7:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pad1Tai View Post
Lake Conroe, Texas <$500K........ Lots of party restaurants.. ( even Mc D's has a dock...) Trinity River is a short pull away with eternal butter conditions... Long Summers..
For the win!
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-16-2013, 7:24 AM Reply   
Another vote for Conroe. Only negative is that good water is tough to find but if you live on the water after work sets during the week or early morning weekend sets are where it is at. If we go out on the weekends now it is typically just to cruise around, go out to eat, hang out at the beach etc. Plus like was already mentioned if you really want to ride on the weekends nothing beats the Trinity which is less than an hour.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-16-2013, 8:45 AM Reply   
Dax, you forgot Tellico Lake in East TN. Almost as convenient to Knoxville as Ft Loudon and a heck of a lot cleaner/clearer. Of course its nice that you can just boat from Ft Loudon to the Tellicoor vice-versa if one desires. Actually, you can lock through Ft Loudon dam and head to Watts Bar as well.
Jman
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-16-2013, 11:57 AM Reply   
I'll sell you a house here for 1mil...the one on the right side of the lake. Shortline Lake. The boat is pulling up to your new dock.
Attached Images

Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-16-2013, 12:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
the carolina's fit all those needs, give or take feb and march, but the lake is 70's now and will push 80's by mid may and stay that way until x mas. dirt cheap to live, little to no property tax and you can buy a 4000 sq ft home on the wate for 500kr or 350's across from the water. close to charlotte, airport and you can ski all winter in the north east part of north carolina. 4 to 6000 feet elevation. Great mt biking, motox parks, ultimate 4x4 in the smoky's and be at the beach in 3 hours.

we moved here form pgh pa and wish we would have many years ago. lake wylie, waterie, norman, mt island, murray and many more.
Sounds like heaven.
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       04-16-2013, 12:44 PM Reply   
Clear Lake in Orlando if you wanna meet some pros. Doesn't have restaurants though.
Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-16-2013, 1:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pad1Tai View Post
Just moved to the woodlands.. Going to need a location map of lake.. Tie-up spots. riding spots, etc
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-16-2013, 8:25 PM Reply   
Oops, my lake is a total fail.
1) 6 hours away
2) large body of water but you get some really entertaining storms
3) on lake restaurants and bars are only 30-45 minutes away by boat (not many)
4) LOL an empty lot that won't ever get any services is over 400k
5) well, the water is almost warm for three months but does not have ice for much of the year.

Oh well, I guess it won't get more crowded.

Last edited by rallyart; 04-16-2013 at 8:27 PM.