Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-06-2012, 1:02 PM Reply   
I am on Centurylink for my home internet service. I currently have to pay a $5 a month lease fee for the modem/router. My speed is 7mbps and i just uped it to 12 mbps. I asked them if i still have to rent the modem or if I can buy it now (my only option last year when i signed up was to rent it). They said i can now buy it for $100 and if I did they would send me out the latest and greatest modem.

The one i have now is a Actiontec Q1000 . It does everything we need it to do but i was trying to figure out if i can just buy one on my own or if i have to get one through century link. The $100 seemed excessive so i was hoping to get recommendations on a cheaper one that is comparable.

Let me know if you have any advice or if you need any other info from me. We have 1 computer in the house but a handful of devices that access the wireless (iphones, ps3, mediaplayer, etc...)

Thanks for the help.
Old    9Drozd            07-06-2012, 7:20 PM Reply   
I also have Centurylink at home. 12mbps. When I signed up I just went and bought my own modem and router. I had to manually set up the router, but my internet flies. So you should be good buying one from them or going out and buying your own.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-08-2012, 7:09 AM Reply   
Have either of you tried Speedtest.net for your speed check? My Centurylink sucks. Been working with techs for a month now and I'm reaching my limit. 10M here, usually runs about 2-6M depending on what time of day. The tech stated they give me 12M to make sure it delivers 10M. It was not always like this (Slow). BTW, I've connected wireless, wired and even moved the modem to outside to remove the house wiring.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-08-2012, 12:27 PM Reply   
i have never had problems with speed or connection with centurylink/qwest. the test came in at 6.96 mbps on my 7mbps connection(on wireless). My upgrade to 12 mbps is next week. i must be in a good area for centurylink.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-09-2012, 6:09 PM Reply   
Thanks Tings. Good to know.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-24-2012, 12:31 PM Reply   
Got Xfinity a week or so ago. I'm now running 10-20Mps. It's nice to have some decent internet speeds. When I canceled the Centurylink, they couldn't have cared less.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-24-2012, 7:15 PM Reply   
I'm looking to move from Comcast to 10mbps Centurylink.

We get dropped daily with Concast, don't get our paid for speed, and since I don't have any other services from them I pay way too much.

Anyone know if the Centurylink modems have any issues with Xbox LIVE connections? I've not dived too deep yet, but I know that some gateways (modems and routers in one) have issues with the UDP protocol used for Xbox LIVE and that would be a complete deal breaker for me.
Old    deltahoosier            11-26-2012, 12:25 PM Reply   
Sean. If you buy basic cable with comcast, it is actually cheaper than having Internet alone. I don't use the basic cable side. Just food for thought.