Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-18-2006, 7:35 AM Reply   
I finally landed a whirly!! After a couple months of trying, and a couple hard ass hits, I stuck it. You can't tell from this pic, but I did ride away. YEEEA!! What's next??

Upload
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-18-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
Good work Brandon! Going to need to see it soon, your place or mine.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-18-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
large.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-18-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
Jeff, bring it on, come up anytime you like. Weekends are kick ass up here.......in Fresno, yeah Fresno (wink).

Thane-- what the hell you been up to lately? One of these days, we need to ride.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-18-2006, 3:44 PM Reply   
I would think that Thane has been learning a fdw new tricks also...http://www.wakeworld.com/Galleries/GetImage.asp?GalleryID=402&ImageID=47
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-18-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
YEAH DOOOD!!! Thats rad. Looks like you ditched the helmet huh?
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-18-2006, 5:14 PM Reply   
Andy naw man...I wear it all the time. When I first tryed them, you better believe that I wore it. Any time I try something for the first time, I wear the hell out of it.

When you gonna be in SoCal?
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-18-2006, 5:17 PM Reply   
Hell yeah Thane, that's what I like to see!!
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       11-26-2006, 11:27 PM Reply   
here you Brandon, this is your whirly from the start
Upload
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-05-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
dude, that's HUGE. Really sweet! Since you just landed it, give us your "how to" so others (me as well) can learn off someone that has it fresh in their mind.

Consider that we can all do a tantrum and start from there. I need to work on this!
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-05-2006, 7:14 PM Reply   
Keith,
When I started learning them, I watched all the videos. They all said to basically,"try to punch yourself in the face." So that's what I did.

At first, I wasn't getting my hand across my face, and I would end up doing a weird ass tantrum to blind-thing. The biggest thing, is to really wait and make sure that you pop off the top of the wake. Once you do, you have to really pull your arm across your face. More than likely you won't be able to see anything, I still can't. I have since learned to "feel" my arm go around twice, and when it does, I pull my lead hand back to my lead hip to stop my rotation. Once my feel that second pull, I start looking for the water.

For a few of the most recent attempts, I wasn't popping enough, and I was landing bent over at the waist. Murray told me that I need to get off my edge more aggressively, so that I have more straight up pop.

When watching the vids, I thought they were crazy telling me to try to punch myself, but they are all right on the money. Just grab your balls and try it a few times, and you'll start to "feel" it for yourself. Good luck.
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-05-2007, 7:06 PM Reply   
wat a great trick... and very nicely done by the way
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       02-14-2007, 6:12 PM Reply   
How close have you come to actually punching yourself in the face?

Congrat's, that has to be a good feeling... I've tried the whirly several times, there's always something holding me back... Not enough pop, can't get my arm across my face, bad driver (J/K)... You know what I mean right?

-Blake
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-21-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
Blake- you can see in the pics that my arm isn't really that close to me. You really just have to concentrate on pulling your arm across head and the trick will take over and rotate you around. The main thing is to hold on....if you don't commit to it, you'll end up doing a Tantrum to Blind looking thing that can really hurt when you hit the water.
Old     (jeff_altman)      Join Date: May 2002       02-22-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
Sup Brandon, that looks sweet, nice work. I am hoping to get up that way one of these weekends soon.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-02-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
so when you hit the wake on a normal tantrum you are rotating with your arm out in front of you. the punch toward your face would be that arm holding the handle being brought backwards across your face correct?