Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-16-2014, 11:11 AM Reply   
So I've wakesurfed all of last season and I wanted to get a board of my own. I have ridden a handful of boards and have found that I enjoy riding shorter boards better than longer boards.
I am about 5'11-6' and weigh about 220-230 during the warmer months typically.
I have ridden the following boards in order and here's my opinions on them and why I chose the board I did.

Hyperlite Broadcast 4'9:
Can freeride, but just have never REALLY liked riding it.

Liquid Force Fish 5'6:
First board I freerode, very stable. Fun for a while, especially when tired. Easy to sink the nose, hard to maneuver, feels like a pig.

Ronix Caption 4'8:
Easy to freeride and maneuver, regular board I ride. I can recover pearling most of the time. Very fun board.

React 4'0 (small NW manufacturer, now out of business, board is foam/fiberglass, not compression molded): Very easy to ride when you get your feet in the sweet spot. Extremely easy to maneuver, pretty quick, but still very stable. I could ride this board forever, easily my favorite.

O'Neil Alias 5'0: This board seemed very slippery and had a lot of characteristics as the Broadcast, if the broadcast was sprayed with Crisco first. Not a bad board, but not my cup of tea.

So from all of these, I wanted to find something that was similar to the React. I definitely wanted a small board and one that was a foam core instead of compression molded. I found this for a steal and bought it.

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.p...uct/205-boost/

I haven't heard any reviews on this maker or board in particular, but looking at the pictures and specs it is really similar, to the way the React was made, even though it is 3" shorter at 3'9".
I know it says it has a weight limit of 120lbs, but I know for certain I am well above the weight limits for every one of those boards except the Fish. I have been able to ride the React better than all the other boards and the weight limit on that is probably really close, if not the same as the Wavezone Boost.

So, what do you think?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-16-2014, 11:34 AM Reply   
If you like surf style there are better options. The boost is a skim style board and my guess is it will be very squirly compared to the boards you have listed
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-16-2014, 11:40 AM Reply   
I was actually looking for a skim style. I want to work more on my spins and know that surf style boards aren't really meant for that.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-16-2014, 11:47 AM Reply   
Consider Phase5 or Victoria skimboards. Many of the previous boards you mentioned are price point boards.

You are going to have to spend more to get the higher performance boards. On the other hand, you may be able to find one used.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-16-2014, 12:01 PM Reply   
Agreed on the higher end boards. I want to ride one before I throw down that much on one. Afaik, there is no dealer for those around here with a demo plan. I'm planning on going to this year's polar bear where I'll get to ride a lot of those boards and get an educated opinion on them.
Most of the guys I ride with haven't been riding that long and haven't thrown a lot of money into boards since we're still fairly new to it.
As I said, I found this board for a steal, significantly less than retail and couldn't pass it up.
It will be the first actual skim style board to our available lineup. I'm sure the other guys will be anxious to try it as well.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-16-2014, 12:05 PM Reply   
there was a killer deal on a P5 in Portland...
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-16-2014, 12:07 PM Reply   
Ya, I checked CL first and do regularly for any deals. That was already gone this morning though.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-16-2014, 12:41 PM Reply   
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/4319798995.html probably could talk him down a tad bit too, I have this feeling that if you think the alias is loose your going to think the same thing about a lot of other skims
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-16-2014, 12:49 PM Reply   
I missed that one. Out of my price range atm. As I said, I picked it up on a steal, price too good, I'm not sure anyone would pass it up. It just happened to be the same kind of construction and similar size I was looking for, that sealed the deal.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-16-2014, 1:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
I missed that one. Out of my price range atm. As I said, I picked it up on a steal, price too good, I'm not sure anyone would pass it up. It just happened to be the same kind of construction and similar size I was looking for, that sealed the deal.
That's my P5 board for sale in that PDX Craigslist ad.

What's your price range?

It's in great shape, no structural damage, and always stored in a board bag.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-16-2014, 1:33 PM Reply   
I was looking for around $200 or under. Cheap I know, but I was mainly cruising for deals when I found the one I bought.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-16-2014, 6:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
I was looking for around $200 or under. Cheap I know, but I was mainly cruising for deals when I found the one I bought.
Ah, good for you. Just look hard enough, and there are indeed deals to be had.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-17-2014, 12:39 AM Reply   
Ya, I managed to pick the board up for roughly half price. For the money, I figured I couldn't go wrong, and if it didn't work out for me, I could probably unload it and at least break even or make a few bucks.
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-18-2014, 10:35 AM Reply   
bro my experience is when you buy cheap thats what you get. spend the money and get a good quality built hand made board. dont get any of the press board mass manufactured stuff. check out day1wake.com great boards reasonably priced and great guys to work with.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-18-2014, 11:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyballa3 View Post
bro my experience is when you buy cheap thats what you get. spend the money and get a good quality built hand made board. dont get any of the press board mass manufactured stuff. check out day1wake.com great boards reasonably priced and great guys to work with.
This is a hand made board. I didn't want a compression molded mass produced board.
The React I rode was hand made foam and glass and is the reason I only wanted to buy a hand made foam and glass board.

As I said before, I'm going to the Polar Bear event this year and get to ride plenty of choice boards and figure out what I really want to drop a lot of money on. Other than that React, I don't know anyone personally who has anything other than compression molded boards, so I have to wait until then to get some first hand experience.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       02-24-2014, 12:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
So I've wakesurfed all of last season and I wanted to get a board of my own. I have ridden a handful of boards and have found that I enjoy riding shorter boards better than longer boards.
I am about 5'11-6' and weigh about 220-230 during the warmer months typically.
I have ridden the following boards in order and here's my opinions on them and why I chose the board I did.

Hyperlite Broadcast 4'9:
Can freeride, but just have never REALLY liked riding it.

Liquid Force Fish 5'6:
First board I freerode, very stable. Fun for a while, especially when tired. Easy to sink the nose, hard to maneuver, feels like a pig.

Ronix Caption 4'8:
Easy to freeride and maneuver, regular board I ride. I can recover pearling most of the time. Very fun board.

React 4'0 (small NW manufacturer, now out of business, board is foam/fiberglass, not compression molded): Very easy to ride when you get your feet in the sweet spot. Extremely easy to maneuver, pretty quick, but still very stable. I could ride this board forever, easily my favorite.

O'Neil Alias 5'0: This board seemed very slippery and had a lot of characteristics as the Broadcast, if the broadcast was sprayed with Crisco first. Not a bad board, but not my cup of tea.

So from all of these, I wanted to find something that was similar to the React. I definitely wanted a small board and one that was a foam core instead of compression molded. I found this for a steal and bought it.

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.p...uct/205-boost/

I haven't heard any reviews on this maker or board in particular, but looking at the pictures and specs it is really similar, to the way the React was made, even though it is 3" shorter at 3'9".
I know it says it has a weight limit of 120lbs, but I know for certain I am well above the weight limits for every one of those boards except the Fish. I have been able to ride the React better than all the other boards and the weight limit on that is probably really close, if not the same as the Wavezone Boost.

So, what do you think?
Have to disagree on the fish being easy to sink the nose. Sure, it's a pig, but it's got a ton of rocker on the nose and it's specificaly designed to NOT be one that you'd sink the nose on. That was one of the things that sold me on it when I demo'd it with AWS last spring. Now, what I will say is that because it's designed to NOT sink the nose, that if you actually do make the front end take a dive, it's nearly impossible to recover once you're that far gone.

Also, I'll caution you in one area. You've said you've enjoyed the 4' board the most. But you've also ridden it behind one of the best waves you've had available to you. So the COMBO of a 4' board with a premium wave vs. the 4'9" board with an 'average' wave is not a fair comparison.

Just things to think about.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       02-24-2014, 12:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCObray View Post
Ah, good for you. Just look hard enough, and there are indeed deals to be had.
Agreed! The 4'8" Ronix Caption is mine and I got it off CL for $30 because I was able to POUNCE on it.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-24-2014, 12:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
Have to disagree on the fish being easy to sink the nose. Sure, it's a pig, but it's got a ton of rocker on the nose and it's specificaly designed to NOT be one that you'd sink the nose on. That was one of the things that sold me on it when I demo'd it with AWS last spring. Now, what I will say is that because it's designed to NOT sink the nose, that if you actually do make the front end take a dive, it's nearly impossible to recover once you're that far gone.

Also, I'll caution you in one area. You've said you've enjoyed the 4' board the most. But you've also ridden it behind one of the best waves you've had available to you. So the COMBO of a 4' board with a premium wave vs. the 4'9" board with an 'average' wave is not a fair comparison.

Just things to think about.
1: I borrowed the Ronix that one day and was able to compare it back to back versus the React behind the VLX. Same wave and conditions, different boards, I still preferred the shorter board. I also rode the Alias behind the VLX the same day and wasn't a big fan.
2: I do love riding the Ronix, but was looking for something similar to the React. I also want to try riding skim instead of surf. There are generally more trick options skim style vs surf style. Skim style also typically require less of a steep wave.
3: We have so many pics and videos of the fish nose diving. It is weighted and designed with a rear bias to keep the nose out of the water, but the slightest bit on the tip sinks it easily.
4: For the price I got it for, there's no way I could pass it up, I don't think anyone on here would.
5: Das Boot!
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       02-24-2014, 1:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
1:
3: We have so many pics and videos of the fish nose diving. It is weighted and designed with a rear bias to keep the nose out of the water, but the slightest bit on the tip sinks it easily.
Disagree. what keeps the nose from diving is the ROCKER of the nose of the board. I had a nice conversation with the Liquid Force Rep when I Demo'd this board last spring.

I honestly think that if the Fish was so tip sinkable, then there'd be no way I could do this:

Going down and standing back up from that certainly pushes the board down in the water and if it submarined THAT easily, I'd never be able to pull it off. I think that the sinking the nose you're thinking of has more to do with us being learning riders than anything else. The Ronix Caption would nose-sink 10x easier than the Fish.

Not that any of that really matters, as I sold my Fish and will be riding my Ronix Koal Fish this season.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-24-2014, 1:11 PM Reply   
As I said, weighted and DESIGNED, the rocker is an integral part of the design.
But yes, it is a moot point now.
Speaking of pictures like that though, where is the Sombrero gif? Ole!
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       02-24-2014, 1:23 PM Reply   
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-24-2014, 5:36 PM Reply   
Those boards will make nice benches once your skills out grow them which for most is less than a season
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-24-2014, 5:39 PM Reply   
Tryson we ride those spots from time to time. Ill keep my eye out for you and give you a set on a real board you will never look back
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-24-2014, 5:48 PM Reply   
Just got it delivered today.
Here it is in comparison to my Hyperlite 143. Yes it's dusty. It's been in my garage that doubles as a workshop since November.

Also to h20king, we're out there a lot for evening runs in the week and Saturday morning runs, sometimes Sundays. Normally where you see the pics taken. We must miss you because I've never seen your boat out and about. We do favor times when no one is on the water though.
I know we'd be willing to take you up on your offer though. Hit us up if you see us.
Attached Images

Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-24-2014, 6:01 PM Reply   
For sure we will be in a new 226 this year. I have one of each of the Soulcraft boards and a phase 5 carbon drew. Might just be easier to just plan on meeting up. We start riding early season in a couple months at Lacamus lake cause the water is warmer than the river LOL
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-24-2014, 8:53 PM Reply   
your boards are to big Harold... they wont like em
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-24-2014, 9:08 PM Reply   
What size are they? I'm the exception, I like the smaller boards. Trayson on the other hand is the opposite. A quote from him about the 4'8 caption, "It could use another 6 inches"
Personally I could care less about the size and more on how it rides.
I mean unless you have some huge 6' longboards or something it'll be fine.
I'm looking to start riding as soon as anyone is ready. I'm fine with 50 degree temps in my shorty. It's been a long 3 months out of the water.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-25-2014, 4:30 AM Reply   
My boards start at 4'7" and go up from there
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       02-25-2014, 8:25 AM Reply   
FWIW, I've ridden some really nice custom boards that Ryan "Newty" has. But I've only been out with Ryan once, so I haven't had a chance to ride his boards since I've upped my skill.

I need to do some work on my boat before we get it in the water. The bilge pump was crapping out at the end of last season and I have to pull the gas tank to repack the rudder packing rope... UGH. Always something.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-14-2014, 10:37 PM Reply   
So I finally got out today to ride it for the first time. I was able to slack the rope with it but not free ride because the rear got too squirrely. I think it's because it has a really long, but small fin in the back made for a less steep wake. There was no fin touching the wake most of the time. I liked the way it felt, but couldn't really enjoy it because nothing was biting in the wake to help it track.

I like the idea of a skim style board, but I don't think with our wake one will pan out very well. I am looking for a larger thruster type fin to replace it with and essentially ride it like a surf style. Does anyone know any good places to find fins? The kind I need is a 2 screw mount.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       05-14-2014, 11:04 PM Reply   
Evo or wakemakers? Or hell, maybe ebay?

Or talk to Vince, he doesn't like fins and might have some he'll want to get rid of.