Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-23-2003, 6:35 PM Reply   
I currently ride a Belmont 140, but since I ride on a small wake I am looking for more pop. I need help deciding which board to buy for next season. My skill level is intermediate and, at my age (44), I also want a board that lands well.
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-23-2003, 6:52 PM Reply   
I am riding the 04 Byerly and am lovin it. I was riding the 02 Premier beforehand just for reference. I haven't ridden a lot of boards so my comparisons are weak but so far I like the board because of the way it rides, not because of some gimmicky "flow through" technology. I never rode any of the Byerly's before so I can't say what the "flow through" technology is really doing.

Here are my Comparisons of the two boards.
Premier:
Average Pop
Consistent
Average Landings
Average Speed
Really Loose (especially finless)

Byerly:
Faster than the premier but not as fast as say a Parks
Good Pop (But again not as much as the Parks)
Really Cushy Landings
Really Forgiving in stomping down Landings (This board seems to keep me on top of the water a lot more )
Better than Average Tracking

Having said all this I do miss the loosness of the Premier, but I am willing to give that up for the forgiveness of the Byerly. I can't get used to the Parks because it is probably to aggressive for my style of riding. All in all I would say of all the boards I've ridden, for my style of riding, I have felt most comfortable riding the new byerly. I have been told I look the most comfortable as well by my some of my riding buddies. Some boards I want to try because of what I have heard of them that seem most suitable to my style of riding are the Double Up Nelson and Liquid Force Substance and Trip.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-23-2003, 7:56 PM Reply   
from what i have heard the byerly can be release well of the wake.
Old    lachlantait            11-23-2003, 10:01 PM Reply   
hay wheres the 'man' of the hour justin buti.... im sure he can help you out on a review... hehehe
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-23-2003, 10:41 PM Reply   
I have been riding Byerly Boards the last 4 years, I ride the Byerly 2003 137 and I would never trade it for the Premiere or the Parks, also have you tried the Byerly 2004 the 137 is such an amazing feeling board. Byerly all the way.
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-24-2003, 1:38 PM Reply   
Thanks for your responses. I was already leaning towards the Byerly so I will start lookin for a 2003 142. On my Belmont, I would come in to the wake with a progressive edge and would "stand tall" as I released at the top of the wake. Will I have to change my approach on the Byerly?
Old    maverick_gear            11-25-2003, 1:59 AM Reply   
Man if you can go ride both, i think the premier would be better for you coming off a belmont, try em first!
Old     (cramey)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-25-2003, 6:06 AM Reply   
I rode the 02,03,04 byerly 142, with my absolute favorite being the 03 dna. I traded out the 04 as soon as i rode it once.

the premier seems very slow to me.

the parks is like a rocket ship with a huge rocker, its a pretty advanced board.
Old     (sw1)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-25-2003, 9:47 AM Reply   
richard--
I ride a TFD 142 Bio and like it alot it is very stable and has good pop off of the small wake my four winns makes. It also has forgiving landings!

You might check out www.glassandpowder.com they are having killer deals on closeout items--I just got the 03 parks bindings for $215
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-07-2003, 7:30 AM Reply   
chris said it best. the 2003 byerly dna is by far my favororite board of all time. i broke the 04 byerly in a week, got the 04 premier and it is for sale now.....CHEAP. why because it sucks donkey balls, it is the slowest board i have ever ridden and the drag make everyday riding feel like you are riding in wet cement.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-07-2003, 7:44 AM Reply   
Coming from a Belmont you may want to steer towards the Premeir or TFD. The Byerly will be almost the complete opposite of what you are used to.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-07-2003, 9:35 AM Reply   
A Hyperlite Temet has a continous rocker that allows more pop. As for the small wake, get some weight in that boat, you will be flying soon!!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       12-07-2003, 8:30 PM Reply   
Actually, both rocker types provide a lot of pop, it's just about what kind you want and what the rider can control (3 stage= more of a bucking, wake to wake deal, continuous=up and out). Like I said, they'll all work, it's just about what you're into. good luck! I have tried out the byerly (03) and premier for fun and I didn't like either board, so I wouldn't be a lot of help in that department.
Old    hyperlytemaiden            12-08-2003, 5:16 PM Reply   
The nice thing about the 2004 Byerly and 2004 Premier is that they are both a NEW shape. The 2004 Byerly has flow through technology that will keep the board on a strong edge and ride quicker into the turns, with a deeper center beam for smoother landings. The NEW 2004 Premier has a deep step down rail and cupped rails which will offer more responsive grip on the wake as well as a smoother ride into the wake because of the wide tip and tail. Another option would also be the 2003 Premier which is the 2004 ERA this is going to give you a classic ride because of the V bottom the water gets broken up to help with softer landings along with offering you a strong edge through the wake and some nice air as well. I hope that this bit of info has helped you.
Old     (derrick_lenz)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-08-2003, 9:55 PM Reply   
might i suggest saving your money and spending it on wakeboarding lessons? i've never seen you ride but as someone who teaches wakeboarding every day as my job i've learned this...there's tons of people that think that a new board is magically going to make a difference in their riding. while you may get a board that lands softer there most likely won't be a difference in the hieght of your jumps. however with several sets of professional instruction you most likely notice a big differnce and learn a couple of new tricks/ learn the proper mechanics that will allow you to progress fast on your own.