Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       06-14-2009, 10:03 PM Reply   
Anyone use these for wakeboarding they look pretty good?
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-14-2009, 10:10 PM Reply   
I use them for wakeboarding because I did not want to spend over a grand for cti's.

They are a bit bulky, making it more difficult to do certain tricks and/or grabs, and take a few sets to get used to wearing them.

My favorite part is that you can adjust how much your leg will extend with a set screw, so it protects very well against hyperextension.
Old     (infantryman2oo2)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-15-2009, 3:22 AM Reply   
do you use the germ or the cell
Old     (borka)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-15-2009, 4:53 AM Reply   
Very good stuff for FMX, but not for watersports. My vote for CTI.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-15-2009, 10:20 AM Reply   
I use the cell. I got them for my dirtbike to prevent knee injuries. I have really healthy knees and want to keep them that way. So I tried them out on the water. I have been going bigger this year and so far so good.

If you have the cash, def. go with the CTI's.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-15-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
Boris. Why do you say they are not good for watersports? I am no doctor, but I have talked to people with injured knees that wear braces, and they see no problem with me using them. Motorcycle riders take different types of falls than we do, obviously, but they take way harder, fast falls to dirt. The asterisk braces help to prevent hyperextension, lateral movement, and torsional movement.

those are the 3 ways to wreck a knee.

Any info would be appreciated, I do not want to cause harm to my knees by wearing the wrong braces, but I do not see what would be wrong by wearing them.
Old     (borka)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-15-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
John, im not a doc to, its just my personal opinion. I saw many newbies who used snowboard helmets on the water. They dont have any prodlem with it. You must admit that it not so comfortable... About Asterisk - i try to use it and have some prob with back laces and buckles.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-15-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
Yeah it definately takes getting used to. I have used them everytime i have ridden this season and now I can't imagine riding without them.

I had a buckle break on mine and sent it back and they fixed it.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-15-2009, 8:42 PM Reply   
I wear a cell brace. Works good for me. I know a couple other people that wear them, no one has any complaints for the brace/value.
Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       06-15-2009, 9:07 PM Reply   
I am currently using a evs web brace and it works ok but slips down my legs alot causing it to get out of place which is actually worse for the knee than not wearing one at all sometimes, like when it slipped during a tantrum last summer and tore some cartilidge, has anyone worn both and can give me a yea or nay wether i should change to the asterisk. It looks to be alot more secure than the web which only secures with velcro that easily comes loose... I have to secure the evs with electrical tape... hahahah. And I was wondering what i looked like with all the mx eqip. like the knee protector cup and etc removed.... thanks
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-15-2009, 9:57 PM Reply   
Sorry mason, only have experience with the cell.

I can tell you the pros and cons of my experience:

Pros: Easy to tighten and loosen (I can quickly loosen them up when I fall if I need to, then tighten em real tight again before I get pulled up)
They have not slipped on me yet, however, I wear them really tight.
You can remove the knee caps easily.
You can adjust the amount of extension easily.
$600 for both

cons: bulky and restrictive.
not a custom fit brace, so you may need to wear em real tight, possibly making your feet fall asleep after a long set.
not the lightest brace compared to a CTI
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-16-2009, 4:29 AM Reply   
I have both an asterisk and an off the shelf CTi . I actually prefer the asterisk because it feels more "locked in". There is more material touching your skin therefore less migration and movement, plus it is easier to tighten and release. A con to that would be that it is harder to bend your leg for a grab but IMO is better right when you first riding because it provides more support when landing a little hard which is great right after you get back on the board!

I will eventually migrate to my CTi as my legs get stronger because it allows me more free movement in bending my knees. It feels looser no matter how tight I crank it on my leg.

It may be psychological but I feel the asterisk gives me more support.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-16-2009, 6:22 AM Reply   
I bought the CTI about 2 month ago and have used it about 6 times since. I love it. The Cti is awesome. I paid about 500 for it at Med Therapies Inc.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-16-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
Don, which one did you get?
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-16-2009, 9:28 AM Reply   
I do have a bit of trouble with the cell migrating. My leg is somewhat inbetween sizes of braces. What I do for this is to wear a neoprene sleeve. You might want to try this for your current brace. The sleeve secures the brace by making up the little bit of extra meat my leg needs for a large brace.
Old     (dcb)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-16-2009, 8:56 PM Reply   
I use the cell braces, in the past i had a cti of the self brace and it is not nearly as good. Trim the laces on the cells and your good to go.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-17-2009, 6:19 AM Reply   
Hey Gene. I got it at the brace shop.
www.braceshop.com
I called them and they were very helpful and got it fast with no problems. It was also the cheapest place i found.548.00 for a Cti Pro Sport
Old     (wakedork)      Join Date: May 2009       06-17-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
I have a pair of cells size large I used for MX i will sell if anybody is interested.
Old     (m1tanker)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-17-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
I am how much?
Old     (borka)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-18-2009, 3:44 AM Reply   
Mason i find some link for you. Its not a custom brace, but many cheapest then CTI Custom PRO. I wear it before i both last one - works very good while wakeboarding & snowboarding. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CTi-Pro-Sport-OTS-Knee-Brace-Size-LARGE-L-RIGHT-Ossur_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el111 6QQhashZitem4833ccc2b6QQitemZ310106702518QQptZAppa relQ5fMerchandisehttp
And here - ://www.ossur.com/cti you can download cti calatog.
Good luck to find the best stuff for your knee!
Old     (wakedork)      Join Date: May 2009       06-18-2009, 7:11 AM Reply   
Mason mine are the old style before the new closure system, size large, One broken buckle, still closes and stays just release button broken, I'll take $200 plus shipping.