Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (rebel_ma)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-18-2005, 12:21 PM Reply   
OK, so our family are the proud new owners of a 2005 Calabria Pro-V. We had been saying forever that we were getting a boat. When we realized that our oldest kid only had three more summers before college we bit the bullet big time. Go Big or don't go, right! So they are beginner boarders but being kids (ten foot tall and bullet proof) they will learn at a much faster rate than me. But I really want to learn, too. Can I really learn to do this? How do I start? Help!
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-18-2005, 12:46 PM Reply   
Never too old to start!!!!! Congrats on the boat..
Your family will have alot of fun...
I would start with getting some instructional videos.--Detention, higher Ed, "the book", to name a few good ones. They will help with most of the basics. Also if you ask around I am sure someone with the basic's under there belt will be more than willing to jump in your boat and give you some pointers.. If you really wanna go for it, you can get a local instructor to help too.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-18-2005, 1:06 PM Reply   
Jessica,
As already stated, take a few lessons from local instructors. At our age, the falls can really slow us down, and taking lessons will make sure you have the proper fundamentals to assure fewer falls and optimal progression. It will be worth every penny.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-18-2005, 1:18 PM Reply   
wakeboarding is easy
Old     (fifitrixabelle)      Join Date: May 2004       03-18-2005, 1:39 PM Reply   
Welcome and congratulations! As they say in detention women generally have an easier time then men, so you will have that on your side. Look in the upcoming weeks at www.opgirlslearntoride.com to find a clinic in your area. I did it last year with a couple of friends and had a blast re-learning some of the stuff I had forgotten.. You'll catch on.. I promise!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-18-2005, 3:25 PM Reply   
Andy, over the years, I've ridden with more 25-year-old wakeboarders than I could ever count. The majority of them are not riding anymore for various reasons. I wish you the best of luck.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-18-2005, 5:22 PM Reply   
Congrats on the Pro V love those boats lol see my profile. Anyway, I started last summer took me 14 tries to get up. But when I did get up I was hooked. I only went out about 6-7 times and the kids got more turns then I, but I managed to get decent. Im am closing in on 40 in a few years and I am hoping to learn some decent tricks this year. The detention video really helps I think. I watch the things Murray does and picture myself doing them. I cant wait to get back out there. Good luck and practice practice practice
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-18-2005, 6:33 PM Reply   
Jessica,

You should definitely be able to pull it off. My week day crew consists of a 60 year old, 47 year old, myself 45 years old, a 42 year old and a 39 year old.

I started skiing when I was 8, I’m 45 now. About six years ago I made the switch from slalom skiing to wakeboarding. It was a bit tough for me to break skiing habits. I find that I can ride much longer on a wakeboard than on a slalom ski and so now I only slalom once in a while.

I’d recommend also buying a knee board. We have an O’Brian Black Magic knee board. This knee board has a handle hook on the front of the board. Getting up on the knee board is very easy, just put the ski handle on the hook, hold on to the front of the board. Get to your knees quickly when the board starts pulling, then pick up the handle. My 12 year old daughter’s friends get up on the first try ever. While knee boarding isn’t wakeboarding, it’s a good way to start, plus you can get used to the pull of the rope.
Old     (rebel_ma)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-18-2005, 8:41 PM Reply   
Awesome help! Thanks to all. a few questions tho.. my daughters board is a hyperlite syn 132 with Vargas bindings. My sister has a fluid 137 with spin bindings, which should I try? Does it matter that much? Also which video will we all get the most use out of (My kids and Me: Son 16, daughters 14 & 12)

PS: Daniel, sweet boat. Is that Tiger lilly? or a red I can't tell from my less than stellar monitor. (Spent it all on the boat!)
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-18-2005, 9:31 PM Reply   
Jes, it's Orange Black & White. I just got the Sterio system put in last week. I took it to the lake the other day and had a friend drive it out to the middle of the lake and I could still here the music nice and clear. Anyway, I have a fluid 137 with spin bindings and I love it. Im pretty much an amature so I don;t really know much about the boards. Email some pics of your boat!!!!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-19-2005, 7:54 AM Reply   
Jessica,

Congrats on the new boat. Very nice!

As far as age, don't worry. I know many persons in their 40's and above who have a blast wakeboarding. I am 46, and thing of just about nothing else but boarding and my other girlfriend (my new Bu). During the summer I will probably be out 2-3 times/week, and sometimes spend 8-10 hours at the lake. As far as being safe and injury free, just start out easy, and work your way up. Sure you can get hurt, but you can do the same playing many other sports, and probably not have as much fun as wakeboarding. I personally feel that the majority of injuries come from going to fast, riding beyond you abilities, and trying tricks that you may not be ready for. We could sit at home and watch TV if we wanted to feel old and out of shape. Best thing to do is either get a lesson from someone reputable, or get together with a couple regular riders and have them help you out. There are many on this board that are great riders, and sometimes have to beg and plead for a ride on a boat. They are willing to pitch in for gas, munchies, and clean-up, etc. Maybe you could work out a trade for a couple beginner lessons. I know I would be more than willing to help out if I was closer. We have probably taught 30-35 first-timers. It is great to see the smiles when they get up the first time and start cruising. They get hooked pretty fast. Yea, your kids will love it, and possibly smoke right past you, but no big deal. Like was said above, the videos are great. I think I have them all, and have had first timers watch a couple segments before their first trip.

Best of luck. If you have any questions, this is a great place to get help.
Old     (rebel_ma)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-19-2005, 8:21 AM Reply   
Thanks for the kind words. That was my fear really of being to old to start. And what to do once you get up! I don't worry (that much!)about getting hurt you can break your ankle falling off a curb! The kids get up right away but all the boarders in our circle are for the most part at the same level as all of us. and now that we have OUR OWN boat I can insist on some time in the water myself instead of being the perpetual flagger! and ok i know i'm forty but i want to learn to do more than just get up! I'll look around for a clinic or some more advanced riders to move us along the right path. any thoughts on the right board to start as mentioned above?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-19-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
Jessica,

Looks like you are in the Naci/San Antonio area. I know there are MANY here on the site that are in your area. I would suggest putting in a post in the "Find a third" area, and put in your post what you are looking for. I am pretty sure you would find someone to help you out.

I know what you mean about everyone in your circle being at the same level. With a few exceptions, almost everyone in the past couple years have been about the same level on my boat. Of course there have been exceptions. Ryan B, Kevin, Blake, Paula, etc. You guys smoke! I am just an average rider, partly because I have never had a lesson, (I'm an old fart!), I don't try too much as far as spins, etc. I hope to someday do some type of invert, roll, flip, etc, but do not know if that will happen. I have a blast where I am at, but do want to polish up my technique and progress to the next level. Coming from a runabout the past few years, to a VLX is a huge move. Now I can have a nice wake, perfect pass, etc. and after a few lessone and coaching from the better riders, progress.

You are definately not too old to start. My first WB ride was 4 years ago. Cross-training and being in good overall physical shape is also very important. My only real injury was a torn abdominal in August. I was probably going too fast, landed wrong, bindings did not let go, etc. One other factor was probably that my abs are in crap shape too. I really need to do sit-ups, etc. Also do a good stretch before you ride. You never want your first stretch to be during a fall. A bit too fast!

OK, I am starting to ramble. Try a post in the other area. I bet you will get some takers who would love to take a ride on tour new baby.

Best of luck!

Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-19-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
kinda in the same boat (pun intended !!!)

bought a boat in nov. and started riding with the aid of drysuit in so cal..

here are some tips that helped me...

1. ride with the best local riders you can find...
they are a wealth of knowledge in regards to all aspects of boating, wakeboarding, and where to go (and getting my board/bindings set up right) not to mention they are a lot of fun to go out with..i have met some great people and have had the most fun the last 5 months than i can remember..

2. pickup a wakeskate "after" you are comfortable with getting up and crossing the wake...
it is amazing how much you can learn from a couple sessions on one....riding one the last 3 weeks has really accelerated my learning curve in a very short period of time...gives a whole new experience to heels, toes, edging,
btw, a wakeskate is a lot of fun to ride....(i think wakeskates are wakeboardings best kept secret)

3. take pics or a videocamera so you can see what you are doing righr and wrong...

4. get out as much as you can...

hope that helps !!!!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-19-2005, 10:16 AM Reply   
Buzz, I just looked at your profile, all I have to say is.....Saweeeeeeeet Boat buddy!!!!!!!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-19-2005, 4:21 PM Reply   
Danie,

Thanks. I doubt there is anoyne on this board that put as much time and research into finally getting one (well, there might be, but you know what I mean)or had more sleepless nights waiting for it at the factory. I know there is probably no one happier!!

Sorry for the hijack. At least I kept it short for a change!
Old     (airmandy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-19-2005, 5:05 PM Reply   
Jessica,
Wakeboarding is so much fun, but I would recommend taking a lesson. I took lessons from Learn2Wakeboard and it really helped me to get a hang of the basics and a good form which later on is really important. The instructors are very nice and patient. I felt very comfortable. It also helps to learn with professional equipment (board, bindings etc.) Trust me it makes a big difference! My boyfriend and his buddies tried to teach me on an advance board when I was just starting out, and they didn't have any patience whatsoever. It was very frustrating.
Anyway, that's my recommendation. Check out their website: www.learn2wakeboard.com. Very nice people and flexible - they'll definitely accomodate your needs in a safe environment.
Good Luck!

(Message edited by airmandy on March 19, 2005)
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-19-2005, 9:03 PM Reply   
Mandy, I was thnking about going to those guys, how much was the class> If I remember right it was like 80 bucks half day 150 for the full day. How long did you get to ride and what level were you when you went to the school? And are they open this time of year?
Old     (rebel_ma)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-19-2005, 9:40 PM Reply   
I checked out the site. Looked pretty cool. prices are on the site. they take every level from never done it to advanced. first timers package was reasonable for the whole day.(around 110 bucks). Thanks Mandy

PS Daniel did you get the email of my boat pics? I couldn't get then to load here.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-20-2005, 3:29 PM Reply   
Jess, never reiceved any photos or email from u. I would love to check out your ride.
Old    clubjoeskier            03-20-2005, 6:14 PM Reply   
Jessica--Congrats on the Pro-V, and it's never too late to learn. I'm 43 and didn't try a wakeboard till about a year and a half ago, and very recently decided put some serious time into it. If you don't mind being sore and taking on a few learning crashes, its a blast, and a good workout! I'd like to see a pic of your boat too. I got a Pro-V last September...

I would def take lessons...you'll pick up so much skill with a coach on your butt!
Old     (rebel_ma)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-20-2005, 6:26 PM Reply   
ok so tell me how to load them here. it keeps telling me my pics are too big
Old    walt            03-20-2005, 6:50 PM Reply   
Jessica, Check your E-mail.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-20-2005, 7:13 PM Reply   
Send the pics to yourself.It will ask if you want to downsize the file.Do it,then post that pic.

Also,first lesson I took with Josh Smith.There was a lady riding that was 56!She was very cool.She just cruised,but had the stoke.
Old     (rebel_ma)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-20-2005, 7:35 PM Reply   
Ok Here goes I tried what everyone said. If this works it is the pic of our boat on the day we picked it up. In the Rain, at Castaic. My son said we all looked like Russian fisherman but I think we were way to happy to be confused with them. Someday if it stops raining we'll take her out and get a photo in the sun!
Old    walt            03-20-2005, 7:40 PM Reply   
Great looking boat Jessica !
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-20-2005, 7:40 PM Reply   
NICE!

If your riding at Castaic,you won't have a problem hooking up with riders.
Neeley rides there.
Old    clubjoeskier            03-20-2005, 7:44 PM Reply   
WOW...
Old     (air_dooley)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-20-2005, 7:53 PM Reply   
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!! Congrats!
Old     (rebel_ma)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-20-2005, 8:02 PM Reply   
Thanks Guys! I love her thats all that matters, right! But it sure don't hurt to know others think your boats sweet!

Rich - Naw I am on the central coast. Naci/San Antonio are my home lakes but we met our boat dealer half way.
Old     (momsmobius)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-20-2005, 10:52 PM Reply   
Jessica, You go girl!!! I'm almost 52 and get out there in April and don't stop until December and I live in the NorthEast. You are going to have a ball! The learning curve is a bit exaggerated at our age but who cares...it's just so much fun! Just take it slow and really get the basics down and don't give up. I would start with the 137, more surface for more stability. Good luck. Great looking boat, congrats!
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-21-2005, 9:14 AM Reply   
Two years ago we were out boarding on the river. We have some real good riders with us and are killing it all day. We end up talking to some old timers who said they would like to give the xstar wake a go. Se we head out after lunch and this fella is doing pretty good. Easily going w2w but not getting real high. Anyway, out of the blue this guy throws a backroll, head nearly scraping the water. We were impressed just because we didn't expect it. A few jumps later this guy chucks a raley. He gets his feet above his head and bails... CRASH. He sits in the water for a sec and then trys it again, and then a third time. Anyway, this guy proved that old doesn't mean fragile. He took 3 hard falls and got in the boat with a big smile on his face.

Note: This guy did lots of stretching before he started his run.
Old    leggester            03-21-2005, 9:23 AM Reply   
Sorry J, but you are too old to start.

No one over 40 skis, boards or foils anymore :-)
Old     (rebel_ma)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-21-2005, 11:30 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear that, Matt. So you stopped about 6 years ago, am I right? Guess you have to sit on the shore with me.

PS Your daughter is darling! I can see why she is your favorite rider.
Old    pappasurf            03-21-2005, 12:34 PM Reply   
If you are looking for a good instructional DVD I recomend the Book. I just recently got it, and it goes over everything from getting up the first time to advanced inverts. The cool thing is it is very in depth, and offers multiple coaches to choose from. They give you drills to help your edging and form as well as tips for trying new tricks. Plus it is something that you and your family will not outgrow since it goes through even the highly advanced tricks. I know quite a few riders that are over 40 and still throwing inverts. Have fun, I'm sure wakeboarding will help bring your family even closer together.