Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakecourage)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-14-2016, 11:31 AM Reply   
Looking to update my 2007 210 with 2013 decals (star with a shield).
Any tips on installing decals and where is the best place to purchase decals? As of now I will probably purchase them off nautiqueparts.com
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-14-2016, 11:47 AM Reply   
If you have never installed a large graphic like that then it's best to get help from a expert but if you can't get help from someone that's done it before. Here is my advice. Do it inside out of the wind. I would start out by using Aceatone on the side where the graphic is to be applied the Aceatone will remove all way and stuff that will help the graphic not stick. Try the Aceatone in a small out of the way area just to make sure it will not effect your finish. I have used Aceatone on MANY painted finished and have never had a reaction but better to double check on your finish.

Start by tapeing the graphic to the side of the boat where it's supposed to go.
Then with a Wax pencil make some registration marks on both the boat and the sticker that will allow you to line it up in the exact area once you peelback the paper.
When installing a large flat graphic like this it is a great idea to install it using a soapy water solution that way you can squeegee out any air bubbles or possible debris that might end up and it also gives you the ability to remove and reinstall if you happen to set it down in the wrong area
Take a large spray bottle and fill it to the top with water then add one drop of dish soap this is the perfect soap to water mixture.
What I do is tape down the sticker and then start by removing one half of the backside of the stickers protective covering. This leaves the other half of the sticker stuck to the side of your boat to aid in alignment and it's easier to deal with small pieces. Fullback the sticker and remove the adhesive backing and spray your boat with a good amount of soapy water solution don't worry about using too much. Lay down the sticker and line it up with the marks that you made. Very lightly squeegee out just enough water so that the sticker stays in place but don't squeegee out all the water . Then repeat the above steps to the other half of the sticker.
Now that the sticker is laid down and you're happy with it start in the center and start pushing out the water and bubbles towards the edge of the sticker. You should be able to push out any air and or water from behind the sticker making it perfectly smooth . The only thing that can cause problems is dust or debris in the air once the sticker traps that between the sticker and the surface of the boat it's very hard to remove or squeegee out debris that's why it's better to do it inside in a dust free environment.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-14-2016, 12:28 PM Reply   
Are you also planning on ordering the "Super Air Nautique" 3-D lettering? Just asking because there will be a cutout already in the decal for the "U" and the "E" on the starboard side, and a cutout for the "S" and the "U" on the port side. Not 100% sure, but may look odd without the letters in there.

Last edited by beg4wake; 03-14-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old     (wakecourage)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-14-2016, 1:21 PM Reply   
Thanks for info Grant!! Looks like I will probably get someone professional to do it.

Brian - Yes, I am getting the "Super Air Nautique". But good call!!!