Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-02-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
I am looking to buy my boys a wakesurf board. They have been using our CWB Ride but it is obviously too big for them. They are 9 and 11 years old and 80-90 pounds. I would like it to fit a wakeboard rack on the tower. Do you have any ideas?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-02-2009, 5:19 PM Reply   
the Inland Surfer Black Pearl Yellow would be great for them. With the Delta 6.0cm fins on the outside it will be really easy for lighter people to ride it and get up on it. And then when they get comfortable take off the extra fins and they can spin and shuvit with the board.

it also fits in wakeboard racks.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-02-2009, 6:58 PM Reply   
We have been working on just that, I have kids from the age of 4-18 and the 11 yr old down use this board, called the Grom from the walker project. We just got 10 production models in, and the page here is not yet updated, til I get more pictures.

http://wake9.com/grom

But here is a picture of what the bottom looks like, and the top is thick eva foam.

grom
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-02-2009, 7:02 PM Reply   
Here is a great video of them riding it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKD-Xzf89zo
Old     (ds3)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-02-2009, 9:23 PM Reply   
Sweet looking board RC. I wish I could convince mine to try and surf again...
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-02-2009, 10:27 PM Reply   
That is one of the main reason we do all of the videos. Help get the kids stoked and keep them going. Especially now that we are starting the how to 201 with tricks that are easy to learn. I get emails of people getting stoked, and using the videos to inspire themselves or their kids to wakesurf, or wakesurf more or better, and it keeps me going.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-03-2009, 10:16 AM Reply   
John ,
you may try www.lakewakes.com for a grom as well , they have a girls board in stock
Old     (spam)      Join Date: May 2009       08-03-2009, 1:30 PM Reply   
Upload

by store: wake9

by manufacture: lakewakes

"Advertising includes the posting of anything contributed by a person affiliated with a company (owners, employees, reps, riders, friends, etc.) with the sole intent to promote a company's products, events, web pages, etc. "
Old     (duckdiver)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-04-2009, 12:20 PM Reply   
THE ENDLESS BREAK FIFTY IS A GREAT KIDS BOARD, BUT IT WON'T FIT IN WAKEBOARD RACKS. MY 8 AND 10 YR OLD SHREDD THAT BOARD.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-04-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
I looked on the Endless Break website but did not see that board. What year was it made?
Old     (duckdiver)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-04-2009, 5:58 PM Reply   
IT SHOULD BE ON THERE. KIND OF EGG SHAPED TWIN FIN AT 50 INCHES LENGTH. THINK ITS CALLED THE FIDDY.
Old     (slimjim44)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-05-2009, 9:24 AM Reply   
Since ragboy is apparently not allowed to post any board recommendations....I've heard the grom board that the walker project and wake9 have been collaborating on is pretty good. Ragboys kids seem to be able to ride it with no problems.
Old     (sleepy10)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-05-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
Shred stixx's thresher might be a nice started board too... I've road the thresher, ja mako, n comp 1 and they all ride awesome. Ja mako is one of the easiest boards to ride, especially when you're a bigger person, but girls we ride with love it too n also enjoy what the thresher has to
offer. Not sure if they'll fit in your racks or not...
Old     (sixx352)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-05-2009, 6:49 PM Reply   
Try out the 4'6" Triple X slasher. It fits in some racks it only a 1in think it might work out for you. My brother rides it and he is about 100lbs.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-06-2009, 9:21 AM Reply   
My 11 year old rides my Phase5 Icon and my 6 year old got hooked and we just picked up a phase5 Scamp that's rated to 80lbs, but if you have a good big wave, I'd say 100lbs is the max. Fits in the board racks and was a very reasonable $200.

Note to other board manufacturers, keeping the price down on these small boards is a great way to get the little ones hooked on the sport and into your line of boards.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-06-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
unless its production based or made in china most cant
Old     (lumpdog)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-06-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
Look what the brown brigade dropped off yesterday!

Upload

The kids scraped up their own money to buy the grom, Jens had the biggest piggybank, so he took the first spin.....

Upload

Upload

Upload

The kids were REALLY happy with the board. From the driver's seat, I saw a big improvement in their surfing right away. The kids are coming from riding a 4'4" composite X, and the oversized board forced the kid's to cheat a little on their foot placement to compensate. With the grom, they were able to gain a correct stance, and everything fell in to place from there. The kid's were moving around on the whole wave now, bottom turns were quicker and sharper, and the board's speed made for some amazing saves from the white water mush.

One of my fears was that since this board was designed for the little ones, it would just be a log in the water. I was really surprised to see how well it performed. My kids are decent surfers, and ripped all over the wave on it. On the other hand, it was stable enough so that the 3 other kids we took out, who had never surfed before, were all surfing ropeless in 4 or 5 tries. I would say that the board is very responsive to rider input, the more you give it, the more it performs.

I asked my kids what they thought. Jens' felt that on the oversized composite X, he never really felt in control, like he was always on top of the water, and the board was always taking HIM for a ride. With the grom, he felt like it HE was in control. Hayden thought the grom was too stable at first. He rips on the composite X, he's tall and has big feet (Frodo?) so he can compensate a little for the board being oversized. He's used to the looseness of the ride, and has developed a style that works well with it (it's really all he's ever known). We removed the center fin on the grom for him, and it was smiles from ear to ear! His loose, almost sliding turns on the composite X became sharp carves on the grom. Ella was basically just being taken for a ride on the composite X. With the grom, she was able to actually give the board some input and experience a response. She was all over the wave, where before, she was only limited to cruising along in the pocket.

The board was exactly what the kids needed. It was stable, controllable, and I can't put a price tag on the confidence the kid's gained while riding it. I think the bottom line for us was getting the right sized board for them. I had no idea how important sizing was to us surfers. We would never think of playing with ill-fitting basketball shoes, the wrong sized golf clubs, or football pads that don't fit. Hope some dads out there find this helpful.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-06-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
Wow man, you are almost bringing tears to my eyes, that is so cool. We worked so hard testing the board. Dennis can tell you more, but he originally came to me with the idea after watching Thomas trying to surf on a SMED wombat. The SMED is a good board, but he was too small to do anything on it, and his little feet couldn't even turn it on edge. Since my kids were competing, as yours are, our goal was NOT to make a toy. Our goal was to make a board they could RIDE, and compete with. Hearing what you said about removing the 3rd fin is SO cool, because that was the intended use. We keep a key in our cup holder, and when jessica is learning, we have the fin in, and when t-bone is riding, he is getting a lot better, and wants it out. Its a TOTALLY different board.

Thanks very much for the feedback, means a lot. Love to see those kids ripping it. Are you going to be up at the Northwest Contest?
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-06-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
That Grom board is cool looking in every way. What are the specs on it?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-06-2009, 12:35 PM Reply   
Its 4' long, and 19.5" wide. I don't remember exact weight, dennis may know. But its VERY light, very easy to flip for the young ones.

As far as looks, we didn't want it to be a toy and I also wanted it to make kids feel like they didn't have a "kids" board, but a performance board made for a smaller rider. So I wanted the look to be very cool. I know MW had been working on digital graphics last year, and so I am Mr. Digital. So I worked with my artist to get some cool designs. I am really excited about 2 new JWSM boards we have coming for the NorthWest Contest with new graphics. Can't wait to see them. The new digital graphics really are cool. Airbrushing is nice, don't get me wrong, just wanted to do something that felt like the "next step".
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-06-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
I like the sound of the Grom and the Phase 5 Icon. If anyone has a used one that they would like to sell pm me.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-06-2009, 2:48 PM Reply   
The grom is brand new, so no used ones yet.
Old     (lumpdog)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-15-2009, 5:56 AM Reply   
Thought I'd share a few more pictures of my kids enjoying their new board.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-15-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
Those are great man, thanks.
Old     (ds3)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-16-2009, 5:16 AM Reply   
Awesome pics of the kids!!
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-18-2009, 7:46 AM Reply   
The Inland Surfer 4-Skim Moss board also looks small and light. Has anyone had their kids on that board?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-18-2009, 9:25 AM Reply   
That board is slippery, but yes, it is small and light. Sean Cummings had one of those on our boat, and it was a nice board, and he ripped on it, but my personal opinion would be that it would be small enough, but VERY slippery.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-18-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
Does it have extra slots for outside fins to stabilize it a little.

The reason I am asking about this board is it would be usable by everyone in the boat and the kids could grow with it.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-18-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
You can send an email to IS, but as far as I know, only 1 slot, one fin. You may be able to get a bigger fin. So the idea would be you have 2 fins for the board, one longer and more stable, and one normal. You would have to ask inland if they carry larger fins for stability. I have emailed Lance @ inland before, he was always very helpful.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-18-2009, 11:24 AM Reply   
John, I just sent you a PM. I have an IS Black Pearl with 3 fin capability that is for sale.