Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (dubwake21)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-21-2009, 9:13 AM Reply   
Can anyone provide with a little pro/con or similiarities/differences between these two boards? I am thinking about an upgrade this year.

Thank you,
Jason
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-21-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
it would be safe to say that the only similarities would be that they are both made by hyperlite. they are completely different boards.
Old     (dubwake21)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-22-2009, 7:18 AM Reply   
Care to elaborate?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-22-2009, 9:38 AM Reply   
the murray has more of an abrupt 3-stage style pop. it lands smoother. the 3ds is a little faster on edge. the 3ds is a looser feeling board,depending on what fins you ride it with. the murray releases off the wake later than the 3ds

(Message edited by westsidarider on February 22, 2009)
Old     (dubwake21)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-22-2009, 4:30 PM Reply   
Cool. Thanks for the info, sounds like the Murray is a better fit.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-22-2009, 6:59 PM Reply   
Hey Jason, I don't have a frame of reference for the murray so much, but I can tell you that I was looking for a 3 stage rocker for more pop when I bought a new board a couple years ago. I was looking at the Byerly. I tried it out and me, personally didn't like it. The people at Grizzly sports recommended the 3DS (which is the TFD) and I was hesitant because of the continuous rocker, I didn't even want to try it, but I took their advice and absolutely loved the board. So, I don't have the frame of reference for a murray specifically, but like Jason said, there is not much similarity except they are both made by hyperlite. But you may be surprised by what you really want once you get them on the water. I would recommend trying both out because they will be different and one may surprise you. Something about the 3DS (TFD) is really fun to ride..really loose, fast edge.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-22-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
btw, I have an 03 TFD 136 if interested
Old     (dubwake21)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-22-2009, 7:58 PM Reply   
Maybe I should have clarified. I rode the TFD for the second half of last season. I liked the ride, but considering the age of the board, I just assumed there was a newer, better ride out there, and wanted to consider the newer Murray. I liked my 05 Murray, it was just too big (142), so I switched to the 136 TFD.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-23-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
see if you have a local shop that will let you test out the Murray. I tried 3 diff boards before I purchased mine from my local shop.
Old     (cas)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-27-2009, 3:06 PM Reply   
I switched from TFD, which I loved, to 3DS / Pulse, which is an improved version of TFD. And you can really feel the difference. So if you want something, that is like the TFD but never and better, then find a Pulse from last year.
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-27-2009, 3:12 PM Reply   
Or if you want a new board the Hyperlite Clash is the newest version of the TFD/3DS/Pulse
Old     (dubwake21)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-27-2009, 3:35 PM Reply   
Cool guys, thanks
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       02-28-2009, 7:41 AM Reply   
Here's another twist...I was on the old murray way back when it was baby blue with the VW bug on it, switched to the 4 fin drifter, LOVED it. got a new drifter, then 1st TFD, then another TFD, then the 3DS with the small molded fins, then another 3DS. I LOVE that mold. It is the caddilac, smooth ride, soft landings, fast when you want it to be, loose when you want it to be and grips like a mother (with 1.1 A-wings). However, last year rode the Tribute...that is my board for 09 (if wifie will let me). REALLY soft landings, smooth, loose, releases off the wake nice, pops great. for what its worth. but go to a local shop, demo each, buy the one you like from them.
Old     (dubwake21)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-28-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
The issue is the local shop only carries LF. The market is still small here in Wilmington, NC, but I am on the Pay it Forward list for the Murray 135 this summer.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       02-28-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
get a hold of the wakehouse.com guys. They'll take care of you.