Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-20-2004, 8:56 AM Reply   
I had ACL reconstruction surgery last Friday and I plan to fly through my rehab. Ive heard of people wakeboarding like 2 months after their surgery but I dont plan to do that. I was however thinking about hopping on a wakeskate. Im curious if anyone has ever had a knee injury or heard of anyone being injured from wakeskating. Im not planning on riding sliders or anything so rule that out, Im just talking about straight riding.

Thanks in advance.
Old    sbvfive            07-20-2004, 9:02 AM Reply   
I tore my ACL, MCL, and damaged my miniscus on a wakeskate....however, I got heard doing a 1 foot indy grab. If you are just going to ride and carve a little, the wakeskate is the way to go. Way less chance of knee injury...but it can happen.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-20-2004, 9:05 AM Reply   
My friend tore mis ACL, MCL, and Minicus wakeboarding. He had surgery 4 months ago and now he is wakeskating. No jumping though. Just spins.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-20-2004, 9:06 AM Reply   
there was a guy who broke his femur a few months ago. I think you can get injured

(Message edited by slipknot on July 20, 2004)
Old    wakechick            07-20-2004, 9:09 AM Reply   
I knew a guy who tore both ACLs wakeboarding, so he decided to switch to wakeskating. Then he tore both of his ACLs again wakeskating. You just never know.....

With that said, if you aren't planning on trying to rip it up on the skate, you are probably safer on the skate than a wakeboard. I wakeskated about 2 months after I had knee surgery with no problems.
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-20-2004, 9:14 AM Reply   
Damn, what was this guy doing to tear both ACLs twice?

What kind of surgery did you have?
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-20-2004, 9:16 AM Reply   
Is he still boarding? That would really suck!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-20-2004, 9:18 AM Reply   
Hairbanddude. I believe he DIED from that femur break.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-20-2004, 9:24 AM Reply   
I had a severe sprain of my left ankle last year trying to learn a switch roll. I couldn't wakeboard for 3 months because any fall hurt like hell. I was on a wakeskate in less than 3 weeks and it gave me no problems at all, even on moderately easy sliders.

OTOH, I have a friend (old guy like me) who switched to wakeskating because he had a bum knee. We he finally got brave enough to hit a slider, he did the splits and tore his ACL on his first attempt.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-20-2004, 9:30 AM Reply   
I heard about the poor guy that J-rod is talking about.

The skate hit his leg, broke it, then later a blood clot traveled from the leg to his brain causing him to pass away. Any serious injury can do that though. I would not say its a wakeskate only thing.
Old    wakechick            07-20-2004, 11:19 AM Reply   
Michael - my friend was a pretty good wakeboarder, then once he started skating he got really good at it....jumping HUGE heelside and toeside and doing all kinds of stuff. I don't know exactly how he managed to tear his ACL on the skate.

I've had surgery on both knees - arthroscopic surgery on the left knee to remove torn cartilage and ACL reconstruction on the right knee.
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       07-22-2004, 8:04 PM Reply   
shaun murray just busted his knee up on a wakeskate, im not sure what but i know he tore it all up and he will be out for about a year.

(Message edited by nikki on July 22, 2004)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-22-2004, 8:23 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/180555.html?1090539516
Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-22-2004, 10:21 PM Reply   
http://www.gotwake.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid= 89&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Click on the picture of his ankle for lots of pics.
Warning!!!There are some pretty nasty pics of his broken ankle.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       07-25-2004, 1:05 PM Reply   
About 3 weeks ago I thought I did the same thing to my ankle. Luckily it was only a sprain. I am back on the water now but it still hurts like pretty bad if I come out of my bindings. Is it worth it though...yeah!!!
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-26-2004, 10:05 AM Reply   
You can break a femur on a wakeskate. Happens when you get air and one leg lands on board and the other is off. Causing one leg to spin out and you do the splits. That was my friends best friend who died here in California from the broken femur. Blood clot traveled to his lungs after surgery.