Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-25-2007, 3:41 PM Reply   
Has anybody put fins on their Hyperlite Roam and now ride it most of the time? Slingshot boards have so much flex I figured most companies will come out with their own flex boards made for every day riding.
Old     (wakegenie)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-25-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
I didn't know it was possible to put fins on a roam? I thought the whole point/ uniqueness of the roam was the whole no fins thing ?
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-25-2007, 5:54 PM Reply   
doesnt that defeat the point of the roam? learn to edge right and its not an issue
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       02-25-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
The Roam board is my favorite board to ride in butter water. The fact that it doesn't have fins is what makes it so fun.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-25-2007, 7:14 PM Reply   
you would have to drill holes yourself if you even wanted to put fins on....I agree it would defeat the purpose of the ROAM
Old     (nwa)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-25-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
I second Brandon's point
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-25-2007, 8:35 PM Reply   
That is like putting a dick on a woman this thread is stupid
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-25-2007, 8:45 PM Reply   
wow matt great analogy, is that really the best you could do?
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-25-2007, 9:00 PM Reply   
why????
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-25-2007, 10:25 PM Reply   
I have had the same thought Nick. I don't really understand all the hating personally.

Yah guys lets throw out trying something new and just buy what the manufacturers think of! Because trying something new just couldnt help progression could it(said sarcastically).

Go for it nick, line em up and put them in. I was thinking about four really small fins like the obrien glocks. They are .7 and I thought you could put them inward of the tip and tail so you could still bust out soul turns. Plus they are aluminum so you could grind them down even smaller. Or for the rail guys, throw some old rainbow 3 inchers on there and try some blunt slides. I dont know how long they would last, but a blunt slide would be pretty cool; especially a nose blunt. Nick dont forget you might want to throw some silicon sealer in there when you attach them so you keep that wood core sealed up.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-26-2007, 4:23 PM Reply   
Thanks Matt, I have added fins and relocated fins on many boards and played around with many different configurations in the past. For me it was always trying something new, some people I guess are scared of that. So I would assume that if everybody says it would be so stupid to put fins on a Roam, then Slingshot has the stupidest 2 boards in the industry. I don't know if anybody has heard, but Slingshot boards are flex boards and are very similar to the hyperlite Roam. With the more flex I would also assume softer landings. I have not rode a Slingshot but would love to try one. And Matt, when I do drill the holes in my boards I usually put some stuff in those holes so it doesn't soak up water. And then if I don't like that setup I throw the whole board right in the trash because I have four small holes in it, they make that board completely unridable. (hint of sarcasm in last sentence) Thanks
Old     (blxboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-26-2007, 4:54 PM Reply   
what site did you order from? please.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-26-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
I sent you a pm Lyle.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-27-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
Collin Wright rides with like .4-.5 wakeskate fins on his roam. Just measure it out and drill... you'll be all good!

Do what you want... don't let others opinions effect your own!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-27-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
Tru dat Myke.

tho IMO putting fins on a roam is gay.Just get a board with fins on it then and you'll be good.

quote:

Collin Wright rides with like .4-.5 wakeskate fins on his roam.

I knew there was a reason that I wasn't a Collin Wright fan.
Old     (jfisha)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-27-2007, 11:59 AM Reply   
colin dosent even ride the roam and flexboards are a whole different ball game. The Roam has sidecut and a flexboard is a regular wakeboard shape with flex. The only reason to put fins on a roam would be to lock into slides...
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-27-2007, 1:00 PM Reply   
Fish,

I could be wrong, but I could swear that Collin was riding the roam (05' model with fins) at the beggining of last summer. He went on more than a handle full of sessions on the Delta off of my dock last year.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-27-2007, 3:36 PM Reply   
I was talking about the first Roam, not about the one with sidecut sides.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-27-2007, 4:16 PM Reply   
Nick,

I ride the 05 model which you are speaking of. Like I said you could add fins if you would like, but as stated above it kind of defeats it purpose. IMO just ride it without fins. Only takes a little while to adapt and it will teach you the proper way to edge, instead of the board helping you...
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-27-2007, 4:26 PM Reply   
I don't think I have a problem edging I was just wondering if any body tried this. I ride an ERA without the center fin and have never broken it loose when I didn't want it to. I have a fairly mellow style and hardly go out into the flats because I watch my knees closely. I have tried a board with no fins when riding rails but in choppy water I get really nervous on the approach. As I feel like a wave could throw me of balance at the last second. With one center fin that is all taken care of.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-27-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
IMO the Roam is not a board you will want to ride in rough water

I'm a water snob though
Old     (intotheflats)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-27-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
i thought that about the 05 roam but i rode the new style roam and because the whole side is the effective edge you can really lay down a pretty decent edge even in slightly choppy water
you may want to check the new ones out
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-27-2007, 8:47 PM Reply   
Nick I dont really think the other people are understanding what your intentions are.

Peeps: The idea is to TRY something different, not becuase he lacks any skill/ talent etc. but to see what happens. I agree with him, its a cool idea thats worth a shot; and I am sure that if he had come on here saying "its a totally different ride" you guys might think twice about the possibilities. The whole concept about the roam in the first place is a different ride. Hype went through quite a few different variations to get theirs to work right, heck the first few Pat was drilling holes in to make them "more flexy".

I think with flex boards there are a whole lot more of "what ifs" than regular boards since the 3 dimensional flexing throws a complete curve ball into the fluid dynamics of shaping, add a similar or different sidecut and who knows.

It would be pretty funny if slingshot was on to something and in 3 years we are all riding flex boards with bottom shaping, yet Nick's crazy for thinking outside the box, lol.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-28-2007, 5:00 PM Reply   
Hey thanks Matt. When I have an idea about something and I think it might work, even when people tell me it won't work I still try it. It even drives me more when they tell me it won't work. Even if it doesn't work so what. I have four holes drilled in a board I can still have fun with. And by the way I love both your personal quotes.
Old     (jeffsv211)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-28-2007, 6:33 PM Reply   
Nick, I have put four small "A" fins ".7" on my Roam. Love it, just enough bite but still loose. I love how wood feels in the water, I used to ski on a Majhara (sp?) slalom, they just feel different in the water. I'm not that good boarding yet but do like the feel of the board in the water. Late last summer a good rider friend of mine suggested that we put fins in it.