Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-26-2005, 11:35 AM Reply   
What are your recommendations for boat storage? I just traded in my 20 ½ I/O for a 21 ½ V-drive, a Centurion Lightning, and I’d like to keep the new boat looking pristine.

When I lived in Dayton I could get my I/O in my garage as long as I didn’t wax my trailer. We moved to Columbus nine years ago and were unable to find a home with a garage large enough for a boat, the cars barely fit.

After the move we stored the I/O outside. The original canvas had rope ties below the boat covering not only the top of the boat but a good deal below the rub rail. I replaced that cover with a custom cover about three years ago. The custom cover snapped on and just barely covered the open bow and cockpit area. Unfortunately the custom cover tended pool water and protected less of the boat from the sun’s UV rays.

So with the outside storage and the lack of protection from the custom cover my boat began to show her age. The side gel coat changed from a bright blue to a dusty one and the white gel coat on the top of the boat, showed a clear canvas line. Under the canvas the gel was shiny, outside the canvas dull and chalky.

For now my dealer is going to keep my boat under his roof. This will let him add a few after market accessories, he can show the boat to other prospective clients and my boat is in a nice safe warm environment. As spring rolls around this arrangement will probably not be mutually beneficial and I’ll need to find a home for my new boat.

Option 1: add on to the garage – doubtful
Option 2: build a detached garage – no space on my lot
Option 3: move – doubtful
Option 4: inside storage – runs about $140/ month and is difficult to find
Option 5: outside storage – low cost but exposes the boat to the elements
Option 6: Winter inside storage at the Ohio convention center and summer storage outside storage

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old    footin_farley            02-26-2005, 11:57 AM Reply   
Buy a free standing garage. If you check the web you can find ones of varying sizes from $300-$3000. Check out this link. http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200312905.htm

I'm assuming you have space for this since parking your boat outside is an option. Its hard to make suggestions without seeing what you have to work with.

Another option is finding a pilot with a hangar at your local airport to rent you some space. A lot of pilots are looking to augment rising hangar costs.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-26-2005, 7:48 PM Reply   
I have kept my boats outside for the past 20 years. I have tried a few things but I now use a custom made complete side sunbrella cover that is tight enough not to allow pooling water. I have them made locally so it's easy to have things modified if they don't fit properly. A good dark color is best help UV penetration, but black can sometimes get a little hot in the summer. Here is a picture of my last cover.

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-27-2005, 5:54 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. I like Mike's boat cover, that might work for me.