Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (liquidforcefan)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-29-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
Hey, I'm looking into buying a new wake boat and I've been researching a lot and although I'm looking hard into Malibu and Moomba but I also at least like the way SANs look although I've never ridden behind one and I really liked riding behind the x-2 but I've been told by numerous people that both Super air's and some x series boats are unreliable, these are people who take good care of their boats so I don't think its carelessness. I don't wanna ask the dealers or rely on reviews from WBM because dealers aren't going to say anything negative about their boats and WBM only gives the pros and not the cons. Sorry this is so long but does anyone have any thoughts?
Old    bocephus            12-29-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
Umm...I would say without reservation that Correct Craft and Mastercraft make the most reliable boat out there. I would suggest that you check several sources including the JD Powers reports (a lot of people discredit JD Powers though)... The best way to find out about how reliable a boat is would be to get a local boat trader or boat classifieds out and start calling everyone. Tell them right up front that you are not going to buy their boat but you want to know why they are selling and if they had any problems with their brand boat. Boat owners are a little crazy if you ask me, they will tell you anything and everything if you get them to start talking and ask them.

Either way I will bet my first child that a Correct Craft or even a Mastercraft will be way more reliable than a Moomba. I'm sure Moomba has tons of satisfied customers, however I am sure that the quality of a Correct Craft or a Mastercraft plays a huge role in reliability and that there will far more 15 year old Correct Crafts and Mastercrafts floating around than a Moomba.

I'm not going to get into the Malibu debate, but you get what you pay for. I would suggest either looking at a Correct Craft or a Sanger. Both of these companies are family owned and have a reputation that the families are banking on.

I would bet that a Sanger will outlast any boat be the most trouble free...

BTW, I own a Correct Craft..
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-29-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
That is one of the worst comments I've heard about both brands of boats. I am not gonna rag on any other brands but the engines and trannys that go into both boats are top notch and every boat is gonna have some small problems with ballast pumps and such but that is typical of all brands of boats. I am a nautique guy and work at a dealership and must say that of all the boats that come in there is very few that come in cause the boat is not operating properly. Last year we had like 2 or 3 boats come in for ballast issues and a few for PP but the PP issues were with all brands as the issue was with the display unit and had nothing to do with the boat. And I am talking about all the boats not just brand new ones. Every thing else that comes in were direct results of the owners of the boats. I am sure that some MC guys will chime in in their defence too. I would have to say that if you sit in all the brands of boats that are built for wakeboarding and compare the overall feel of the boat and the fit and finish of them that MC and CC are gonna be in some of the top spots. I would ask your buddies what they think is unreliable about the boats as most problems of reliability are gonna go hand and hand with how well the boat is taken care of.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-29-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
Damn I must type slow Bocephus beat me to it, well said.
Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-29-2007, 9:56 AM Reply   
Not to get into a pissing contest... but-

They are not MORE reliable or LESS reliable.

When you are talking about reliability, I assume you mean when you turn the key you can count on them working properly. All the major brands have basically the same engines, trans, wiring and batterys.- IMO

They are mostly distinguished by things like styling, build methods/materials, etc... and those are highly debated as to which is superior.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-29-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
I agree, I think Anthony is just stirring the pot.
MC and CC are probably the best in quality otherwise nobody would pay the price that they ask for.
I dont know much about Sanger, here in Florida we dont see many of them.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-29-2007, 10:04 AM Reply   
Bocephus,
I thought you would at least mention the Aztec Crow.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-29-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
Ha Ha the Crow. We have one of those here at the shop right now. The steering on those things is crazy.
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-29-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
My .02 is that every boat is a little unreliable. I bought my brand new and still had a few minor issues. This comes with boating in general. I prepare that at least one or two times every summer I will have some sort of issue.

Every brand has it flaws/cons...I would try to pick one up with an extended warranty to remove as much risk as possible.

Everyone is a little bit biased towards certain boats...even me.

Once again plan for the worst and hope for the best.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-29-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
i think all manufacturers are going to have some boats that have problems. We personally have a malibu and some people have told us of horror stories with their malibu but we have not had one problem. We also owned a mastercraft and didnt have any major issues. Just minor things like fuel pump going out and other things but that boat went 600 hours before we sold it. The trailer was a piece of crap but that was about it. My uncle has had two nautiques and has loved them both and they still run strong.

i think that mc, cc, or malibu will be a great choice. I just dont see what costs so much on a mc or cc...
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-29-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   
"I don't wanna ask the dealers or rely on reviews from WBM because dealers aren't going to say anything negative about their boats and WBM only gives the pros and not the cons." Then why are you asking a bunch of biased owners on WW? All you are going to get here is the owner of one brand bashing the others. Just search the archives and you can see the same crap over and over.
Find a great dealer that sells a boat that fits your needs and everything will be good. You could have a very reliable boat (still not sure what you mean by that) and a crappy dealer that takes 3 weeks to service your boat and the reliable boat wont see the water either.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-29-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
Why don't you go and test drive all of the boats then decide from 1st hand experience what you like best? Each brand has its pros and cons so you need to make up your own mind.....
Old     (spenchey)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-29-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
Have you thought about looking at a new tige? Idk if you buying new or not, but the new one are really a step up from previous years, i'd also add that the previous years are reliable also, just not a stylish or up-to-date as a new(obviously)
Old    bocephus            12-29-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
I was at our local Tige dealership a couple of weeks ago and have to say they they have the worst quality control I have ever seen!! They have a brand boat on the show room floor with gell coat blem the size of a silver dollar on the transom or rear deck of the boat! It looks terrible and it's on the show room floor next to a new Sanger which has the best gel coat finish for any boat IMO, Tige still needs to improve, at least on gel coat finish.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-29-2007, 3:21 PM Reply   
Bocephus,

I think the first half of your statement cant be farthest from the truth "have to say they they have the worst quality control I have ever seen" I agree that a boat being delivered to a dealer with a flaw like that is unacceptable, but to condemn the whole company QC based on one, or a few even is a little over the top.

You have attacked Tige with the very same false info that you yourself posted about in defence of CC. You took issue that someone questioned the quality of your brand, but you had no problem attacking another. Please help me to understand why this runs so rampant on this site?

Those who throw stones, should not live in glass houses.
Old    bocephus            12-29-2007, 3:36 PM Reply   
I don't live in a glass house! I have looked at Tige' a ton. When I bought my boat in mid '06 I looked at Tige' very, very, carefully. I crawled through every nook and cranny of the boat and noted several things that should have been caught and corrected by the factory and by the dealer. For the price that you pay for a Tige' I think they have terrible quality control. Why in the world would a boat manufacturer let a boat onto the dealer's floor (in a brand new location and kick butt building BTW) with a flaw the size of a silver dollar in the most obvious place on the entire boat! It looked terrible!! The same boat was also missing a bunch of parts, including several trim pieces. It looked terrible! I can take pictures if you want!

I will agree that Tige' is going in the right direction, but they still have a long way to go! Also, if Tige' was doing as well as everyone says why did the dealer pick up the Sanger line? Why did Tige' allow the dealer to do so?? I'm really not bagging on the boat itself, just the quality they let out the door!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-29-2007, 3:51 PM Reply   
if Tige' was doing as well as everyone says why did the dealer pick up the Sanger line?

Same reason that Best Buy sell more then one brand of TV's and car dealers sell more then one car line..............more customers = more $$$$

My Tige dealer just picked up CC this Fall, the only one having a problem with it is the CC Rep, go figure.}

*EDIT* As a proud Tige owner, I will be the first to say they are not a perfect boat, but because of factory support and an AWESOME dealer, I will buy another.

(Message edited by chpthril on December 29, 2007)
Old    bocephus            12-29-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
ok, I will buy that reason... Most people, specially those that don't own a new boat, don't realize or won't admit how great the dealer can impact the joy of owning a boat. My dealer is awesome and makes owning a CC an awesome experiance. Dealer and factory support is everything in my opinion!
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-29-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
Boats have problems pure and simple. If you are "handy" then some of the small stuff you can fix yourself. Anything you can't fix will fall upon...the dealer. I think if you put a boat on your showroom floor and it has some issues that is not the boat company's fault that is the dealer and should reflect upon him not the manuf. Until recently, the MC dealer in my area was subpar, for example my boss has a MC which had some very minor issues and it spent 5 months(over winter) at the dealer before being fixed on the day he just showed up and said I am taking my boat home fixed or broke. Now does that make MC a shi**y boat? Absolutely not but I still feel dealer support is sooo important.

For example I am looking at getting a VLX this year and the bu' dealers are ok. I also considered other boats but surprise I am also looking at a Tige RZ2. The Tige is a very nice boat almost as good as the others I considered but what really makes that boat shine, for me, is the dealer. The dealer is simply great otherwise I doubt I would have considered an RZ2.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-29-2007, 8:41 PM Reply   
Ewing, can I ask who your bosses dealer is???
Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-29-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
Told ya.... pissing contest.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-29-2007, 8:48 PM Reply   
I just wanna know, cause I'm know alot of the MC dealers from around the U.S., and that doesn't sound typical of any of em that I know!!

Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-29-2007, 9:20 PM Reply   
Anthony, basically you suck at research...

Go buy a Moomba and tell everyone how much more awesome it is than CC or MC...
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-29-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
They are no longer in business...that is why I said "until recently." It is a shame he is thinking about getting a 40th anniversary boat and if a dealer knew he were in the market he would be an easy sell.

I forgot to add these post are kind of waste in some ways. Really, it is your money whether that be 40-50-60-70 thousand...it is your money. I still say you just have to demo every boat possible and figure out which one YOU like. I kind of feel that the newer boats are better all around and good dealers take care of the small problems(customer forgets about it) and small problems that persist/dealer doesn't take care if(customer remembers and perceives he/she got a poor product.)
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-30-2007, 11:14 AM Reply   
Bocephus,

Not sure if your profile is accurate as to what city you are in but I was on a road trip recently and visited the CC dealer pictured below that might be your local dealer. Great staff, organized store, excellent selection of boats and pro-shop gear from what I saw. But I noticed right away on one of either the black/white or black/yellow boats pictured that there were obvious gel flaws on the top deck, starboard side, towards the stern of the boat. My reaction was, "hey, it happens to the best of them", as I know this can happen on ANY brand boat. I did not even make note of which boat it actually was on. It would be really lame to state that CC quality is questionable for what they cost based on noticing one flaw, but maybe I am not the towboat expert that you are. What I do know however is that in my selling territory, Tige outsells CC by a significant number every year.

Relative to the runabout boat companies owned by big corporations, the towboat companies are smaller, probably less profitable, but clearly have a passion for what they are building and the overall build quality of the boats reflects that. Competition is good for the consumer and often gives the average joe a chance to open an independent dealership representing a smaller builder when the "big three" would not want to talk to them. Everyone here agrees that the dealer is an important component of boat ownership no matter what the brand represented is. The boat business needs more good dealers and people to notice flaws and deal with them before the boat hits a showroom floor. How about pointing out the gel flaw on the Tige to the dealer so they can do something about it instead of just using it to make yourself feel better about being a CC owner here? I am not trying to start anything, just pointing out that on these boards we have an avid interest in wakeboarding and ripping on one boat versus the next does little for getting more stoked about the sport.

Upload
Old     (liquidforcefan)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-30-2007, 8:52 PM Reply   
I was just asking opinions I'm not saying any boats are better than others thats just what I heard. I'm planning on trying a few out thanks for the advice and to those who called me out, sorry you took what I asked too seriously and decided to call me stupid instead of help me out, this is my first wake boat purchase and I don't want to up
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-30-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
Nearly every wakeboard boat manufacturer uses an identical powerplant today. The most predominate motor is the Chevrolet 5.7, marine versions have slight variations mainly with manifolds, pumps, and tuning. Upgrade motors vary a bit between mariners. In general the Chevy 5.7 has a slightly higher reliability rating then the Chevy 8.1. The Chevy 6.0 and 6.2 seem reliable but they have additional cooling components.

When considering boat company A versus boat company B, the powerplant would be far behind hull design and quality in my decision criteria.
Old     (tarpongator)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-30-2007, 10:43 PM Reply   
Anthony, as a CC owner, I'll try and answer your question. I own a '06 220 with 240 hrs. on it. I have experienced a PP screen issue and two rips in the seat/sundeck, both minor. Everything fixed under warranty with no down time.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-31-2007, 5:17 AM Reply   
All boats have some type of problems. These days all boats are pretty reliable and serve there purpose. Some just have more shiny parts than the other. The best advise anyone will give you is to get the boat with the best dealer in your area.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       12-31-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
Upload
Old    bocephus            12-31-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
Get an Aztec Crow.... They are hands down the best boat made!
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-31-2007, 10:24 AM Reply   
Anthony,
Boat shows are coming. Go take a look and test drive all boast you are interested in.

You will almost never get an unbiased opinion on a boat here at Wakeworld.

Personally, I think every Wakeboat made in the last 3 years are great boats. Some just have more BLING to them. Moomba is a great option for people that have a limited budget. You can get ballast, PP, Racks, nice tower, and a good solid boat for probably the least expensive. Malibu, Mastercraft, Nautiques, Supras, Tige's all make great boats as well but you just pay more for them.
Old     (lfshane132)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-31-2007, 6:07 PM Reply   
People think because they pay a few grand on a boat that it will be flawless. Boats are not made like cars. Every boat is going to have a problem being that they are hand made unlike cars that are made by machine. When you buy a boat that is what you are paying for, the craftmanship. My family owns a SAN and of course we had problems with it just like every other boat owner has had problems with their's. Thats why the dealer is so important when buying your boat.
Old     (lfshane132)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-31-2007, 6:09 PM Reply   
Upload

Easy decision though would be to just buy this.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       01-02-2008, 12:24 AM Reply   
Your boat, no matter how much you pay or what kind you buy, will have some irritating problems needing attention. Choose your boat based on:

dealer experience and reputation in dealing with these guaranteed problems

wake size and shape suited strictly to your taste
(not what everyone says is the best but what you determine from demos)

Ergonomics, feel and utility... basically do you like driving the boat and being in it or does it fight you and bang into your melon all day.

And finally buy a water ski boat for skiing and a wake boat for boarding. Decide what you are most and make your neighbor or boss get the other boat.

I have yet to find a 7 to 8 year old wake boat that is completely inoperable because of wear and tear. Mostly it's due to poor maintenance, not poor/unreliable boat building.

(Message edited by Mbrown on January 02, 2008)
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       01-02-2008, 9:09 PM Reply   
Based on your post, you said that you really liked riding behind the X-2. Since thats the case, I'd think that you already know what you want, but are looking for reasons to get something else for some reason...does someone else not want that one which is why you're looking at others?
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-03-2008, 7:03 AM Reply   
Anthony, don't feel bad, everyone that come on here asking a legitimate question about longevity and/or build quality get the same old BS answer: Mine is best yours sucks.
The other BS answer you will always get is: "Go test drive them and make up your own mind". What an utterly USELESS statement!
Of course you can test drive EVERY boat made and find out which one you like THAT DAY. Then, you buy it and find out after a year of ownership it has all kinds of problems. How much can you learn about build quality and reliability in ONE TEST DRIVE?? Nothing, of course.
The good advice you always hear is about the dealer. Yes a good one can make a bad choice bearable, and a bad one can make a good choice seem horrible.
I personally own a 2006 Tige 24V, because on the TEST DRIVE, I like the way it handled and the versatility of the wake plate system. That said, the rigging quality of the boat is substandard IMHO. The Tige` is a decent boat, but when I trade this winter, it will be for either a Malibu or a Mastercraft, for more than just that reason.
Someone gave (shockingly) good advice when they said to contact owners of boat that are for sale and ask why. I have spent a lot of time asking people on the ramp about their boats and what they like/dislike. It always fun talking about our boats and the conversation can be very enlightening. Good luck!

(Message edited by SummerObsession on January 03, 2008)
Old    bocephus            01-03-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
This is not a BS answer!

The best way to find out about how reliable a boat is would be to get a local boat trader or boat classifieds out and start calling everyone. Tell them right up front that you are not going to buy their boat but you want to know why they are selling and if they had any problems with their brand boat. Boat owners are a little crazy if you ask me, they will tell you anything and everything if you get them to start talking and ask them.
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-03-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
Bocephus: You are correct, it is NOT a BS answer!! That is what I said above, as well.

It's just very frustrating to me that this forum COULD be a great source of info for those wanting to know what to expect from ownership of each brand of boat BEFORE they buy, but it always turns into a bash fest.
What could a TEST DRIVE possibly tell someone about how well a boat will hold up during two or three seasons of use??
Who better to ask than those who have owned each brand for those two or three years?

Oh well, since I own a Tige`, I'll just join everyone else and say that TIGE IS THE BEST, PERIOD, everything else is junk!, and it's perfectly normal for every manufacturer to turn out flawed or poorly rigged products because the DEALER is supposed to fix all those problems!!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-03-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
These kind of statements kill me: "Every boat is going to have a problem being that they are hand made unlike cars that are made by machine. When you buy a boat that is what you are paying for, the craftmanship"

If I were to ever drop $50K+ on a boat, I would expect it to be PERFECT. I do not buy into the theory that you are just supposed to expect things to go wrong, but I guess the industry has convinced a lot of y'all that inferior quality control is just a fact of life with new boats.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-03-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
My last correct craft SAN was seven years old when I Sold it and never did anything but normal Maintenance except a starter. We ran that boat long and hard. I will always be loyal to CC for that reason. I have a new 236 and 80hrs on it now wit no trouble
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-03-2008, 12:45 PM Reply   
i agree martin I have had a few malibus and never had to do anything but change the oil. I have had another brand and it was a nightmare and I was given the line "these things happen, no big deal." Well, they didn't happen on my Malibu and if they are gonna happen why don't we pay a whole lot less for the boat?
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-03-2008, 12:55 PM Reply   
i have an 06 SAN 220 and the only problems i have had are a bad tps sensor and a gel coat issue that was handled beyond the scope of what CC really needed to do for me so I am also a CC customer for life. I cannot stress how good of a company CC is. They really take care of their customers.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       01-03-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
Yup CC is a great company, best boat on the water IMO, got an 08 on the way.
There is a reason why they have been in business for over 80yrs and have such a great warranty.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-03-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
I also don't agree with all boats having trouble. Maybee I have been lucky, but the only thing that went wrong with my x1 for two years is the ballast impellers after I ran them dry and my CC, the carb had to be rebuilt that was 12 years old. My dad owns a 85 MC that he has owned since then and has only done routine maintenance on it.

A boat is alot simpler than a car and in my oppinion and should have less issues. They have the engine (indmar for MC, bu,supra, moomba & PCM for CC) and a simple transmission. the only other moving part is the steering cable.

What kind of issues do people have with their boats. I would be willing to bet that a lot(not all) are self induced in one way or another.

I am in the process of buying a mastercraft and the closest dealer is 4 hours away and I don't even bat an eye at the decision.
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-03-2008, 6:13 PM Reply   
ok.. every one sounds like a broken record. same crap over and over.. just drive em and see. but hope you dont have the same prob as me. every one wants to pretty much have papers all ready so sighn just to demo the boat. i want to drive it in order to consider it to be an option.. i dont realy under stand that marketing idea but oh well..
Old     (jrandol)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-03-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
MC and CC unreliable?

Lets stir the pot some more.........
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-04-2008, 6:36 AM Reply   
So long as it has a warranty, it really does not matter. All of the boats mentioned are quality boats. Pick the one YOU like best, but dealer is important too.
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-04-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
It matters if your boat is always at the shop getting worked on or in the water pulling you....
Old    bocephus            01-04-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   

quote:

So long as it has a warranty, it really does not matter.

Nothing is further from the truth! Does this sound familiar??

"The reason why they have a guarantee on the box is because they know all they sold you is a guaranteed piece of s#*t. Hell, I can take a crap in a box and slap a guarantee on it for you, if that's what you want. But then all you have is a guaranteed piece of s#*t!

The dealer is the one who decides if they are going to cover something under warranty. If you don't have a good dealer good luck! You then have to elevate things up to local rep or go straight to the manufacturer - good luck. Warranties don't mean a thing without someone who is willing to stand behind them. How many warranty threads have you seen here on wakeworld??
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-04-2008, 8:50 AM Reply   
Bocephus - I agreed with CC I would not discuss details but my issue went all the way up to the VP of CC due to the surrounding circumstances and had nothing to do with my local dealer. It was 100% CC that resolved my issue and not the dealer and it had to do with a warranty issue.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-04-2008, 9:22 AM Reply   
I construct power plants. The machinery costs over $2,000,000 each and another seven figure number to install. We have our problems and issues. Nothing is perfect, other than a mistake.

The hull, interior, and wiring harness are the main things constructed by the boat companies. They choose to use various components based upon cost, fit, function, design, and other issues. Most problems that the boat company has direct control over are the result of the electrical harness and workmanship on the interior. Most hulls do not fail structurally. When the components fail, you have to decide if it was a problem due to the boat manufacturer's selection process, installation, QA/QC of the supplier, or other issue within or outside of the control of the boat company. Engines are typically outside of the control of the boat company.

I have sold, worked on, or owned over 40 different boat brands. All are the result of decisions made by humans and compromises between cost, durability, design, looks, etc. Nothing is ever perfect.

In general, the inboard tow boat market is much better built than most other boats of the same size and price range. Very few manufacturers in the OB and IO market put the quality and care into their products that you find in the inboard market. My experience with Moomba and Gekko, both low cost inboards has been excellent - no issues. The boat with the most problems was a 1969 that I nursed along.

FWIW - I just ordered an X-2 from Action Watersports in Hudsonville, MI.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-04-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
I wonder how many times the Manufactures make those kind of deals? We will fix the problem if you agree to keep quiet about it and do not discuss it on a public forum. This question is not aimed at any particular manufacture. I have herd of similar type of agreement before.
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-04-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
Bocephus- While I agree with your points, I suppose it does not matter to me as my dealership (waterski boats dallas) has been nothing short of stellar on any and all issues, including boards, bindings, etc. Maybe I am just lucky, but I still think that all of the boats mentioned here are quality boats.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-04-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
Bochephus,
Dealers have to submit warranties claims to the MFG for approval.
Its NOT a dealer decision.
Thats why dealers have to take pics of gelcoat etc, and send the broken parts back to the MFG.
The MFG is the one that stands behind the product.
You have made some good points on here but you were way off on that one.

(Message edited by woreout on January 04, 2008)
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-04-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
Dealers are also obligated to fix within the warranty guidelines set by the Manf. Its not the dealers call to fix or not.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-04-2008, 7:01 PM Reply   
builders will also choose not to honor warranties and leave it to the dealer to deal with the mad customer.
Old     (davee22ve)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-04-2008, 9:57 PM Reply   
tige stands behind there boats 100% on warranty. I have had some major issues and tige went above and beyond what I even would have ever asked them to do and they did not tell me I had to keep quiet I only tell who I choose to. Because of what they have done I will own another Tige.

Bocephus is right we due have a great cc dealer, and we are also lucky and have a great malibu and Tige dealer I have delt with all three and have had friends who owned all three brands and have had no complaints about any of them and all are great boats.

Bocephus lets get together and ride sometime want to see that mexican backroll to yardsale.
Old    bocephus            01-06-2008, 10:13 AM Reply   

quote:

Bochephus,
Dealers have to submit warranties claims to the MFG for approval.
Its NOT a dealer decision.
Thats why dealers have to take pics of gelcoat etc, and send the broken parts back to the MFG.
The MFG is the one that stands behind the product.
You have made some good points on here but you were way off on that one.

(Message edited by woreout on January 04, 2008)

BS!! The dealer does not send in every claim they get, it's up to them whether to send it in or not.

MB, I went through this with MB and our old local MB dealer. I had to call Brendel myself, the dealer just said tuff cookie man!
Old    bocephus            01-07-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
Dirty Rats!
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       01-12-2008, 7:35 PM Reply   
OK if test driving and buying is BS, does buying the boat without ever riding in it or behind it then dropping 50K sound like better advice?

Not all boats have problems, but most have some minor imperfections that have to be corrected by the dealer. you can not buy a perfect boat, I assure you. It may be up to your scrutiny or performance standards but I assure you EXPERIENCED people can find fault with every boat. Some makes have more faults than others from the factory. CC and MC are rarely considered in the more fault group.

After you purchase and own a few boats you learn these things.