Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-29-2011, 7:16 PM Reply   
question for you mechanics

I want to add ABS and traction control to my 68 Camaro restomod (when I finally get started on it).

I plan on installing an LS7 with the correct ECU and BCM. If I have all of the correct Zo6 ABS parts, would the ABS work? The stock '68 weighs about 3120lbs and a new Zo6 weighs 3199lbs.

I'm sure that the weight distribution is different. Is there a way to reprogram the BCM to recognize the different weight distribution?

I saw a you tube clip with a GM engineer sitting in a Corvette with a lap top. He was programming the BCM (body control module) to optimize the F55 magnetic ride suspension (which would be pretty cool to install too!)

or
does anybody know a GM engineer that wouldn't mind chatting with me?

I admit that I am really only interested in ABS, because that seems to be the easiest way to tie in traction/launch control. I have found a couple of after market stability/traction control kits that need the ABS to function

thanks
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-30-2011, 10:47 AM Reply   
I'd have to look at the system, but I'd say you've got your work cut out for you. Usually the ABS would be tied to the ECM through a powertrain CAN system. Engine trans and ABS would all communicate that way. Unless someone has done this before, there is a good chance you'd have major programming issues ahead of you. You would also have to add wheel speed sensors on all wheels.

Manual trans or auto? Manual would make it easier, but still not simple. If you got an older ABS system it would also be easier as it wouldn't be tied to the ECM, but that would eliminate the launch control function. The older ABS systems didn't work great, either....

All in all.... I'd probably leave it alone, but I'm sure there may be someone out there that's done it before and would have more insight.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-30-2011, 11:25 AM Reply   
Sounds like a pipe dream. What are you trying to accomplish?
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-30-2011, 11:27 AM Reply   
thanks Evan
I have found all of the ABS parts from a ZO6; speed sensors, yaw sensors, control module, wiring harness....etc...
I am planning on running a Tremec t56 6 speed. It's the same one that the Zo6 and the Viper use.

I read a Car and Driver article about Mark Stielow, a GM engineer, that managed to in stall ABS and Traction control in a '69. I have e-mailed the writer for more info.
I know that I can get it installed and wired, I just wonder if that's enough, or if there is some software that needs changed/added.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...touring-review
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-30-2011, 11:33 AM Reply   
Michael, for now it is a pipe dream.

I have restored several classic muscle cars over the years. Next time, I just want to take things a bit further. What I want is an old muscle car that drives and feels like a modern car. I've got most of it priced out and figured out. It's the most modern stuff that has me wondering just how to incorporate them into a mix match system.

ABs, traction/stability control, heads up display, etc.....

oh, from what I've learned about the LS7, I would consider a dry sump oil system in my next surf boat.....
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-30-2011, 3:04 PM Reply   
Look into a muscle car kit it will be cheaper than trying to get new electronics to work on an old car.
Old     (dcdman67)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-30-2011, 4:44 PM Reply   
I am re-building my 67 right now. I frequent pro-touring.com, camaros.net, and lateral-g.net. All have great info. The pro touring site has a ton of 1st gen Camaro projects.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-30-2011, 6:13 PM Reply   
thanks Debo
good luck on the '67!
I found those sites the other day, but haven't spent any time on them yet. They look pretty good!

Are you going back stock?

here are some of the cars that I have done. I'm looking forward to this next one. It's gunna be a year and a half to two years before I actually get started.

the '68 GTO was my first. I miss that car....
the 'Cuda was a ton of fun!
Attached Images

Old     (dcdman67)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-30-2011, 6:30 PM Reply   
Cliff, those are some sweet cars!!

My car is actually in a shop. I started to do a pro-tour style build but then got an overseas assignment with work. I took it to a shop to have some body panels replaced and they have had it since. I have had this car for 20 years and I am finally building the car the way I want (although I am not actually doing the work).

Before I had left for Ireland, I had installed my new TCI front subframe/suspension and rear TCI four link.

It is at a point now where they are laying out the wiring system and then will go to paint for the jambs, firewall, and dash. From there, it should go pretty quick.

It has a 480HP LS3, Tremek 6spd, Currie 9in w/ 3:70's, Wilwood disk brakes, hydraulic clutch, hydroboost master cylinder, etc. It is getting close. I cant wait to get this thing finished up.

From the sound of your 68, it sounds like it is going to be a great build. Are you going to mini-tub it? Thats the one thing that I didnt do on this car. I should have.

Here is a rendering of the car.

D

67_Camaro_Render_MascollDesigns
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-30-2011, 6:38 PM Reply   
thanks Debo!
your project sounds great. Keep us posted on how you like the suspension and especially that 6 speed!
The plan is to mini tub it. I am wanting as much rubber on the road as I can get (as long as it still looks good)

Are you going with the electric hide-a-way doors?

I love those rims. Is that what your will look like?
Old     (dcdman67)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-30-2011, 6:45 PM Reply   
WIll do....67's came factory with electric hide-a-way doors, so yeah.

That rendering is pretty much how it is going to look. The color is 2010 Audi quartz metallic grey. It will have a matte black back panel. The wheels are a little different than the rendering. Here is a link to the wheel. They are made by Driverz Inc down here in SoCal. They are a sponsor on the pro-touring website and often have group by deals.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-30-2011, 6:46 PM Reply   
Sweet!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-01-2011, 9:53 AM Reply   
It's possible, Cliff.... It sounds like you're kinda set on it. It would be very different and cool, although probably pretty impractical. With enough time and money anything can be done. Good luck with it.
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-01-2011, 3:29 PM Reply   
I am pretty sure HotRod the magazine did an article a few months back.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-02-2011, 5:01 AM Reply   
thanks jwag!

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h..._for_hot_rods/