Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old    slob180            07-30-2003, 11:09 AM Reply   
A while ago some people posted that they could take good still pics with a digital camcorder. I did a search and couldn't find the info though. What kind of camcorders are you guys using??

Thanks

Chris
Old    goose69            07-30-2003, 12:15 PM Reply   
The camcorder we have that has this capability is the digital 8mm series of Sony. Our low model cam take the pic and saves it on the tape digitaly. The next model up (since they only have two really) has a memorey card to save the pics to. And our 3ccd Sony has a memory card as well. I think the biggest key is it has to be digital 8mm or just digital camcorder.

Jared Schassen
NumbSkull Productions
www.numbskullpro.com
Old    shaggydan22            07-30-2003, 12:26 PM Reply   
i have a new samsung digital camcorder and it takes stills and video. it can take a picture and save it on the tape(for 5 secs)or it has a memory card.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-30-2003, 12:49 PM Reply   
Many miniDV camcorders have still capability and do an okay job. But the pics don't compare to a decent digital camera. Camcorders are 1 or 1.5 megapixel resolution, which is pretty low. Most digital cameras are at least 3 megapixel and you can now get 5 megapixel models. But a 1 megapixel image is fine for just posting here on Wakeworld or Wakepics.com.

Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-30-2003, 12:52 PM Reply   
Can you pause on something you video taped and then make it into a still picture?
Old     (n2mywake)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-30-2003, 2:19 PM Reply   
yes you can capture stills from video
Old    absolutofft            07-30-2003, 5:54 PM Reply   
most camcorders are 0.64 megapixels and take 640x480 res pics, although I think there is some camcorders out now with 1.3 megapixel ccds for the picture taking.
Old    upupnaway            07-30-2003, 7:49 PM Reply   
I have a sony trv310- digital 8. I bought a 99 dollar firewire card and two capture programs came with it...both with the capability of taking any frame and saving it as a still photo at up to 1080x810.
The programs I use are Ulead video studio pro 6 for final edit and export,(comes with a great audio editor as well), and Ulead 4.0 for easy capture and grouping of clips.
all of these programs I use are at least 3 years old now, so I am sure it is much better and cheaper now.
Old    upupnaway            07-30-2003, 8:06 PM Reply   
These are at 360x240. the original size is too large to post.
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-31-2003, 4:42 AM Reply   
I use the TRV 340 as well. It takes great video and very good pictures outside or high lighted areas. If you are going to do low light stuff get the extra light accessory. Indoor low light situation or kinda grainy.
Old    eyesman            08-06-2003, 9:06 AM Reply   
for anyone looking to capture still pics from a digital video for wakeboarding, i would suggest waiting to buy until technology gets better. I went out and bought one, did some wakeboarding and made some stills from the video. the resolution was not good.
Old    mnwake            08-06-2003, 9:22 AM Reply   
I agree with Iceman, it works pretty good for close up, stationary stuff (see http://www.wachholz.net/Pictures/Cars/Sequoia%20Exhaust%20Detail%205.jpg for an example) but doesn't work so well for action examples (see http://www.wachholz.net/Pictures/Boat/Skiing/Mike_Jump_10.jpg for an example).
Old    demi_barbito            08-07-2003, 7:47 AM Reply   
Some Digital video cameras can be set to film in a way so that action comes out clear as "pictures". My GL-1 does that. It also takes good stills independantly.

You can also make any frame of video a still picture in most good video programs. One considerations is that there can be a flicker to the picture when it is made still. Just use the "deinterlace" command to get rid of any flicker.

When you have your still you can improt it into photoshop for the "save for web" fucntion or you can do that manually, "export as" and adjust the settings.

Demi
Old    hockeyruss            08-07-2003, 10:01 AM Reply   
My sony dig camcorder has a memory stick that records the still shots. video is recorded on a tape.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-11-2003, 10:13 AM Reply   
Sony DCR-PC101 - Saves pics directly to memory stick while continuing to record video on tape.

For the best still you should go with a 3+ megapixel still camera.

My profile pic was shot on video (with a Sony PC101) then broken out into frames by After Effects, put together in Photoshop and then saved as a jpg.