Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-14-2009, 9:06 PM Reply   
At the boat show in the Winter, one of the BU reps suggested that the wake of the new hull was a bit more rampy. If this is true, the this is not the boat for me independent of the stock or enhanced wake.

(Message edited by greatdane on May 14, 2009)
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-15-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
Greatdane, did you get my pm? Anyway checkout these guys, looks like they have some type of deal with MB or something to that effect.

http://skiboatliquidation.com/Inventory.html
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-15-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
Oh I guess it is Southern Ski Boats the dealer under a different name?????
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-15-2009, 11:10 AM Reply   
HBD, yes, thanks for the PM.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-15-2009, 11:53 AM Reply   
Why all this talk about "stock wake".

Are you going for the "best wake"? Why limit yourself to what the boat MFG's laywers thought was OK.

I recommend loading the boats for the ideal wake, and then judge. If you find that one boat requires no extra ballast - than that would be a big plus for that boat (no need for ballast cusomization, etc.).

However, if you find adding an extra 1-2K lbs of weight to a particular boat makes the wake absolutey insane - it could be much better than any "stock wake".

When I demoed boats, I showed up with 4 fat sacks and some pumps. I rode a short set unweighted to see how that worked, then I slammed the boat.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-15-2009, 12:53 PM Reply   
Yes. The stock wake matters for only the reason you stated...

If you find that one boat requires no extra ballast - than that would be a big plus for that boat (no need for ballast customization, etc.).

I went with 3 ballast bags to improve the stock wake. However, since the BU wake (with stock tanks + wedge) was very disappointing and we had limited time, we did not pursue loading it down. With the CC, we added ballast to make the wake world class. But, that means extra plumbing and removing bags after every outing to avoid mold.

As I said in my original post... I am looking for a better non-rampy wake that is easy to build. I would rather not have to plumb bags on top of the stock ballast if possible. Bags in storage lockers are a real headache for maintenance/mold/stink/mess.

Fuel economy for a world class wake also matters to me but I am finding that difficult to measure. However, my gut tells me that wake efficiency is highly related to the total ballast/wedge required to build a great wake.

Honestly, the MB purevert system is very appealing. It fills/empties in a flash. Plus, it has no pumps/hoses to maintain. That system plus a great wake shape plus a nice boat design is hard to beat.

My next step is to ride the MB for a longer period of time. I will ride it stock and add 400 lbs to the center to see the effect my lead would have on it. If I end up loving the wake, I could easily pull the trigger on this boat.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-15-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
Dane, a heads up from experience, the new CC210 is GREAT on gas, not as good as the old 210 but not far off. If you are looking for a steeper wake offering you might consider demoing the CC220. I personally hate that boat but the stock wake is ridable and steeper than the 210 IMO.

Oh, and were sure the wedge was down? Ha ha hahaa

(Message edited by Ralph on May 15, 2009)
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-15-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
GD, thanks for this thread. I know I've made my decision on my next boat based on what I see and read in this thread. Good luck with your decision.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-15-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
The CC210 and MB TWB should be equal on fuel efficiency. They both use the same engine... PCM 343, and weigh about the same... 3,800 lbs. However, the MB holds 25 more gallons of fuel so you'll go longer between fill ups.

GD - Don't sweat all the Malibu apologists... this thread is starting to feel like my boat buying thread. When I started to lean toward MB over Malibu (for many of the same reasons you've stated), all sorts of Bu lovers came out of the woodwork to tell me what a mistake I was making. Some were even so classy as to call my boat a SeaRay. Pretty mature, huh? Pay them no attention.

BTW... here is my buying thread for reference.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/664773.html?1235285589

I was comparing TWB to VTX. It's funny, so many Bu lovers were quick to tell me that I should have been looking at VLX instead of VTX as if that would have changed everything (I chose VTX due to garage limitation). One funny quote from the thread:

"if you would have done the MB vs VLX there would be no comparison, VLX would crush"

I guess this thread proves that statement false...

Trust what you saw with your own eyes. All the MB haters on this board have never seen an MB TWB in person. You are one of only a few people who have seen MB TWB vs. Malibu with your own two eyes. So all these other "opinions" are pretty worthless. You saw what you say (same thing I saw). You can either ignore it, or make your purchase accordingly.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-15-2009, 8:43 PM Reply   
To my eyes, it looks like it's dead heat wake wise between the 210 and the TWB. If it were me, if the wakes were very similar, it would come down to how they drive, price and what you can get on each boat for a certain price. You might be paying more for the Nautique name. Nice problem to have if you have to choose between these two boats. Assuming of course Malibu is out of the running now.
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-15-2009, 9:23 PM Reply   
man just have fun. whatever boat you choose will be awesome, they all will get the job done.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       05-15-2009, 10:34 PM Reply   
we are just finishing a deal on a 08 vlx. we demoed a 09 and the dealer who also rides was telling us how the wake lacked size compared to the 08. This was seen with my own eyes too. the new hull flattens out more at high speeds. I saw a noticeable difference evn with full ballast incl bow and wedge 3/4 once we hit about 22mph and was almost non existant at 25mph. Even the second dealer told me the same exact thing. They arent to happy with the 09 hull.

oh and the maliview sucks it shorted out. they gave me the option to get it added for damn near free and i said no thanks
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-15-2009, 11:42 PM Reply   
Wow, confirmation of what we saw. I guess maybe the boat was setup properly. Thanks for sharing your information Nick!
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-16-2009, 1:18 AM Reply   
i havent seen it with the 09 but i too have heard it. cant beat a 06-08 vlx hull or the 09 vride.

yo nick when you towing home the new bu?
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-16-2009, 11:33 AM Reply   
Wow, thats a strange move on Malibu's part. But, I guess most of the boat buying public prefers comfort/style over wake and the 09 BU has got to be the most comfortable and stylish boat made.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       05-16-2009, 12:39 PM Reply   
Bryan,

pretty soon its a long tow so next week sometime when i can sneak away. They are putting on some goodies for me they had to order so couldnt get it today.

JR loves your wake so i cant wait to start adding weight to get mine just right too.

GD the boats interior is 99% the same. I only saw once difference and that was in the back were they had speakers in 08 in 09 they have a stereo head too. The tower has those little cut outs now. Thats it.

I dont know why they did a new hull but then why did CC change the best hull of all time in 07 they try to one up themseleves so they can charge more.

(Message edited by nsolis220 on May 16, 2009)
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-16-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
I like the wake on the 09' VLX over the previous VLX. Can't go wrong with either. I dont care what the pictures look like. And find a sales guy who doesnt put it on "extreme mode."
Old     (jefefitz)      Join Date: May 2002       05-16-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
Dane,

Why not check out the 08 bu or give an x2 a chance. There have to be a few closeouts around after the demise of my former employer. and if memory seves me, you did show interest when the x2 first hit the showroom.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-16-2009, 1:17 PM Reply   
Correct. I like the X2 in the showroom. But, I have heard from many that the wake is rampy and the boat is hard to sink.

The comment on this thread agrees:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/685987.html?1242234661

By Justin Bishop (jrbishop4) on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 11:07 am:

I am used to the ramp that my X2 has and the MB was more steep. I think if we played around with a fat sac or two in the front that it could mellow it down to more of a ramp but there was nothing wrong with the wake the way it is as long as you like a steep wake or you know it is more of a sudden take off once you get to the wake. Once I hit it a few times and know how I was going to pop off the wake it was great and I think I was able to get more pop off the MB wake than any other wake I have been on.
Old     (jumpman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-16-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
Dane,
The TWB is a great boat but if you are considering the X2, you might want to look at the MB F-21 Tomcat also.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-16-2009, 6:44 PM Reply   
X-15 would be IMO more comparable than a X-2.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-16-2009, 7:22 PM Reply   
Our F21 Tomcat was just finished on Thursday. Mike Brendal was great to work with, so far the best boat buying experience we have had in 8 boat purchases. Last MB I had a pull behind was a couple of years ago, and it was by far the biggest stock wake I have ridden.

From what I understand the TWB is virtually the same hull as the F21 Tomcat.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-17-2009, 2:23 AM Reply   
good job on 100 posts, lets shoot for 200.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-17-2009, 7:39 AM Reply   
The BU website says...

quote:

"equipped with up to 1250 pounds of ballast and a Power Wedge for an additional 1200 pounds of displacement and shape enhancement."

If this is true and the stock wake is as paltry as what we saw, then I would say Malibu has done something very wrong with this boat.

Can anyone tell me how much extra ballast is needed to create a competitive wake?
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       05-17-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
ya easy just buy an 08. the 09 wa very disapointing

08's we just run some lead in the nose and a little in the boat about 500-750 pounds worth and you have the best wake for the money and rider unless your a pro.

check out central valley marine they have one.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-17-2009, 4:00 PM Reply   
got to say, the vinyl work on thoes mb's are sick!
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-17-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
that mb's interior looks really nice, but whats up with those hideous speaker grills?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-17-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
The MB speaker grills aren't hideous... they are functional.

Which grill do you think will best protect the speaker from damage on a crowded boat?

Upload
Upload
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-17-2009, 8:42 PM Reply   
well a speaker is more likely to be kicked than hit with a hand...
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       05-17-2009, 10:03 PM Reply   
My friend has about 2400 lbs total in his 09 VLX and the wake is great with 2 people in the boat. his set up is pretty painless to set up.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-17-2009, 10:49 PM Reply   
Greg, is that 2400 lbs plus wedge?
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-18-2009, 6:28 AM Reply   
Those MB grills are $$$, literally. I am sure you could order the boat without them if you don't like the look. They cost about the same as the speakers that they are protecting. You can also order them with different anodized colors.