Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       05-18-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
Ok, so I got up the nerve to try a raley a couple of times yesterday, but I am having some problems. From watchin Higher Ed, and reading everything I can about it, it seems that I am supposed to be feeling a strong tug from the boat after I go flat. Well I am not feeling that, as a matter of fact it I seem to loose some tension and either do a dive or a flip. So I am wondering if I need to let my legs swing out then just without the tug pull the handle back to my knees? Any help would be appreciated. I kinda thought just getting the nerve to try it would be the hard part, but now Im kinda clueless.. I know I look like a goob, but dont laugh to hard at the videos. I am uploading them now to my site. Should have them up in a min.
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       05-18-2007, 11:03 AM Reply   
http://www.blackwaterrydas.com/raley.htm

if you cant view it, go to the site, right click and choose save target as.
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-18-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
I don't do raleys, but I'll give you my two cents. The reason I don't think your feeling the pull from the boat is because it appears that you are letting off your edge in the trough of the wake. I've been told to sit back, keep your arms out, and try to hold it all the way through the wake. With your arms extended, you should naturally be pulled over the front of the board.

Now, the reason for the front flip and can tell you from experience. Don't look down, either look for the interior of the boat or the tower.

Hope that helps.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-18-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
Simple. You're coming off edge and losing your line tension. Keep on that edge thru the top of the wake. Keep trying!
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       05-18-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
so should I feel the tug once I hit it right, or am I going to just pull it down right after I extend all the way
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-18-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
Again, this is only from what I've been told. But, when you feel the tug, you should be pulling the handle down toward your waist to bring your lower body back underneath you.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2007, 9:05 PM Reply   
you prolly should consider more aggressive edge...
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-19-2007, 7:59 PM Reply   
that last attempt would make a sick trick!! you need to cut out more and end on a more agressive cut, because, no offense, thats not really a raley, its more of an extended method, well actually i take that back, sometimes its under extended and others its over extended, but its always sideways so make sure you have that rope straight ahead at the middle of the trick.
Old     (muddyboss)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-21-2007, 12:00 AM Reply   
i find when im just doing big cuts i get the two tug effect when i cut in hs on my switch, whereas i get nothing when i cut in on my stronger normal hs..
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-21-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
I didn't watch your film but I don't think I need to. I too had similar problems with this trick. Here are my tips for you. Make sure you are not just turning your board at the wake and trying to come screaming in. Line tension is key to this trick. Cut further out for this then any trick you do now. Run a progressive edge in (remember it starts slow and builds) After you pop drive your hips back not the board. You will feel the tug once laid out. YOU WILL FOR SURE KNOW IT most new people get the rope yanked out of their hands. Make sure you are looking at the tower here or you will flip in the direction you are looking. Once you get past the tug push the handle down toward the water.Don't pull it at you that will only accelerate you face first into the lake. Your body will hinge down. Then move the handle to the recovery position. A tramp really helps with this trick. Good luck
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-22-2007, 9:50 PM Reply   
how do you simulate the raley on the tramp, Scott?
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-23-2007, 4:38 AM Reply   
David, its not so much simulating the 'tug', but more getting used to laying out by encouraging your butt/hips to fly back, and learning how your feet follow. I've found the best way to get good extension (as taught in the Book) is to bounce a foot or so closer to the handle than normal the jump before you go for the extension. Then, after extension, crank that handle down towards the tramp to get your feet back under you.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-24-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
okay for one, you need to be more agressive like everyone is saying. "Get your ass in the water or don't bother" is the best I have ever heard. This might keep the rope a little tighter as well. Be looking for the tower on the boat immediately when you release off that wake or your screwed.

Also, you actually could be landing these as more like a donkey kick type raley if you would just hold on to the rope. You are letting go with one hand which is also ending the trick at an early stage and making you take a dive. I've seen plenty of people land raleys like you are throwing them by just holding onto the rope and pulling it back in really hard (not too hard).

I always keep my edge strong and let my body get thrown into a raley at the last minute. To me, this keeps the rope tight, throws me into the superman position, and then I still feel the hard yank from the boat.

Keep a stable edge and centered weight is most important to complete this trick. If you learn it with a slight stargaze, you will have a hard time trying to turn this trick into Hoochies and or other raley type moves.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-24-2007, 10:23 PM Reply   
Take a harder edge, dont back off, look at the tower and you should not get stargazed..Upload
This was my son's first 3yrs ago got knock out on the 2nd. good luck
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-24-2007, 10:29 PM Reply   
Do this....

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3184/408691.html?1174163407
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-29-2007, 5:34 PM Reply   
David to do a raley on the tramp. Start by making sure you are getting consistent height. Start your bounce with your feet slightly ahead of you most people say a foot that is to far for me. This helps keep the line tight. Get the handle chest high as you push off the tramp push your hips out behind you not up and the rest of the "foot" work will happen the board will swing up on its own as your hips go out. The tug here is less then on the lake but still there. Push the handle down to the tramp and your feet will swing in fast. Make sure not to pull the handle at you because it will pull your momentum forward and then you will be on your face or worse picking your ass up out off the yard. Start this little and keep going till you are completely laid out. It took me about three sessions on the tramp till I felt safe enough to let it out.