Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-01-2008, 4:36 PM Reply   
been trying backrolls after one having an injury that put me out for over six months then after got the courage to try again i hit the bottom of the lake after going out the front door! went to try last weekend and the tantrum before trying broke my cwb platinum straight down the middle! im sick about it obviously . using a back up premiere which is a little big but will do. ok got my courage back finally but just cant get the board going out behind me. im fine on crows tantrums ect but roll has been a thorn in my side. im going out tomorow so advice would be brilliant! is christopherstack still on here im sure he would be able to give me a good answer, cos im sick of this ugly frantrum. tried about 10 times and its not progressing forward

here is a youtube clip. i do let go on landing. i dont see the landing so im doing it wrong sorry bout the quality but hey sure someone must be an expert with a magnifying glass right??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSMBwlgv-98
Old     (gdhall)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-01-2008, 8:01 PM Reply   
i dunno if it's help but i find that i land it more when i keep both hands on the handle as long as possible.
Old     (ryman32)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-02-2008, 4:58 PM Reply   
A few things:

First. A frantrum is a mix of a front flip and a tantrum, not a backroll, so you're not doing that.

Second: When u start your flip it looks like bringing your head and upper body forward towards your toes. You want your head and back shoulder to drop towards your back foot which will give you the BACKroll.

third: WAIT! make sure you get to the top of the wake before throwing the trick. You are rushing it a little. When you wait your pop will a lot higher.
Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-03-2008, 4:24 AM Reply   
Thanks ryan i will give it a go at the weekend. i mean sorta mexi which of course not what i want to do. it was a bit rushed i was getting tired and frustrated.
Old     (huevo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-05-2008, 9:59 PM Reply   
There are two types of backrolls a mexican backroll (which is what your doing) and a progressive backroll, which is the standard one that Ryan is describing above. You have the right form for a Mexican Backroll and I think it's the easier of the two to learn, but it's just a matter of preference.

You've almost got it, it looks like you've got the handle a little high above your waste. Pull that sucker into your hips especially at the trough of the wake and this will speed up your rotation and keep it from flying out of your hands on the landing. You should have it after a couple of more sets, good luck!
Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-06-2008, 5:03 PM Reply   
i still havnt got it. really dont want to be doing mexicans. one of the guys said it maybe the change of board. i changed it on the day i was trying them rolls. broke it in warm up on a on a tantrum. landed not that huge but it popped straight in the middle, there goes the cwb absolute! on a hyperlite premier 140 something
which is alot different to a 135. guess i better keep trying. and stop making excuses too!

(Message edited by tantrum999 on July 06, 2008)
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-07-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
Ryan Miller has it right, You appear to be throwing your chest towards the water, think of the trick as more of making the board do a big loop around you.