Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-16-2013, 9:25 AM Reply   
Have a chance to pick up one of these for $4;750.Upholstery need work a few gauges don't work, including engine hours.Want to turn it over or maybe keep it for boarding.So would it be worth fixing it up for a profit? Stringers look good.Comes with a pole.No other damage other than upholstery.Comes with a very new looking trailer.Thanks in advance!
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-16-2013, 9:33 AM Reply   
Unless upholstery wok means a few seams and stitches a boat like that can quickly turn into a money pit. Upholstery is one of the single most expensive things in a boat of that age. I have walked away from what looked to be a good deal minus vinyl ALOT. If you want to use it fine, but as an investment....no way. I have been buying/selling/flipping boats and other recreational stuff since 2006 as a hobby. 2 things I don't touch...bad engines or bad upholstery. Unless the deal is smoking and IMO that is not. Just my 2 cents.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-16-2013, 9:35 AM Reply   
Ive heard that with some weight they throw a awesome wakeboard wake, just a little narrow, but thats a pretty decent price if it runs good.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-16-2013, 9:39 AM Reply   
Ya the upholstery is pretty trashed.Allot of seams are split.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-16-2013, 9:44 AM Reply   
I know a place right now I could buy a mint 89 super low hours with tower, speakers, nice stereo, racks, pp, New interior, etc. Its at a dealer and as such is always worth a little more(in my mind) as they are checked out and you get a water test etc. That boat could be bought for 8K

I have also heard they throw a great wake. So if your buying to use the deal might be right. But like I said as an investment....nope!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-21-2013, 3:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
I know a place right now I could buy a mint 89 super low hours with tower, speakers, nice stereo, racks, pp, New interior, etc. Its at a dealer and as such is always worth a little more(in my mind) as they are checked out and you get a water test etc. That boat could be bought for 8K

I have also heard they throw a great wake. So if your buying to use the deal might be right. But like I said as an investment....nope!
Do you have a link to that boat?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-16-2013, 9:57 AM Reply   
Are you going to do the interior yourself? My buddy just did an interior on one, I think he paid 800-1200 and didn't do the engine cover... engine cover was 300 bucks. So let's say the interior cost 1500 - that puts you at 6250 spent? Plus time and elbow grease to make it super nice and fix wiring gauges etc... You'll be in for 6-7 on a boat that is worth 6-7. IMO these aren't 10k boats anymore - even with a tower. You can get mid 90s sport nautiques for 10ish, I just saw one go for less than 9500... Buy to use put money into and sell for what you paid/have into it, but you won't be turning much/any profit. If you could get it for 4000 or less, then maybe a slight profit.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-16-2013, 2:18 PM Reply   
Ya I'm realizing now these boats don"t bring $10,000 anymore.The engine cover is ripped all the way across.@Delta,i think you live in VT?You can see it on VT Craigslist I"ts in Williston VT.Just type in wakeboard.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-16-2013, 3:27 PM Reply   
Where are you located, Mike? That doesn't look like an awful deal, but like I said, probably not to flip for a profit. If you bought it, put in some elbow grease and then turned it around, you wouldn't lose money and it'd be fun... Wonder if he'd take 4. I am not near my family lake/boat and friends with boats, I need a boat up here!!!
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-16-2013, 4:08 PM Reply   
I'm in Shelburne.IDK I think $4,000.00 for that would be a good deal if one put some effort into it.Throw some fatsacks in there and hit the lake.Do you know if there is a test on an engine that can determine hrs?
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-16-2013, 4:15 PM Reply   
BTW Delta there is also a 1989 supra near me for $5,800.00 at Marine Plus in North Feririsburg,VT.Wonder if one could get a good wake outa that.That"s also where the Nauti 226 I mentioned in other thread is for sale.$45,000.00
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-16-2013, 4:18 PM Reply   
That old of a boat, no way to tell hours. Not like you can plug into the computers on current stuff.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-16-2013, 4:20 PM Reply   
Ya that"s what I thought.Oh well.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-16-2013, 4:59 PM Reply   
Do a compression and leakdown test. I've got a buddy with a 2001. Hr meter is broke but we are think it is well north of 1200, if not 2000 hours. He has it pitched down but it pulls like a raped date! Those engines and trannys are BEASTs.

Mike, where do you ride? I need to find some wake buddies in VT. I work at Jay Peak and haven't ridden in VT yet, moved here last July and I missed the lake a ton.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-16-2013, 6:23 PM Reply   
I bought one 6 years or so ago and they are amazing. If you have a small crew or a small family they are perfect. Weighted down the wake is awesome and almost any trick can be thrown on one. I paid 5ish for mine and the interior was shot to heck. I have twice that into with new stringers, paint, motor work, etc over the years and when I sell it I am shooting for 7500 ish and hopefully I can even get that.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-17-2013, 3:09 PM Reply   
Raymond how much was it to re-upholster it.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-17-2013, 3:14 PM Reply   
Delta we used to ride on Shelburne bay till it got too toxic.In the past few years we would all get sick after a set.Soooo we go to Lake George now.I"ve been going to LG since I was a kid.Always love to see what Adirondack Marine has for boats.I think they have a G-23 there I want to look at.They sell Tiges and Nautiques.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-17-2013, 5:06 PM Reply   
Nice. My family got our Tige at ADK Marine. Been there many times, 2 yrs ago to mooch a ride on the 230. I didn't get a ride on the G there last year, but I got a ride on it in Canandaigua and Lemontree
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-18-2013, 4:51 AM Reply   
Ya I forget the name of the pro rider that brought his G23 there last year while on a tour..I missed the boat on that one.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-19-2013, 5:29 PM Reply   
Some pics the day we finished it.
Attached Images

Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-19-2013, 5:26 PM Reply   
Mike I do not remember but we did all the work ourselves. I dumped the passenger seat and only covered the driver seat and the motor cover. Everthing else I custom built and left carpeted. It has helped up great, I am going to have to redo the swim platform this year as it has had the most water on it for the last couple of years. The engine cover was a pain in the a** and took a few attempts to get it right. If you are someone you know can sew vinyl then it is alot cheaper to do it yourself. I think I was quoted $500ish just for getting the engine cover and was not going to do that.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-21-2013, 4:03 PM Reply   
http://www.winboatsweb.com/winboats/...ique-2001.html

Its been sitting there for well over a year. Bet they'd like it gone!!
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-21-2013, 4:55 PM Reply   
Raymond that"s an awesome job!!Looks clean!Great idea with carpeting.Makes me want to get that 2001 for a fun project!
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-21-2013, 5:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Unless upholstery wok means a few seams and stitches a boat like that can quickly turn into a money pit. Upholstery is one of the single most expensive things in a boat of that age. 2 things I don't touch...bad engines or bad upholstery. Unless the deal is smoking and IMO that is not. Just my 2 cents.
Its a small boat. I'd be far more concerned with the mechanical. I'd imagine you could get the skins done for around 500 and it wouldn't take but a day or 2 to install them. Personally I think the upholstery on these boats look like crap and I would want it changed anyways. With that said if you have a small crew these boats are awesome. They throw a great wake without going overkill with weight.

Get the boat checked out and tell him you need cash under the going rate for gauges and interior. If he doesnt budge move on. Too many nice boats out there to waste cash on fixing one up
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-21-2013, 7:26 PM Reply   
Mike, what do you ride behind now?
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-22-2013, 4:58 AM Reply   
Mike, where are you located? How much are you looking to spend? I may have a project SN2001 for you :-)
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-22-2013, 2:05 PM Reply   
William great points.Delta,currently without,looking.Going to ADK marine soon see what they have for deals.Always wanted a 2001 to tinker with.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-22-2013, 2:06 PM Reply   
Raymond I'm in Vermont.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-22-2013, 6:55 PM Reply   
Dang that's a long drive!! I am 90% positive I am going to sell mine. Just waiting on a phone call to make sure I have the money to upgrade.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-23-2013, 8:54 AM Reply   
@Raymond good luck on sale and new boat!!