Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-28-2003, 9:24 PM Reply   
For convenience I ordered my VLX with the stock JBL head unit and four Infinity speakers. I'd like to add amps, subwoofer(s), and tower speakers. I'm looking to get set up right without going TOO insane, but I don't want to be rebuilding the system in a year.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Amps: 2 Phoenix Gold 600.4's (factory refurb)

Sub(s): 1 or 2 Elemental Design e12kd4 12" subs

Tower Speakers: Skylon Deafcon III or IV

I can get my best deal on the Skylons, and I understand they are really LOUD.

I'm thinking of running one 12" sub in the boat with the IV's or two 12's with the III's. The idea would be to run the subs from one amp and the 6 1/2's off the other. I will use the fader to adjust the relative volume of the tower vs. the interior speakers.

I am told the IV setup is VERY loud, but the III setup seems more "balanced" with 4 - 6 1/2's in the boat and on the tower and two subs in the boat. The overall price ends up about the same.

Anybody have any thoughts?
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-28-2003, 9:57 PM Reply   
Can I have your boat?
Old    cws_kahuna            02-28-2003, 10:02 PM Reply   
Sounds like a hell of a setup to me. I think it would last more than one year for ya.
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       03-01-2003, 6:00 AM Reply   
Sounds great Brad!
Be sure not to skimp on wiring!
Get the fosgate of equivalent twisted RCA's
You said you got the second battery.
I'm wondering if you might still need to change
the ground wire between the two batteries.
We'll see how much enging noise you get.
Get at least 14 guage speaker wire.

With the weak ground boats have you will likely
have to battle engine noise once you get that
high-end stuff in there. But, its a batttle
that can be won with some well placed noise reducers and some seriously heavy wiring everywhere.
I even had to fortify some other grounds going to
the deck and various dash components. But that's
Toyota. They are notorious for engine noise due to all the electronics in the motor and dash.

I can't beleive you went to see the boat without a camera!!!!
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-02-2003, 6:17 PM Reply   
Yeah, I'm a loser. Actually, I don't have a digital camera. I need to invest in a cheapie for the boat.

I was thinking about building pvc cans like you, but Rich at Land O' Lakes is hooking me up on accessories with the boat. At the price I'm getting, it makes sense to get the Skylons.

I have a few details to finalize (bimini, etc.), and I'm still thinking about those MTX amps.

I'm picking the boat up without the tower/bimini on Friday. Maybe we can hook up next weekend...
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-02-2003, 7:39 PM Reply   
Looks great Brad, let us know was soon as you have some pictures!

One thing to consider is weight and size. I'm not sure how rigid the collapsable Swoop is, but the DIV's are close to 35lbs. which is a lot to swing from your tower. Also, the IV's will drop lower, which could cause more interference with your bimini when folding and unfolding than the IIIs would.

Either way it should be a sweet setup. You shouldn't have any problems with noise if you route things well, and the factory ground at the battery is more than enough. Make sure your charging system is up to the task though, as the Deafcon's are power hungry (especially the IVs), and MTX amps are underrated by a lot.
Old    wantboatnow            03-02-2003, 7:55 PM Reply   
Just to let you know I just installed the II's today, and the stock Skylon bimini does interfer with the corner of the speaker. I have to put preasure on the bimini to get it to clear.
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-02-2003, 8:25 PM Reply   
Those are good points...

I'm going to call Skylon tomorrow to verify details on which of their biminis works with the Deafcon III's. I'd like a larger bimini (they come in 5', 6', and 7'), but I want it to stow under the speakers. Maybe they'll make it with slightly shorter legs knowing it will be stowed under speakers.

I only spent five minutes in the new boat the other day, and Land O' Lakes Marine sold their demo VLX shortly after I made my decision.

It looked like you could build a sub box behind the kick plate using the original piece as the front baffle. If so, would a 12" speaker fit in there? The elementals require very little enclosed area (<1^').
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-03-2003, 8:59 AM Reply   

BT- I have a 6' skylon bimini with a pair of 530's. I just got the speaks and the bimini is not even close to fitting with them. I am going to get it cut down, but only have 2.5" to cut and dont think it will fit after cutting.
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-03-2003, 6:49 PM Reply   
OK, I've spoken to Skylon, and their bimini is out. It has not been designed to work with the Deafcon III's. Land O' Lakes has a bimini guy, so I'll use him for a custom install.

On the amp setup, I'm being told that when using a component setup (Kicker K65.2) it is important to run 1 channel per speaker so the amp "sees" a 4 ohm load. I am being told by a tech guy this produces the best SQ in component speakers.

Does this sound right?

I was planning on PG 600.2's because I've read a lot of good things about them here. My plan was to use each set of speakers (4 tower and 4 internal boat) each using 2 of 4 channels and the speakers wired parallel. Otherwise, I might consider two 5 channel amps, each running the 4 speakers and a sub.

Something like the MTX Thunder 4405?
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       03-04-2003, 7:09 AM Reply   
Your gettin the FEVER BRAD!

Those MTX will handle the bridging well,
the only issue would be excessive heating
of the amps. A decent 12v fan would take care
of that. Much cheaper than a second amp.

On the other hand, you heard right.
the proper amp set up is the 4ohm load.
It will produce a higher sound quality at
a lower volume.
You have to decide what you need more....
volume or SQ

If you have better than
average speakers, they will take care of the quality issue for you.

I have to admit, I opted
for the separate amp for each. Tower, sub and interior each have their own amp. Now I have both
SQ and volume.

Why don't you start out slow with the intention
of adding to the system as you go along.
Over the next few months you will learn a lot
about audio and be better informed to make
your decisions.

Start with a single 5 channel and get your sub,
two interior and tower powered. You can scale
from there.
If you are sure you want two subs I would recomend
a classD mono amp for them separately. Two four channels and a ClassD mono should not cost you more than a pair of 5 channels.

Start slow and make your system scalable.
First thing is getting top-notch wiring in place.
You can build slowly from there. I think
trying to jam your system in before the boat is
in the water will only lead to expensive regrets.

Come by and hear my system.
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-04-2003, 7:58 AM Reply   
BT I am in the process or redoing my system also and here is what I am putting in. I have a 02 XStar so I am pulling out the Factory Clarion free air 10 and replacing the entire kick with a new on to house 2 10' Phoenix Gold Tantrums in a box that fits in the space behind the panel. I am also replaceing the Clarion 4 channel amp with a HiFonics Zeus z8000 5 channel that will run the 6' and tweet in the boat and I pulled the Kenwood amp that was running the Boss B60's and replaced it with a HiFonics Boltar that will now run 2 sets of B60's. All this will be run from the Battery but I am putting in a 1 farad and .5 farad cap for power. The thing that I have not skimped on are the wires and the way it is fused. I have a 140 amp circuit breaker along with 40amp AWG max fuses and inline on the caps I have 40 amp fuses. I am also putting in and Audio Control 6xs electronic crossover with Bass control to really control my subs. I have the same problem with my Bimini in that I can't put it up without taking it off and opening it them putting it on the tower. Its a pain in the a#* but worth the pain inorder for the sound. I will put in pictures when its all done. By the way you can get a nice 8' amp rack fan and a lot of really good deals on other stuff at www.sounddomain.com. They have been the least expensive place out there. Good luck.
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-04-2003, 10:00 PM Reply   
I spoke with Land O' Lakes marine, and the JBL head unit that comes stock in the VLX has front, rear, and sub RCA pre-amps out. I was originally thinking of two subs because I wanted bass when I fade to the towers. Since the head unit truly does have a "summed" sub out, I can get away with one sub. That leaves money for wiring!

The final setup -

Tower: Skylon Deafcon III
Boat: Infinity 6.5 Kappa
Sub: Elemental Design e12kd4
Amps: 2 MTX 6304 4 channel, 1 MTX 6500D Mono Sub
Sub Enclosure: AudioFormz 12W02 fiberglass shell

Thanks for all the offline help, Sandy!

Email is a beautiful thing...

Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-05-2003, 7:58 PM Reply   
Post script:

Chad,

I got a call from Land O' Lakes Marine. Skylon called and verified that the 5' bimini works with the Deafcon III's. I hope they're right. I'll be getting a Skylon bimini after all...

Stewart,

Good call! I bought the amps from SoundDomain.com.
Old    tabiggs            03-06-2003, 8:58 AM Reply   
Just for comment.....
Be careful of your Phoenix Gold 600.4's
Had 6 of those in my boat and they created alot of DC power.. Blowing the speakers eventually..

I just installed 2 new JL audio 13W7's for subs running 2 JL 1000 watt amps on each.. In addition, 4 McIntosh 2X100 for all the highs, Installed custom tower running Image dynamic horns. High current Alternator.. Anyway, If you want some advide for true power or ideas.. let me know... i have tried about everything

(Message edited by tabiggs on March 06, 2003)
Old    tabiggs            03-06-2003, 9:02 AM Reply   

Macintosh
more
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-06-2003, 12:28 PM Reply   
Tomm I think you have more $$ in stereo equipment then i have in the total cost of my 86 nautique.I am so jealous i dont even have a head unit yet....
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-06-2003, 8:11 PM Reply   
Holy crap, Tom...that's amazing! I think you win the BIG prize. I have wondered about using true PA gear for tower speakers. You're the first person I've seen actually do it.

You should patent that!

I had looked into small Electro Voice PA speakers, the SX80 I believe. At some point I ruled them out...I believe one person posted that he had less than satisfactory results.

If I'm ever in Texas, I'd like to hear what life is like behind your boat!

}
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-06-2003, 9:01 PM Reply   
IDQ horns aren't PA gear, but they do look awesome in that application. Give us some more details Tom, how do you like the Tsunami?
Old    steveaz            03-06-2003, 9:24 PM Reply   
BT, plan on cooling those amps. I have those exact amps and had to install fans.
Old    tabiggs            03-07-2003, 3:06 AM Reply   
Here is a picture of the tower, The IDQ's sound really clean, i was hesitant at first because i had never heard of horns for the highs but they really do throw out some killer LOUD sound. The Tsunami is on order, wont get here till April 15th. This equip was inj my 02 Typhoon and just pulled out last week to get ready for the install in the Tsunami :-)

M.I.A. - You are so right about the fans, Do you have any ideas, the temp is really Hot, I def need to cool them this time around, especially in Texas , Austin Summer :-(

tower

(Message edited by tabiggs on March 07, 2003)