Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-15-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
I have an 03 malibu wakesetter xti and was looking for some ideas on the best way to add weight.... any suggestions
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-15-2009, 9:28 PM Reply   
where to add weight or how to add weight?
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       12-16-2009, 6:14 AM Reply   
Try getting a ton (30-50) old car battery cases, wash them out good, and fill with sand or concrete. Or get small rubbermaid tubs and fill with concrete. The trick is to find something what will fit under the seats. We have an '06 Ride xti and have the same problem, but I'm gonna solve it this season I think, with the above solutions.
Old     (06aw)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-16-2009, 6:27 AM Reply   
I would tear out all the seats and build forms to make new seats and fill them with about 15 yards of concrete. Other than that I suggest you quit trying to keep up with your friends!
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       12-16-2009, 8:26 AM Reply   
Great post Rod, very helpful.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-16-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
In an xti layout you'll find getting a couple of 150# brick type fat sacs is useful. They can go anywhere and be moved when full because of the handles. And you can still sit on them. Also a tube sac in the rear locker is great.
People make great ballast in the xti because they can all watch the rider. I never recommend adding concrete or metal as ballast in significant amounts.
Do you have any of the factory ballast?
Old     (06aw)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-16-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
I ride with him. Just giving him crap. Sorry if it was taken wrong.
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       12-16-2009, 1:32 PM Reply   
Ah, a misunderstanding on the internet. Will wonders never cease?

My bad!
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-16-2009, 2:25 PM Reply   
Rod....Dont make me have to come to your house...! ha

Art I have an 800 lb sac that I put in the wrap around seating in the back,the wedge, and I have the three stock mls ballast. I also have two hundred lb tractor weights the the front... I thought about putting some weight in the back locker but was afraid to because on the gas tank...?? If I have several people in the boat it throws an awesome wake, just trying to get that wake with a driver and observer...another thing is that my boat was custom ordered new by its first owner and he ordered a wakesetter with the diamond hull as oposed to the wake hull..didn't really know that at first..
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-16-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
malibu...how and where?
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-17-2009, 6:59 PM Reply   
steve I have a buddy that just bought a 06 xti ride...just curious..how do you weight it?
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-22-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
I just sold my Malibu XTI. I found a perfect wake on it. It had the MLS which was 500lbs in the ski locker up front. Put the wedge down and I added 1-750 lb bag in the lounge area in the back on the floor between the seats and then i stacked another 750 lb bag on top of it and the back of the boat over the cooler. This was one of the best wakes I have ever ridder, until i got my Epic.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-23-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
You are going to need LOTS of weight (lead) for that hull. A buddy of mine has the same boat and we have tried everything, the last time out we put the following it in:

750 in the bow, 400 in the locker, 600 in the walkway, 1200+ in the back plus the factory rear and bow tanks AND about 6 peeps. Even then it was pretty "stock" IMHO.
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       12-23-2009, 11:02 AM Reply   
L.D., the best way to weight those is with 10-12 people! Unfortunately I don't often have that many to go around so what I have done in the past is this:

wedge down
stock locker bag full
250lb bag under rear drivers side seats
250lb bag beside engine compartment (i know this doesn't make it even front-back but it balances side-side)
put a 500lb bag on the floor in the middle of the "wrap-around" rear seating and fill it as full as you can.
if you get enough in the middle bag, put another bag on top of it across the very back of the seating area.

Like I said, I'm going to look into all options including empty battery cases filled with sand, rubbermaid tubs of concrete, etc.