Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old    boardman74            09-19-2005, 9:30 PM Reply   
Quite a few of you on here claim to be getting 15-20% off MSRP on your new boats. Is this for showroom boats or custom orders. What should I expect to pay. Say off MSRP and off options. What are the secrets to getting the price you want. Where I am located I have one dealer that is about an hour away and than the next is over 2. So it's not like I can walk away and drive down the road. I am looking at new Moombas, as that is what I can afford. Just trying to figure out what I want to pay for what and walk in there and have control and avoid the let's see what my manager says.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-20-2005, 6:15 AM Reply   
It's economics...supply and demand. sounds like you might be getting the short end of the stick. If your in an area where dealers are selling lots of boats they can make up profit on volume....but that may not be the case for you. Have you looked at one year old boats? Most warranties are transferable for a small fee and soemone else has worked the majority of the bugs out (spent the time takign the boat to the dealer)and takin the first year depreciation hit. Soudns like your looking to make a somewhat financially based decison. Financially it does not make sense to buy a brnad new boat. But many people aren't as concerned with making a sound financial descision. Just a thought. you could proabbly expect to get 5-10% off MSRP, is my guess.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-20-2005, 6:30 AM Reply   
1 or two hours away is not enough distance to keep me from walking away from a bad deal. If the dealer gives you much trouble on the sale of the boat, how much trouble will that be when you need service?
Old     (outbackls)      Join Date: May 2004       09-20-2005, 6:40 AM Reply   
Todd,
We live in Michigan and have now purchased 2 new Moomba boats. The first was a 2003 Outback LS and our new boat is a 2005 Mobius LSV. In both cases I ordered our boats at our winter boat show and basically got 10% off the price I worked out on the Moomba web site. That was the out the door price including freight, tax, title, and prep. If you can attend the boat show you will also be able to take advantage of the incentives the manufactures give to buyers. Skiers Choice (Moomba) was giving away like 3 options worth $1,500. Also if you are able to put at least 10% down on a new boat you should be able to get out from under it or trade up in 2 seasons. That's what we did. Good luck.
Old    boardman74            09-20-2005, 6:43 AM Reply   
I didn't mean to imply I have had problems with the dealer. What I was saying is that I really can't shop around to get the best price. I want to make the best deal I can to get the most for my money. Not like the car dealers, where we went to 6 dealers in 1 day to shop the deal around. Thta's why I'm asking about what people are paying because I can't compare. I just wanted to know what's fair. It's funny I live in The Twin Cities Metro area of Minnesota. 3 million people and 1 Moomba/Supra dealer.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-20-2005, 10:38 AM Reply   
Hey Todd, not sure how the guys up at FLMS det up their priceing, but we (Midwest MasterCraft) give the same price to everybody. We typically discuss what a customers time frame, expectations and needs are and then set up what is best for them. MSRP is not always the best way to guage what type of deal you are getting, I would spend some time with the dealer and discuss your needs and time frame for getting into a new boat, I have a hard time imagining that they would do you wrong.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-20-2005, 10:52 AM Reply   
The local winter boat show is always a good way to get a deal without trying too hard. There is lots of cometition from other manufacturers at a time when sales are slow and the warehouses are busting at the seams. There are typically very good rebate/discount programs available.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-20-2005, 3:29 PM Reply   
Jeff Burnside - do you deal with Club Royale in Waterford? I live in Troy and while searcing it seems to be the only Moomba dealer in the area. My Dad and I are looking into the 06 Moombas for next spring and would appreciate any feedback on your experiences with that dealer if you even use them.
-Thanks-
Old    boardman74            09-21-2005, 6:23 AM Reply   
Where are all the people at that I have seen on here saying I paid 15% off MSRP and 20% off acc. Is that a thing of the past? Have gas prices hurt the boat market, equaling lower prices? I'm just trying to get an idea what I should be offering. Is 15% off msrp out the door to much to ask?
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-21-2005, 6:35 AM Reply   
I think most of those 15-20% off people are buying end of year models, meaning the new ones are coming out soon. I have a salesman really pushing for me to buy an 05 Tige right now because the 06's are due in any day now. Add to that that if he doesn't sell them this year he is paying taxes on that inventory. Anybody want a great deal on a 20v?
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       09-21-2005, 9:16 AM Reply   
Todd,

I can tell you that Moomba's overall pricing strategy does not create huge MSRP numbers that then can later show large "discounts" to arrive at the final price. It is more of a Saturn approach where nationally the retail number will not vary much and the quoted price usually is a fair price for the dealer(and the customer..hopefully) to sell the boat at. This is part of the reason that the Moomba's tend to be under other products in pricing.

That is not to say you cannot "Negociate". If we can help at all at the factory, please let us know.

Rick
Old     (johnbowen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-23-2005, 6:19 AM Reply   
bought a new 2004 Supra Launch LTS, that the dealer had on his lot for nine months. Nothing wrong with the boat at all; he just had not sold it. I think it had 4 hours on it when i received it.

MSRP with all the options was somewhere around 44K. I got it for $31,500 and he drove it 250 miles to my house to deliver it.
Old    zboomer            09-23-2005, 9:06 AM Reply   
Sounds like a REALLY geat deal, but I don't see how you could get an LTS up to $44k msrp. That's about what MSRP was on my '04 SSV.

As for discounts in general, a LOT depends on your location, and time of year you buy it. It also depends on how much margin a given builder has between dealer cost and MSRP, so there is more room to negotiate on some brands than others.

In the spring of '04 I bought a new Supra SSV, and was only able to negotiate about $2500 off MSRP, due to them selling every boat they got in quickly. Totally wrong time to buy a boat.

This past WINTER I negotiated, and ordered a loaded '05 Malibu VLX, and even though it was a brand new hull and model, I negotiated $12,500 off MSRP. Took two months to do it, but didn't matter since it was December. :-)

Worked out great though. It got built, and delivered in March, right as season gets going.