Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old    bambamski            05-26-2005, 2:10 PM Reply   
I'm changing the oil at 10 hours here and I was wondering if it really matters what kind of 15w 40 you put in engine. Can I just head down to the automotive store or does it have to be marine oil? It's the indmar MCX.

Also oil filter, is there a better/worse one to use?
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-26-2005, 2:33 PM Reply   
No it does not have to be “marine.”

Per a recommendation from a friend and a mechanic... I used NAPA oil and NAPA Gold filter on my MC for the last few years with no problems. I also use NAPA Gold filters on my Tahoe.

Check old posts for more info... on feedback re: different brand filters.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-26-2005, 9:43 PM Reply   
I use Chevron Delo, of course I work for Chevron so I am biased.
Old    powerstroke            05-27-2005, 11:25 AM Reply   
really i use that stuff in my powerstroke. it's cool for boats too? delo 400 is the way to go i guess!!!!
Old    rtm            05-27-2005, 9:49 PM Reply   
10hrs Pat... you must be a proud father!!!

It's gonna be a busy summer, lot's of new boats out on the water already?????

Good luck with the fluid change...
Cheers,
Todd
Old     (magnusm)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-28-2005, 10:31 PM Reply   
I think you are better off with either marine or diesel oil. Boat engines run a lot cooler than cars so as I understand it there is a different formulation of additives that help prevent rust vs. additives you need for a car. Sure it might cost a little more, but there are differences vs. auto oil. I'll second the Napa gold filters though, I use them on all my vehicles and they seem to be a quality filter (expecially when compared to Fram or some other cheap junk).
Just my opinion, but with the cost of the boat I'd error on the side of giving it the right stuff.