Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-07-2012, 7:21 PM Reply   
Bought my wife a 2012 Ronix FHL setup. It comes with those thumbscrews for the bindings and no matter what I do I can't get the screws in far enough to secure the bindings. The screw isn't bottoming out it's just something wrong with the threads.

Anybody else have this experience? It's crazy to me that you have to go buy your own hardware for a brand new setup. Is this a known issue with Ronix hardware?
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-07-2012, 8:03 PM Reply   
Have you contacted Ronix? Might be a good idea before you put them on blast.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       03-07-2012, 8:31 PM Reply   
Sometimes these threads/screws can be difficult. I have had numerous sets of hardware do this to me. As frustrating as it is you just need to try until you get it, and do not force it or you will cross thread them, and breaking bolts off in inserts is no fun. For some reason sometimes the first thread just doesn't wanna line up, so like I said before, just be patient and they should thread in.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-08-2012, 3:12 AM Reply   
Could be a manufacturing issue. My sis has a FHL and one of the holes came with damaged threads. Its just a small mistake that all manufacturers have from time to time. Contact Ronix and they should sort you out.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-08-2012, 8:24 PM Reply   
try running a tap through the inserts. that'll clean em up and they should turn right in
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-09-2012, 12:22 AM Reply   
x2 luke. I had to tap atleast one hole in every board I have ever bought or demo'd. bummer yes, but not a big deal if you have a basic tap and die set. if not, it is a great excuse to go buy one.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-09-2012, 6:49 AM Reply   
What is running a tap? Sorry for my dumbness!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-09-2012, 8:56 AM Reply   
a tap is a tool that rethreds the insert.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-09-2012, 9:27 AM Reply   
Take it to the shop, if you bought from one, and make it their problem. Boards should come with all appropriately fitting and working hardware, and it is the retailers responsibility to ensure that. If they state that the manufacturer didn't help them/provide it, then it needs to be their problem with the manufacturer, not yours, and they should have known their stuff before to it coming to that. Any local shop could also probably help out with additional hardware, as I'm sure you know. It should not be acceptable to anyone to pay the amount of money for a board and get improper fitting hardware, missing hardware, or anything but the right stuff. That's why most shops will just make it right, and working.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-09-2012, 8:08 PM Reply   
I had that problem, til I put in washers. I know you said it wasnt bottoming out but its worth a shot
Old     (andrewsnb)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-12-2012, 5:17 PM Reply   
I always put the boots at like 30 degrees on either side of the binding. and then once I start the thread into the insert I will line my boot up to the 12-15 degrees i would normally ride at. If you have the boots all the way out at 30 degrees to start with, you seem to have a few extra MM of space!

A-dub is right. Your local shop should have ensured you received all the correct hardware. If they can't help you out... I am sure Ronix will.

Andrew
Shuswap Ski & Board
Facebook
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-15-2012, 9:03 AM Reply   
Ronix will help out. Every board Co. I have ever called for screws, laces, etc has overnighted me the parts. My question is are both the boots and bindings Ronix? Some boards have more shallow inserts than others. All LF bindings I've seen had screws too long for HL inserts.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-15-2012, 9:16 AM Reply   
Thanks everybody. This obviously wasn't to rip Ronix, but to see if anybody else has had the same experience and found a solution. I've asked locally and some folks have told me they had to buy their own screws from the hardware store. it's like those thumb screws put lateral pressue on the threads making them harder to screw in.

I did contact Ronix and they are sending me new bolts. They are the same ones though so I'm worried I will have the same issue. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-20-2012, 8:43 PM Reply   
That's why I use 5/16~18 fat and couse, Not 1/4 -28
Old     (neverwinter)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-24-2012, 12:31 PM Reply   
i had the same issue with ronix bindings and 4 20 cent washers between the binding and the bolt made me a happy camper.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       03-24-2012, 3:52 PM Reply   
Andrew Martin is right on as the threads are very finicky and you have to make sure they are completely perpendicular to the threads. Make sure the boot is not interfering with you placing the nuts in the threads and start slowly.
Old     (perfski)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-24-2012, 8:47 PM Reply   
Alot of our customers prefer using a simple stainless phillips head screw in place of the toggle style screw. You can get them at good hardware....or call us at the shop 407-859-7544 or email us @ sales@perfski.com

Bill @ Performance