Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-04-2010, 9:58 AM Reply   
Are wakes similar? Any reason to get the supra over the mobius (fully loaded) other than a bit better quality materials?
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       06-04-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
to better answer this question, need to know options of the 2 boats, pricepoint, hours and all the other details..
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-04-2010, 12:11 PM Reply   
LSV has 0 hours (brand new) - all upgrades except heater

Supra 22 SSV has 80 hrs

heres the link to it:

http://www.pridemarinegroup.com/new_...43&pov=1699746
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-04-2010, 5:02 PM Reply   
I have an '08 22V, I put 148 hours on it last year and have been very satisfied with the boat. I noticed the boat you are looking at appears to not have some common features found on the Supra 22 V's, first being the 340 HP upgraded motor, and no Z-5 cargo rack. IMO the price for that '08 is high, and you should have some negotiation room. One other nice feature about the Supra is you can add weight very easily to the boat with purchasing larger bags, pretty much plug and play. I upgraded to the 750 lb rear sacs for 1900 lbs of ballast. The Z-5 makes this system work well because you can stow all your wakeboards, surfboards, kneeboards, etc... on the cargo rack and only need rear ski locker space for jackets/ropes.

Malibu also make a great boat, I have ridden behind a friends '09 23 LSV and it was great. is boat is a little wider (102" beam compared to 100" and longer 22' compared to 23'). He had the Maliview which was awesome, excellent option. Lots of space in the LSV, I thought my Supra handled a little better with the deep v-keel and I prefer the triple up seating configuration to have people facing the action in the water. The wake on both boats are nice, my Supra has the wakeplate which allows you to fine tune the wake a little more, but I really enjoyed the Malibu wake as well. I also liked how Malibu made it so easy to lower the tower down, great idea. One item I did not care for on the Malibu was the tower seemed a little wobbly, the rad-a-cage tower on the Supra is rock solid and never moves or wobbles.

I would recommend driving both boats, they are both quality builds and I think it will come down to what is your priority (space, handling, options, price, condition, etc...)
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-04-2010, 5:19 PM Reply   
thanks

btw its a Moomba LSV vs Supra
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-04-2010, 7:35 PM Reply   
the moomba will have the better ballast system because they changed to 3 jabsco reversible pumps instead of the 1 pump/manifold system that the supra had in '08, also the moomba will have the same interchangeable bags the supra has.

obviously the supra is a bigger boat, however both are capable of throwing monster wakes when set up properly.

one major thing to consider is that with a new boat you will have a new boat warranty, as well as the most likely $7-$10K price difference.

moomba vs. supra basically comes down to chevy vs. cadillac, a tahoe is the same thing as an escalade minus all the bling, the bones and guts of both boats are the same.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-04-2010, 8:17 PM Reply   
sorry 'bout that been a long day, saw the LSV and went right to a Malibu.... one thing the Supra does have over the Moomba is a different hull design than the Moomba (wider beam on the Supra). I also think you will get a better resale value with the Supra than the Moomba. Supra also has better standard features like the retractable ski pylon, pp pro (programmable rider pre-sets), upgraded syntec vinyl/gore tenera thread, triple up seating, roswell swivel board racks, rad-a-cage tower, adjustable wakeplate, swivel/bolster drivers seat, led lights throughout boat, pop out heaters, better sound system, and stainless cup holders.

Both are good boats, but the Supra definitely has many more options and a better hull design. Obviously you are going to pay more $$$ for the Supra. Would recommend driving them both.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-04-2010, 8:31 PM Reply   
thanks for all the input, very valid and really helps me narrow it down
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-05-2010, 6:13 AM Reply   
travis you are right about all those things being standard on a supra, however, they are all available on the moomba (except the pylon, triple up seating and vinyl, they both use gore thread though), the stereo is the same, both have led courtesy lights, both have towers made by XTP.

also the moomba will actually have better resale because just like most luxury cars you take a huge hit on a supra as soon as you drive it off the lot.
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-05-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
Andrew I agree with you I dont think travis knows moomba mobius all that well, the best way to compare a mobius to a supra is to say loaded tahoe to a denali...and the mobius is also one of the best selling boats on the market, and the hull is just as good as anything out there......duh. and buy the way a pimped out mob lsv is not much less than a similarily equiped supra
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-05-2010, 3:42 PM Reply   
Andrew, I actually test drove a Moomba '08 Gravity XLV before I bought my Supra. I did quite a bit of research on Moomba. Thought the XLV was a great boat, but you can tell the quality is lacking after driving a Supra. The Supra does have a wider beam (97" on the LSV compared to 100" on the 22V Launch, the Supra 24 has a 102" beam). Seating capacity is also 15 compared to 13 on the Moomba. The Moomba is a cheaper boat for a reason, and if you were going to add all the options that come on a Supra then why would you buy a Moomba?

I do believe the Supra is a much nicer boat than the Moomba because of all the upgrades, wider beam, also weighs in 500 lbs more than the LSV, and the trailers that come with a Supra are also more upgraded (4 wheel disc brakes, boxed in, led lights, upgraded fenders, etc..). You will never be able to change the hull design of the boat once you purchase it, but this is why you pay more for a Supra because it is a much more upgraded boat both inside and outside the boat.

Skiers choice uses the Supra to tow the WWA Wakeboard World Championships for a reason, not the Moomba. Personally, I think resale value will be better with the Supra because of the build quality and name recognition. But just my .02..... just trying to help him make a decision he will be happy with. Obviously I favor the Supra because I have been in his shoes and went with the Supra and have no regrets.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       06-07-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
[QUOTE=fman;1593630], and the trailers that come with a Supra are also more upgraded (4 wheel disc brakes, boxed in, led lights, upgraded fenders, etc..). QUOTE]

My trailer for my LSV came stock with all the same things, but I added stainless fenders (minimal cost).
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       06-07-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
=fman;1593630], and the trailers that come with a Supra are also more upgraded (4 wheel disc brakes, boxed in, led lights, upgraded fenders, etc..).
The trailer for my LSV came stock with all the same things, but I added stainless fenders (minimal cost).
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-05-2010, 3:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07launch22ssv View Post
travis you are right about all those things being standard on a supra, however, they are all available on the moomba (except the pylon, triple up seating and vinyl, they both use gore thread though), the stereo is the same, both have led courtesy lights, both have towers made by XTP.

also the moomba will actually have better resale because just like most luxury cars you take a huge hit on a supra as soon as you drive it off the lot.
The rad-a-cage tower on the Supra is much different than the Moomba tower even though they are made by the same company. Next time you are at the lake, take a look at a newer Supra, you will notice the difference.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-05-2010, 5:10 PM Reply   
I chose an optioned out LSV. It's all about cost/benefit and to me the Moomba was a much better deal, but I can certainly understand why people choose the Supra. In the end they are both great boats and you should take a close look at both.

And in line with the comparison above, my tow rig is a Chevy Z71 and not a Yukon or Escalade. All great vehicles, but same deal: cost/benefit.
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-05-2010, 6:29 PM Reply   
travis,

you obviously haven't looked at my profile or my username because i own the same boat you do.

full disclosure however i sell supras and moombas so i know what im talking about.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-06-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07launch22ssv View Post
travis,

you obviously haven't looked at my profile or my username because i own the same boat you do.

full disclosure however i sell supras and moombas so i know what im talking about.
Andrew,

Was not trying to step on your toes, and sorry did not see you were a sales rep. However, using the Escalade vs. Chevy comparison would be accurate if they were the identical size boats but they are not. The Chevy Tahoe and Escalade are the same vehicles in size and weight, but this is not the case with a Supra and Moomba.

Was not suggesting you did not know what you were talking about, but seeing as you sell these boats I am surprised you did not bring up the weight (500 lbs is significant), beam width, and hull design differences between the two. These are important factors that cant be changed once you have the boat in your garage.

Hopefully he can get out and drive both of them, because at the end of the day having something you are happy with is what its all about.

Last edited by fman; 06-06-2010 at 7:36 PM.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-06-2010, 9:28 PM Reply   
Really a matter of your own opinion and gut feeling. One thing to note is that Supra is a World's Edition, so more bells and whistles than the regular 22. For me it would just depend on what was important to me....... Warranty? Size? Wakeboard boat? Surf boad? Hang out boat? Size of you crew? Size of your tow rig? Are you a bling guy or are you a "down low" guy. These would all be questions only you can answer. I don't think you can make a bad decision. Both are great boats and Skiers Choice is a great company.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-07-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
Really a matter of your own opinion and gut feeling. One thing to note is that Supra is a World's Edition, so more bells and whistles than the regular 22. For me it would just depend on what was important to me....... Warranty? Size? Wakeboard boat? Surf boad? Hang out boat? Size of you crew? Size of your tow rig? Are you a bling guy or are you a "down low" guy. These would all be questions only you can answer. I don't think you can make a bad decision. Both are great boats and Skiers Choice is a great company.
Diggs, beam width for me was important because I usually take 8-10 people out on the boat, so I needed maximum room, and 3" is noticeable when you sit in the boats.

Ryan, hey whats up! and your trailer must have been an upgraded trailer because all the Moomba's I saw here in Sacramento area had drum brakes, expect for the Gravity XLV and it only had disc on one axle. I really like the 4 wheel disc brakes, it makes a big difference coming down grades and avoids pushing your tow vehicle around.

I agree with all, both are great boats and regardless of what he buys he will have a great time with either.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       06-07-2010, 1:09 PM Reply   
Travis,
It may be an Active Water Sports thing. I did upgrade to a tandem axle too. In Wa state the law requires brakes on both axles so that may be why.

Your right, tandem discs are the way to go.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-07-2010, 6:50 AM Reply   
Just noticed the Z5 cargo carrier that comes standard on the Worlds edition is not shown in the pictures.

The Worlds 22SSV comes standard with the 340 ETX CAT of which I am a huge fan. If you wakesurf any it really is a must. That engine is an upgrade in the LSV.

Diggs has a good point about size of tow rig. The trailer weight of the 22SSV is 5000lbs.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-07-2010, 7:05 AM Reply   
BTW my 09 22SSV promo is for sale that I used at Nationals. It has a few extras

http://www.aquamarineofanderson.com/...60&pov=1560982
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-07-2010, 9:13 AM Reply   
travis,

no toes stepped on its all good, i was just speaking in generalities across the board between supra and moomba. obviously a bigger boat is a bigger boat.
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-07-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
this is true the size is the diffrence but I do believe a mobius is the official to boat of the gravity games and the build quality of a moomba is just as good, they dont cut corners and use mostly the same materials, but yes ther isnt as much bling, i like my mob Ls and i ordered it last september, got it in april and I got a d.d. so I could slaom still and enjoy a great wakeboard wake with the gravity 3 package. you cannot get a direct drive supra any longer. otherwise i would have looked at one,we had a supra comp that had an amazing wake for slalom or barefoot. tough to rip through a course as they never tracked aswell as a nautique though