Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    TN22            08-02-2011, 7:33 PM Reply   
Sent to me from a friend who was at the meeting

FYI, this a prototype I am told. He said the dealers loved the performance in particular.
Attached Images

Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-02-2011, 7:44 PM Reply   
Thanks for the additional pics! Any insight on what it was about the performance they loved? Surf wave? Wakeboard wake? Weight sensitivity?
Old    TN22            08-02-2011, 7:47 PM Reply   
Surf wake was supposedly outstanding according to the dealers and the wakeboard wake was also very impressive from what I was told and the boat apparently can handle ALOT of weight without washing out.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-02-2011, 8:05 PM Reply   
Looks a lot better in these pics. Any insight on the stock ballast config?
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-02-2011, 9:23 PM Reply   
Agreed, 100x better in these pics. I actually like the looks of this boat. The bow takes some getting used to, but grows on you. Maybe MC could call Skier's Choice for some tower design suggestions, this one is nice.
Old     (on_board_wakeboarding)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-02-2011, 9:34 PM Reply   
Pictures from the Helm would be nice.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-02-2011, 9:36 PM Reply   
Any idea what the price point will be?
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-02-2011, 11:52 PM Reply   
Looks like an old Volkswagon from the front?
Old     (CrashMan)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-03-2011, 4:49 AM Reply   
wait- are those folding board racks... on a moomba???
Old     (moombadaze)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-03-2011, 4:50 AM Reply   
I think it looks good

Im not a fan of the fork bows at all, but I do admit this one looks nice-is subtle looking, nice to see the snap in carpet.

Anyone know what the 2.5 on the side stands for?
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-03-2011, 5:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMan View Post
They've had them for 2 years now.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-03-2011, 5:11 AM Reply   
Snap out carpet! They are listening!!!
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-03-2011, 5:57 AM Reply   
That's actually a wrap on the proto, so not sure what the gel patterns will look like.
I think the 2.5 might be related to the size (22.5').

Wake pics, helm, etc on Lauderdale lakes marina Facebook page.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-03-2011, 6:10 AM Reply   
Great looking boat..

Moomba with a big freeboard boat with snap out carpet and swivel racks and a new tower that folds flat... hmmm....

Mastercraft - take notes. Listen to your customers.
Old     (CrashMan)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-03-2011, 6:26 AM Reply   
looks very functional- glad to see them come up with something new
Old     (4Nash)      Join Date: May 2011       08-03-2011, 6:44 AM Reply   
The helm looks a little Odd to me. Almost looks like something out of a center console. Appears to be all straight and not much room underneath unlike other models.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-03-2011, 7:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post
Great looking boat..

Moomba with a big freeboard boat with snap out carpet and swivel racks and a new tower that folds flat... hmmm....

Mastercraft - take notes. Listen to your customers.
Anybody have any idea what the cost of this boat is going to be with above options?

I like the overall look. I don't like the cheap unfinished look of the area under the back seat and am not a huge fan of the looks of the bow. Overall though not a bad looking boat. If they want 60k for it though I am laugh my arse off.
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-03-2011, 1:47 PM Reply   
It looks like there is enough room under the rear seat to build a pretty killer sub box

The windshield mount mirror looks better then most of the competition,

I wish they would sharpen the lines on the bow, I think that it would help clean it up some and get rid of the bubble look.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-03-2011, 2:13 PM Reply   
That's is a great looking boat but I def ain't a fan of the name Mojo!
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       08-03-2011, 3:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
That's is a great looking boat but I def ain't a fan of the name Mojo!
Agreed! Mojo is a retarded name. Makes me think of the dog on transformers or austin powers
Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-03-2011, 3:16 PM Reply   
like most about it especially the tower and snap carpet. Not so sure I can get used to the bow though. Looks too bulky. Pickle fork it or don't. The in-between just doesn't cut it. The side profile looks all SC though
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-03-2011, 3:27 PM Reply   
That thick a$$ bow is going to make reaching over the bow impossible to connect an anchor rope or disconnect the tow strap if launching solo.
Old    TN22            08-03-2011, 6:21 PM Reply   
Austin Hair just tweeted about riding behind this boat. Said it is amazing and the wake is great and surprisingly clean
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-03-2011, 8:29 PM Reply   
Like the boat hate the name. The wake should be great. Stoked to see it in person.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-03-2011, 10:12 PM Reply   
Looks like a malibu vlx with a sea doo bow and awkward interior. I love the vlx, so i obviously like how this looks as well. Hope its priced to compete with axis and mb
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-04-2011, 4:31 AM Reply   
Great looking boat, particularly in person. Got to keep in mind that it is a working prototype, but they're definitely on the right track. Some docking lights in the bow there might set it off.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-04-2011, 6:19 AM Reply   
What's sad is that I actually really like the interior of this new Moomba, the new tower, and some of the exterior features. However, I'm sorry, but the name "Mojo", really? I mean, REALLY?

I don't want to go off on a rant here, but it makes me question who's making decisions over at Moomba if they thought that people would hear the name "Mojo" and think, "Damn, that's SICK!" "I bet that boat's the jam!" "I can't want to take a set behind a slammed Mojo!" I wish I had been a fly on the wall in that marketing meeting. What other names do you think lost out to "Mojo"? Wake Massager? The Flamingo? Power Turn XXL? The Hungry Groundhog? Turd Rocket?

Now that I think about it, though, I can totally imagine a situation where some '65 year old exec, who was probably some amazing slalom champion back when the beach boys and fats domino were laying down fat beats, sat in on the marketing meeting for this boat and trashed a million great names offered by people in touch with today's market place, only to slam his hand down on the table, shush all of the folks that were paid to come up with great names, rock back in his chair, kick his penny loafers up on the conference room, put his hands behind his head, and say, "Look guys. I KNOW what these young hipsters want! They want something EDGY. Something COOL. Something that will get these wakesurfboarders talking. What's that they say... oh, yeah, something "the Bomber" It's settled. Final answer. We're going with "MOJO!" This, followed by stunned silence and hidden horror from the young marketing team who are left wondering, "How the hell are we going to make the graphics so cool that people will forget about the name?" The meeting ends when the suck up in the marketing team that nobody likes announces "Great Idea!" and holds his fist to give the exec a bump. The exec smiles and nods, rocks forward in his chair, reaches out across the conference room table, and shakes the guy's fist.

Last edited by chattwake; 08-04-2011 at 6:26 AM.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-04-2011, 6:25 AM Reply   
I believe the name was the winner of a user poll on the Moomba forum a year or two back.

While Chattwake's story was fun to read, I'm pretty sure he doesn't know the Skier's Choice 'exec's' very well.

Happy boating
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-04-2011, 6:29 AM Reply   
NAW, you're right. I'm just having some fun this morning and kidding around.

In all seriousness, I'm not a fan of "Mojo". LSV, Boomerang, Outback, etc. are all pretty cool names in my book. This one kind of struck me as odd.

You got a link to that thread on the Moomba forum? I'm curious what other names were thrown out there.

Last edited by chattwake; 08-04-2011 at 6:33 AM.
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-04-2011, 6:38 AM Reply   
No kidding just call it an LSV22 or something along those lines. It's such a corny name.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-04-2011, 6:46 AM Reply   
If it's a surf boat, how about the "Barrel", the "Reef", the "Pipeline", the "Riptide, the "Carve", the "Kona"?

If its a wakeboat, how about the "Impact", the "Blind", the "Grind", the "Core", the "Mobe", the "Revert", the "Doubleup"?
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-04-2011, 6:56 AM Reply   
I'll try and dig it up when/if the forum comes back online....this is just what I remember, but I could be mistaken. I guess it might not be the coolest name in the book, but it's original.

hey, at least the name and graphic doesn't have an X in it...or say extreme...or have a skull..or flames...or flaming skull with an X behind it. lol
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-04-2011, 6:57 AM Reply   
Hahahah. "THE SKULL ED HARDY XXX KILL ZONE DEFCON X SKULL EDITION"
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-04-2011, 7:34 AM Reply   
Don't we all peel the stickers off the boat anyway? Who cares what the name is?
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-04-2011, 9:56 AM Reply   
whats the price goign to be on this boat?
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-04-2011, 10:21 AM Reply   
I have a Moomba XLV and like my boat and the brand. I actually remember that poll a while back on the forum. I didn't contribute but I wish i did.

I also think that "Mojo" is probably the worst Wakeboard Boat name I have ever heard. Winner or not, it is just a awful name for a wakeboard or surf boat. I want one, looks like it could be a real winner if priced correctly. But the name still stinks.

And I totally agree, at least there aren't some stupid giant X's and skulls and flames. All overdone.
Old    TN22            08-04-2011, 10:37 AM Reply   
My friend that sent me the pictures said that they are aiming for it to be priced between the LSV and XLV with it leaning a little toward the XLV.
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       08-04-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
Dang Chatt,

That kind of hurt.

Rick
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-04-2011, 11:09 AM Reply   
I'm hoping they make it a little more agressive in the bow. It's not bad as is, but could definitley be better. looks like Rick T is watching the thread so maybe he will take some of our ideas into consideration.

Last edited by bzubke1; 08-04-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-04-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
Rick, I'm just giving ya a hard time! I was in a "the Onion" type of mood this morning and this was the first thread I checked. Hahaha.

Like I said, I like a lot of what I see with this new model. I'm not sold on the name, but sounds like the Moomba guys voted it the best, so I guess that's what counts.

You guys need to put some grip tape on the front of that bad boy or nosing in to pick people up from the dock is going to be sketchy!
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-04-2011, 11:16 AM Reply   
Oh and how about some pics of the wake loaded down with some weight.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-04-2011, 11:21 AM Reply   
Yeah, it would be nice if the manufacturers would post up pictures of the slammed wakes and waves behind these boats. There's a lot I'll overlook if the wake and/or wave are killer.
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       08-04-2011, 11:25 AM Reply   
Austin loved it at 3500 pounds. We will try to send a few photos out. Great Thread!
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-04-2011, 11:29 AM Reply   
Found this pic of the wake, looks pretty solid, I wonder what the weight setup was in this pic.

Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-04-2011, 11:30 AM Reply   
That does look good.
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-04-2011, 11:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Yeah, it would be nice if the manufacturers would post up pictures of the slammed wakes and waves behind these boats. There's a lot I'll overlook if the wake and/or wave are killer.
Agreed, maybe show some different levels of what the wake can be. Like unweighted, stock ballast, and about 1500 over stock.
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-04-2011, 11:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickt View Post
Austin loved it at 3500 pounds. We will try to send a few photos out. Great Thread!
Definitley want to see this. When is this boat supposed to go into production?
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-04-2011, 11:39 AM Reply   
Now I feel bad dissing the name and then having Rick come on here and act so professional. That wake looks pretty good. Can't wait to see a video of someone riding it loaded.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-04-2011, 11:49 AM Reply   
I like the concept of the boat, in fact I like the lines of it EXCEPT for the protrusion sticking up on center of the nose. I think it just jacks up the look.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       08-04-2011, 11:49 AM Reply   
I can't wait to see more pics of it. hope it's set up more for surfing than boarding..

and about the name? that would be the first decal I'd take off it
hope that "mojo" is just the skiers choice codename for the hull mold blueprints and it hits the market under it's true name....
not sure that I like the open area under the rear bench seat. looks kind of unfinished, like the snapout carpet(thank you skiers) that doesn't go behind the drivers seat.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-04-2011, 1:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandm01 View Post
I can't wait to see more pics of it. hope it's set up more for surfing than boarding..

and about the name? that would be the first decal I'd take off it
hope that "mojo" is just the skiers choice codename for the hull mold blueprints and it hits the market under it's true name....
not sure that I like the open area under the rear bench seat. looks kind of unfinished, like the snapout carpet(thank you skiers) that doesn't go behind the drivers seat.
Remember it's a prototype, a lot can change before actual production. I can't see them leaving it in an unfinished looking state, but who knows.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-04-2011, 1:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzubke1 View Post
Found this pic of the wake, looks pretty solid, I wonder what the weight setup was in this pic.

Weight and speed would be nice to know. If boat is empty that's pretty good, if loaded...not impressed.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-04-2011, 1:52 PM Reply   
There is a lot to like with this boat! The tower and board racks look great, wake pics are very promising, snap out carpet(!), tons of room in the cabin, bow and storage, nice and deep to handle plenty of weight, swivel seat, better finish under the helm.... Very cool to see SC listening to the community - thanks, Rick!

If this is just a concept and there is still some time to tweak I'd love to see a transom seat for putting on your board, and bringing the platform up as I'd expect it to be WAY underwater when the boat is slammed.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-04-2011, 2:05 PM Reply   
I cant imagine this boat having a good surf wake. It is a very flat hull, and the swim platform way too low.
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-04-2011, 2:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMan View Post
They are a pull pin design that we have been building for Moomba and Supra for a few years now...
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-04-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
What's sad is that I actually really like the interior of this new Moomba, the new tower, and some of the exterior features. However, I'm sorry, but the name "Mojo", really? I mean, REALLY?

I don't want to go off on a rant here, but it makes me question who's making decisions over at Moomba if they thought that people would hear the name "Mojo" and think, "Damn, that's SICK!" "I bet that boat's the jam!" "I can't want to take a set behind a slammed Mojo!" I wish I had been a fly on the wall in that marketing meeting. What other names do you think lost out to "Mojo"? Wake Massager? The Flamingo? Power Turn XXL? The Hungry Groundhog? Turd Rocket?

Now that I think about it, though, I can totally imagine a situation where some '65 year old exec, who was probably some amazing slalom champion back when the beach boys and fats domino were laying down fat beats, sat in on the marketing meeting for this boat and trashed a million great names offered by people in touch with today's market place, only to slam his hand down on the table, shush all of the folks that were paid to come up with great names, rock back in his chair, kick his penny loafers up on the conference room, put his hands behind his head, and say, "Look guys. I KNOW what these young hipsters want! They want something EDGY. Something COOL. Something that will get these wakesurfboarders talking. What's that they say... oh, yeah, something "the Bomber" It's settled. Final answer. We're going with "MOJO!" This, followed by stunned silence and hidden horror from the young marketing team who are left wondering, "How the hell are we going to make the graphics so cool that people will forget about the name?" The meeting ends when the suck up in the marketing team that nobody likes announces "Great Idea!" and holds his fist to give the exec a bump. The exec smiles and nods, rocks forward in his chair, reaches out across the conference room table, and shakes the guy's fist.
Chatt... this might be your best post ever! I seriously laughed because I was thinking the same thing. Not only is the name stupid... it's what companies name crappy products they desperately want people to think are cool. But I also like how you do the same thing I do... imagine the corporate meetings these decisions are made in. I do that all the time!

Here is another example of a crappy "Mojo" product. Any golfer worth his salt knows you can't buy decent balls for less than $40/dozen. These gems are like $15/dozen and they are barely better than rocks... but they have a super dope name, yo!!

Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       08-04-2011, 3:06 PM Reply   
I also am really liking the look of the boat except for the helm area. The name has to go tho. Mojo is a horrible name and if I recall the thread from the moomba forum mojo was picked by all the old guys in Florida.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-04-2011, 3:09 PM Reply   
^^^ just to be clear, I don't think the new Moomba is bad. Just the name and the balls.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-04-2011, 4:12 PM Reply   
Good looking boat. IMO it looks kinda like an MB but alot better. MB' s are just kinda ugly special the pickle nose. Axis looks great and their pickelnose looks really good. Interested in pricing for this boat.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-04-2011, 4:58 PM Reply   
Moombalibu?
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       08-04-2011, 5:05 PM Reply   
chattwake . That was funny but you forgot the rest of the story. After the marketing guys got back to their office they were sitting around thinking about how they could make this cooler and then someone spoke up and said, "I know we can add 2.5 to the end." and that is a classic double fail.

All said. Cool boat. I don't think I would keep the graphics on any of the new boats if I bought one so I could care less what they name it.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-04-2011, 5:13 PM Reply   
Fugly from the front, and not crazy about the tower. If it performs at a Moomba price point it could be good though, the way I see it towboats are utilitarian... Who cares what it looks like when you're behind it?
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-05-2011, 2:01 PM Reply   
cool! this is my first time seeing this!

things i love:
the top deck shape
the location of the seat cushions. easy to remove
the see thru tower
graphics
killer racks
the black interior vinyl

things i dont like:
the name and the 2.5
the mirror
the snap out carpet make the boat look so cheap

comments:
what happens when you remove the rear seat? we like to leave ours at home. looks like the corners would be uncovered
how do you put the rope on the tower with the bimini up?
that wake looks small. definatly smaller than my stock ballast LSV. then again pics of wakes always look so much smaller to me than in person.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-08-2011, 4:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_killa_ss View Post
the snap out carpet make the boat look so cheap
X Star cheap boat too?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-08-2011, 5:57 AM Reply   
Yeah. I was wondering about that. Personally, I think snap out carpet makes the boat look better and more up to date. I hated the permanent carpet in my old VLX. Can't beat the ability to pull the carpet, pressure wash the floor of the boat after a long weekend, shampoo the carpet, and everything looks brand new again!
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-08-2011, 6:31 AM Reply   
lol i said LOOKS cheap. never mentioned anything about the price of any boat.
the snap in carpet was the number 1 reason i backed out of my axis deal.
when i step into my cheap moomba i feel like im in a plush house. lol it even has floor trim like a house haha. entire boat is carpeted, all the way underthe seats etc. even up the sides of the hulls, and every nook and cranny you can stick your head into. thats what i like. not everyone does.

in my personal opinion i just like this look better, just looks more plush and looks more expensive to me. snaps, exposed fiberglass, and loose carpet just dont look as good to me.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-08-2011, 6:48 AM Reply   
I would prefer to have snap out carpet in all the cockpit area but none in any area else. Water gets everywhere and makes for a much easier clean up with some sort of fiberglass.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-08-2011, 8:01 AM Reply   
I also would prefer snap-in carpet in the main cabin and none anywhere else. It would be so much easier for cleanup and no need to let the boat sit open for hours drying out. I could care less about the asthetics and would love to see them concentrate more on ease of care and operation.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-08-2011, 8:26 AM Reply   
I wonder if the snap out carpet is optional in 2012 for all Moomba models. When I went from my 2008 Moomba to the 2011 Axis I was very glad to have the Tatami mat floor and no carpet under the seats or rear v-drive locker floor. I was very diligent on taking my sacs out everyday in my Moomba because I didn't want the boat to start smelly funky with wet carpet. To me it doesnt make sense to have carpet in the floor of areas (like rear v-drive lockers) that will have ballast sacs and/or wet life jackets.
Old     (usaski1)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-08-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
BTW, what happened to the Moomba boards.. again.... I see many people from Moomba on here. Rick, you didnt want to build a boat to compete with the CC 200? I was hoping for a closed bow slalom god type boat... I know, I know, "thats not where the market is at"
Old     (jjaszkow)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-08-2011, 11:42 AM Reply   
Put me in the camp for preferring snap out carpet. After our experience with our previous boat with permanent carpet, we decided that we would not buy another boat without snap out carpet.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-08-2011, 1:24 PM Reply   
My guess that teak on the floor in wake machine will be better. And view better and good for wet. Any opinions
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-08-2011, 6:20 PM Reply   
My guess tique expensive too much is why boat floor not is made of wood.
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-08-2011, 6:31 PM Reply   
Wow I saw a pic of that blue lsv and thought It may be a pic of Robert T's friggen tige again...I mean I think 98% of us love our boats and are very proud of them but I have never seen so many threads hijacked. By the way I like the new tower.....it looks tidy.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-08-2011, 10:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
My guess tique expensive too much is why boat floor not is made of wood.
How many sq. feet floor are in the boat? Little bit more than swim platform, yes? And pricing for wake boats much hi in compare with any boats in this size. Maybe CrisCraft have the same prices.

Last edited by alexair; 08-08-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-09-2011, 6:01 AM Reply   
Much square foot more in wake machine than on platform alone. Plus, platform easy to constuct. Wakeboard boat floor not so easy. Much alot of curves, crannies, and nooks. Upper fiberglass cap simple mold and pop out. Wood take much time, and material cost more.

Chris Craft no ballast, no lcd video headunit display electronic, and lack of tower leave room more for cost for floor wood.

While wood nice, me no want scrub decks.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-09-2011, 6:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Wood take much time, and material cost more.

Chris Craft no ballast, no lcd video headunit display electronic, and lack of tower leave room more for cost for floor wood.

While wood nice, me no want scrub decks.
According to one of the big players at Chris Craft during the change from wood to fiberglass, wood boats were cheaper, easier, and faster to produce than fiberglass. Since CC boats are hand laid and have thick hulls, they had to wait a while for the resin to cure as it would get ridiculously hot. Fiberglass and composites were (are?) also more expensive than wood. Wood doesn't have heat problems and you can have more people working on the boat at the same time, not have to worry about working different areas and shifting your work around, waiting for it to cool, etc.

It is my understanding that wood vs. hand laid fiberglass wood is cheaper and faster to build. I'd imagine chopper gun fiberglass would be cheaper and easier than wood.

And on a side note, I love wood on boats. Teak and mahogany is where it's at. New boats look too chintzy with little or no wood. Then again, we're talking about wake boats so utilitarian is the prime concern (good wake, low maintenance).