Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-08-2011, 1:42 PM Reply   
so i've been mildly looking for a new boat, im not sick of my LSV, but i think it may be time...

i wanted to stay with something i can still afford. Originally i was looking at the possibility of upgrading to an XLV, but i really really dig boats w/ the snout front end, x-star, the new tige, tomcat, etc.

after realizing there is no possible way i could afford one of those, i came across the axis, now if i get really serious im def gonna goto a dealer (have 2, hr and half from me) and demo one. I've been a boat owner since 2004 (had the 04 LSV) and decided if i havent rode behind it before im not going in blind anymore.

info on my boat now: 06 Mobius LSV 350hrs, gravity games 3 bag ballast, heater, custom stereo (tower speakers, sub etc), bimini, racks, stock 325hp indmar, perfect pass, docking lights, pop cleats, stainless rub rail, and then all the standard options.

so with all that long winded stuff, i have 2 questions:

1. do you think getting a new A22 (i would probably get almost every option they have available) would be an upgrade, downgrade, or lateral move from my mobius.

2. what do you think i can get out of my boat now trade in? it was like 43k new in 06, its clean for the most part, major issues are the rubber pad under tower are starting to come out, small fiberglass crack where the tower folds down from the arm hitting it, and some scratches on the side from my brother not knowing how to park it in a hoist.

edit: a little more info, been riding since 04, im not a trick machine, i mold my riding after Keith Lyman w/ out the spins/flips, Best wakes i've ridden: 08 Xstar fully loaded (love the drive of it when driving) 03 Malibu VLX and i do like my wake when i fill it up and add a 500lb center bag on top, its just so weight sensitive.

Last edited by mmobius2001; 07-08-2011 at 1:46 PM.
Old    TN22            07-08-2011, 1:53 PM Reply   
I would wait to make a decision til the 2012's come out.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-08-2011, 2:02 PM Reply   
Having owned a Mob and been in quite a few A22's - I'd say you would be PLEASANTLY surprised at just about everything on the Axis.. I really liked Moombas as a price point boat but the Axis and MB's for the same price range are smashing them right now.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-08-2011, 3:09 PM Reply   
Phil, I am not sure but I think the MB 21 Tomcat is right in the same ballpark as an Axis A22. Should be a plusher boat but a little smaller then the A22.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-08-2011, 3:31 PM Reply   
I went from a 2010 sante 230 to an a22 and I'd never go back. I couldn't be happier. The boat is not as blinged out, but good god the wake is the best I've ever ridden, the surf wave is really nice, the boat drives like a dream, the price is right, and I think the a22 will hold it's value really well. No offense to the moomba owners, but I think an a22 is a huge step up in terms of performance.

Just go demo that a22 with extra weight over factory and the wedge down and, if wake size and shape are important to you, you won't come home with your current boat. The interior is every bit as nice as what you have, and you're not going to feel like you're paying for anything unnecessary. If you ride with lots of weight all the time, I'd look into the big motor.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-08-2011, 3:43 PM Reply   
thx for the reply chatt, yeah thats the only thing im iffy on is the motor, in my group of 3, 2 of them are beginner, so the only time i really "fill it up" is when i run. and maybe 1 time a month another advanced rider will ride, i have a 325hp now, and it does ok when i load up 1400lbs or so....

guess depends how much the extra option is.

is it better to wait and get one from the dealer w/ options i want, or wait for the boat show and spec it out, im looking for a good deal and interest rate, my payment now is $295, i can stretch to $350-$375, but i wouldnt want to pay more, i plan to put a little bit down from my old boat, owe about $24k on it.
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-08-2011, 4:16 PM Reply   
Phil,

Pretty sure I know you and your boat, I work at Club Royale. Just so you know I have it on pretty good authority that there will be a 2012 Moomba with a 'wider' (wink wink) bow if you know what I mean. Food for thought the dealer meetings are coming up at the end of the month I'm sure pictures will surface of one by then. Also sounds like you may have some equity in your boat.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-08-2011, 4:21 PM Reply   
I'd demo the boat the dealer has so you have an idea what the wake is like. Bring your sacs and weigh the boat out how you like and see how it does w the 335. Hopefully the boat has the high altitude prop at least.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-08-2011, 4:30 PM Reply   
hells yeah you know me andrew lol, yeah man i like my boat, just think w/ all the new stuff out its time to start looking. I do think i wanna demo something this year, and go to boat show this year and maybe make a decision.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-08-2011, 4:33 PM Reply   
You'll also be surprised at the crack head prices people ask for their Moombas - wanting as much/more as the equivalent condition/year/hours/features boat that cost 20k more new when they were new. You are also likely to be far better off selling it as a private seller vs. trading it in. I was in the market all this year for a used, price-point V-drive, and was fully under the assumption a Moomba would be the way to go, just to find out that pretty much everything else was priced better. Good news for you though!
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-08-2011, 6:38 PM Reply   
chat what was the last moomba you rode? setup?

and since my words have been read as derogatory lately, its definatly not. just pure curiosity on a bored friday night.
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-09-2011, 2:32 AM Reply   
In my opinion, but you have to see for yourself, Axis is gonna be a way better wakeboard boat. The inside will be bigger than the lsv, the ballast system will be quicker. It comes standard with pretty much everything you need. I had a Supra 22 Sunsport and I liked that boat a lot until I rode behind the A22. All I can say is that I've had a lot of people on my boat that own a lot of different boats and they all love the wake of the boat. I would say the quality is top notch with the best of them. It might cost a little more than a moomba, but from everyone I had been on they don't even come close to being as good as this boat. Again that is all just my opinion. If you live near waterford, michigan go check out skier's pier they might have some left. I live about an hour and 30 minutes away from there in ohio, if you want to check one out. Hope this helps.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-09-2011, 5:15 AM Reply   
Cory, the last moomba I rode behind was an 07 lsv. My axis dealer also sells moomba, so I've had a chance to check out most of their stuff. Moomba makes nice boats, but the wakes behind those boats simply are not on the same level as what you get out of an a22. Most boats, regardless of brand, aren't on that level, which is why I own an a22. If I thought I could get a better wake for my riding style out of another boat, I'd just go buy that other boat.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-09-2011, 2:27 PM Reply   
sounds good to me chatwake, rock it brotha.

Andrew i would like to politely disagree with you on interior size of A22 verses LSV. ive personally measured both. even my 03 LSV (20'-8") had more floor space than the A22, and my '11 LSV (21-6") certainly does.
the difference being, i believe the axis seats are wider, or the distance between the outer hull and inner hull(i cant remember this term right now) is wider. i cant remember which now, its been about a year since i measured for comparison.

Last edited by stang_killa_ss; 07-09-2011 at 2:31 PM.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-09-2011, 6:25 PM Reply   
The A22 throws one of the absolute sickest wakes out there. It has everything you need and none of the extra bling that is nice but not necessary. We have about 200 hours on our A22 and absolutely love it!
Old     (stuntmonkey)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-09-2011, 6:33 PM Reply   
I would be all over an A22 as opposed to the Wakesetter VLX I'm getting, but the drivers seat not turning/swiveling is a deal breaker. Other wise everything else is awesome.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-09-2011, 6:36 PM Reply   
Ash all you have to do is get the swivel seat option. We have the swivel seat in our Axis. It was one of the features that we just had to have. Swivels just like the seat in my buddy's VTX.