Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-06-2008, 4:29 AM Reply   
I can't get the videolink to work, so you'll have to find from here, just click on the story in the videos section close to the bottom about the man dies at Lake Hefner.

http://www.news9.com/Global/category.asp?C=116601&nav=menu681_4

Okay, once you watch the news report, you'll see a few thing's wrong with the story, can you pick them out?

Sad deal when someone dies at the lake, but why would you go out on a lake on a day like that, winds were well over 25mphs all day long, also Lake Hefner doesn't allow anyone to Ski or Wakeboard. Now people do Windsurf and Kiteboard there and that's legal.

(Message edited by ifishok on June 06, 2008)
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-06-2008, 5:03 AM Reply   
Lake Hefner is the windiest lake in the U.S. Oklahoma City is the second windiest city in the U.S.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-06-2008, 5:11 AM Reply   
kneeboarding in 2-3 foot chop from a low profile bass boat = not a great idea. sorry to hear about the young man losing his life.

the lake looks big enough for skiing - why the restrictions?
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-06-2008, 5:58 AM Reply   
wow. Can't beleive they were trying to wakeboard in that?
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-06-2008, 6:14 AM Reply   
It used to be a no contact lake as it is one of the water supply lakes for the city. The windsurfers and kiteboarders got together and convinced the city to let them use the lake, but still no swimming, skiing, boarding etc. These guys were wrong on several counts, and someone paid the price...

(Message edited by doug2 on June 06, 2008)
Old     (klewis32)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-06-2008, 6:43 AM Reply   
I was in the area yesterday when this was going on. I couldn't believe someone would have been out there. I noticed the wind was blowing so hard that when the waves crashed against the rocks at the dam that water was coming over the top.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-06-2008, 7:22 AM Reply   
tragic indeed, but almost unbelievable that someone would go out in that, also in a low pro bass boat!! did you see the waves tossing that deep hull Police boat like a ragdoll
Old     (intotheflats)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-06-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
terrible story, but what were they thinking. one it was illegal, and two it was like an ocean out there.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-06-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
Tragic.

Filming kneeboarding behind a fishing boat on a lake that doesn't allow it.... with an 80 yr old... kinda weird

I don't get how they drown with the vest on, and the reasoning given by the sheriff or whatever didn't explain how this person did. I get that your face could be in the water, so were they knocked out? Also how they went with "wakeboarding" about twenty times... I wonder who told them it was that.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-06-2008, 8:28 AM Reply   
Natural selection?