Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-21-2006, 8:59 AM Reply   
The CG was out in force at the delta yesterday. We rounded a corner and their sit 6 CG boats. We got boarded the were checking for all safety gear. They told us they were getting people ready for the summer and making suer people were safe. We saw one guy in a 210 team that was pissed of that he got stopped. But he also got busted for DUI. So if you go out make suer you have all your saftey gear and no non CG approved vest. That was one thing they were checking for. Have a good summer everyone
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-21-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
Can you get popped for just having a non coast gaurd vest? If I have 5 coast guard approved vests, 5 people on board, a couple non approved vests.....

Also be heads up when they approach your boat, some of those guys aren't very delicate around other boats. Be ready to catch them, so they don't bash your ride.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-21-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
Its not illegal to have NON-CGAV. Don't be fooled otherwise as long as you have a CGAV for each and every single rider on the boat reguardless of age, (I always have a extra or 2), plus have your floatation device within hands reach of the driver at all time cause that is a BIG hit for a ticket.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-21-2006, 2:08 PM Reply   
yea its not illegal to havea ncga vest on your boat however it is in most states illegal to were one while riding...

if they see it and its wet just tell them you mlike to wear it while swimming nad floating in the water while at rest.also a second not far fetched reason to have one is you were it with a second bigger usca approved vest to double up when trying new tricks..

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-21-2006, 6:07 PM Reply   
Thank you Sherman!!

Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-21-2006, 7:56 PM Reply   
There was a bunch of them sitting right over the "hedge" stopping everyone that went in or out of Orwood (or coming out of the back part of disco through the first cut into the fast side of Indian slough)

It did provide for some good entertainment at times. They pretty much all had their blue lights going full time and one guy actually tried to bomb thru there and "run the blockade" LOL
Old    catfishh            05-22-2006, 4:40 AM Reply   
A word to the wise...from a guy that knows..If you do get stopped, just have a good attitude and know that it will not take too long. You would be surprised how many breaks are given to people who are understanding and have a decent attitude when they get boarded.

Everybody hates the Coast Guard when they are making you follow the laws..but everyone loves them when you or someone in your family needs to be rescued..
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-22-2006, 4:55 AM Reply   
From a former Coastie - steps for a better boarding:

1. Have fenders available and a couple of tag lines. I have a 6' lead off my fender just for this purpose. Most of the time, they will board and the boat will circle and idle a short distance away.

2. Attitude is everything. Coasties typically don't like boarding duty. Easy way to have a bad day with people crabbing at you. Be polite. They are simply following orders.

3. Have your equipment at the ready at all times. Lifejackets in the wrapper or split seams are not appropriate.

4. Get a Courtesy Inspection and have the sticker on the window by the helm. You won't get boarded nearly as much. It is free, and you cannot get cited for a Courtesy Inspection .

5. If you are the Captain, you are in charge of the vessel and all the conduct of the people on that vessel. If you cannot control a person aboard, there is a shore nearby to drop them off on. Don't drink until the boat in on the trailer and you don't have to drive any more.

6. Check your fire extenguisher now. Replace if necessary.

7. Make sure your throwable is at hand. I jam mine between the driver's seat and the bulkhead.

8. Don't have your boat overloaded.

9. The Captain should have their ID on the boat.

10. Make sure all safety equipment factory installed works.
Old    catfishh            05-22-2006, 6:34 AM Reply   
Karl-did you retire and open a shop? Where have you been stationed? Still AD (BM) here, working AtoN in N. Florida right now.

I agree with Karl's post, all very helpful tips.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-22-2006, 6:41 AM Reply   
Sherman,

Thx for the heads up... We were out Fri afternoon in the rain, only saw 2 other boats in Vics. Wind was up but we got several sets in before it started dumping & we headed back in.

Not sure about Saftey Checklist but heres a guess / list:
- Display of Numbers & Registration / Documentation:
- Personal Flotation Devices (PFD) & Throw:
- Sound Producing Devices / Bell / Horn:
- Fire Extinguishers:
- Navigation Lights:

Old    catfishh            05-22-2006, 6:55 AM Reply   
Don't forget Flares, other than that, your list is good. Those are the main things that are checked when a boat is boarded.

To all: don't forget that the Coast Guard is here to help people and the things they issue tickets for are things that could potentially save your life in an emergency. In no way are they just out to harass boaters, if anything, conducting these types of safety checks at the beginning of boating season could help to reduce the nunmber of Search and Rescue cases for the up-coming year and hopefully save a life or two. That's my $.02 but I am a little Biased...
Old     (leblanc1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
Are flares and a horn "required"? If you don't have a horn, is a canister air horn sufficient?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-22-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
Flares are not coast guard required on smaller boats, i think it is 25 feet.
In Tennessee rider can wear a non-approved vest or nothing if they desire (not recommended and as the boat owner I won't allow) as long as there is an approved one in the boat for every passenger and the rider. Does a lot of good in the boat.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-22-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
Yeah here in california you do not need flares but you do need a horn if you have the canister or even one you can blow on is suffecient, although it might get some looks if you are packing a trumpet in youre boat.
Old    catfishh            05-22-2006, 9:29 AM Reply   
Rule 33(b) USCG Navigation Rules, Inland-
a vessel of less than 12 meters in length shall not be obliged to carry the sound signaling appliances prescribed in par (a) (A Whistle and a Bell) of this rule, but if she does not: she shall be provided with some other means of making an efficient sound signal.

That's straight out the book, you have to have something that makes noise basically. As for the Flares-it can be a regulation at the state level. The guy above was just making a safety checklist. I will take a $20 set of flares anyday and throw it in my glove box, no one will find you at night if you have an emergency and don't have a flare..

Safe Boating to all...

Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-22-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
Karl,
What do I need for my houseboat? Do I need a throwable within drivers reach, or just out tied to the railing? I think I'm OK with my ski boat, but I haven't went over the houseboat yet.
Old    catfishh            05-23-2006, 4:47 AM Reply   
I will step in for Karl, you can get away with a throwable on the weather deck, as long as it is easily accessible.

Active Duty Coast Guard here.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-23-2006, 5:13 AM Reply   
hey sherman are you dislexic?

(Message edited by iamnathanhudson on May 23, 2006)
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-23-2006, 6:07 AM Reply   
Thanks Jeff.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-23-2006, 8:41 PM Reply   
Jeff: Did not retire. Forced out (Clinton budget cuts). Stationed at MSO Wilmington, MSO Port Arthur, Group Grand Haven, MSD Grand Haven, MSO Detroit, D9(m). Both AD and R.

Thanks for stepping in, Jeff. I am in Cali for a few days.

For all:

Wakeboarding is only fun if you can do it tomorrow....follow the common sense safety rules and the regulations and you will have fun tomorrow.

My boat kit in addition to required CG and state equipment:

Large paddle
bailing bucket and sponge
first aid kit including compression bandage (military type) and duct tape (for splinting).
air horn
two anchors on one long rope with a hasp on each end. This allows the rope to be used for towing and for anchoring bow and stern.
blanket in space bag so it stays dry
Tool kit (screw drivers, adjustable wrench, vice grip, long nose pliers, extra belt, hose clamp, hose tape, impeller, utility knife, mask, spare prop and weekend saver kit)
cell phone with charged batteries
jumper cables