Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (crghou)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-19-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
So my buddy broke his femur yesterday. We really don’t know how it happened but he was on the wake skate for his first time. Got up cut around pretty well came back in from outside the wake and lost his balance and fell. It kind of looked like someone slipped on a wet floor. We all laughed b/c it looked funny came back around and he is in pain and said he broke his leg. Hours later the x-ray proves that and he gets surgery. It is kind of weird since we figured just screwing around on that thing would get us the least hurt. Any who we claim that as a freak accident.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-19-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
Chalk up another broken leg to the Wakeskate. There are numerous stories detailing the same freak accident almost monthly on Wakeworld.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Ask his doctor to put in an
AOS Femoral Nail and maybe I will see him in surgery!!

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-19-2006, 11:11 AM Reply   
Similar accident happened to my roomate. broke his femur on a wakeskate. His x-rays are somwhere on the site.
Old    00wakesetter            05-19-2006, 12:04 PM Reply   
Man, im not so sure i would be classifying a broken femur on a skate a freak accident anymore. I broke mine 6 weeks ago going wake to wake and landed one foot on and one off and i thought that was a freak deal. I have talked to prolly 5 peeps that have broke their femur in the last couple monthes and many more that have done it in the past. o and here are the x raysUpload
Old    moombarider132            05-19-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
wow plenty of broken femurs on this site! i broke mine 5 weeks ago today (good friday HA!) yeah i still have 3 more to go till i can even put weight on it. oh yeah i broke it on a scarecrow and i think i landed with my leg strait. theres also a chance i blew my MCL but we wont know till i heal.
Old    moombarider132            05-19-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
and i shatterd mine and the top half actually split the LONG way about 2 inches
Old    00wakesetter            05-19-2006, 12:17 PM Reply   
Chris, i see you list your home lake as conroe. Where did you go to high school?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-19-2006, 7:44 PM Reply   
My son Chris broke his femur in 04 landing straight legged also, front leg, landing a tootsie roll. This was a trick he had pretty well dialed until that point!

The pattern I'm seeing with femur breaks is usually the fall involves landing with all your weight on 1 leg, with your leg locked. I'd always heard it was more prone to happen wakeskating because of the propensity to land with one leg on and the other off the skate but you do see it happen somewhat wakeboarding as well. The main thing to realize if someone has that break in your boat is how dangerous it is. If the femoral arterie tears the person will bleed to death internally in a matter of minutes. Anyhow I hope you guys heal up fast and remember to take it easy for a while even after it starts feeling good. It doesn't reach full bone strength for close to a year.
Old     (crghou)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-19-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
Wow well I guess it is a little more common then I thought.

Kyle I went to cy-creek high school. 2 of my friends now have houses on the north side of conroe.
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       05-19-2006, 8:25 PM Reply   
Who says you don't get hurt wakeskating.
A friend of mine dislocated his hip wakeskating. He said it was the most painful thing he has done.
Old    00wakesetter            05-22-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
Bailey, that is what i thought happened to me when i fell. The break was so high on my femur it felt like my hip was out of socket. Anyone that says you cant hurt yourself wakeskating hasent ever tried anything on a skate.

Chris, I grad from the Woodlands and lived on Conroe for a couple of years. Just recently moved out to lake Houston.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-22-2006, 3:18 PM Reply   
Anyone that says you cant hurt yourself wakeskating hasent ever tried anything on a skate.

Funny you should make that comment. I heard about several wakeskate injuries (hip/femur fx type) when they 1st came out. All of those happened on the slider side of OWC.
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       05-24-2006, 7:50 PM Reply   
i broke my femur skiing 2 days after christmas. overshot the landing off a jump. it is not fun at all. now i have a femural rod, 2 screws in the knee, trochanteric nail in my hip, and 3 rings around the bone
Upload