Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Soulcraft)      Join Date: Sep 2010       12-09-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
Ok People, I want to hear what fin system you prefer? Coming from a surfboard building background, the main two fin companys are Future and FCS.

I want to know what you like and why?
What size fin you currently use?
Or if you even care what fin is on your board?
Thanks for your feedback....
Old    JasonDJ            12-09-2010, 12:31 PM Reply   
I have both FCS and Future fins and I don't think it makes much of a difference. The type of fin I use depends on if the board has FCS plugs or Future boxes. Its as simple as that for me.

It appears Future Fins has a perceived superiority over FCS fins but it wouldn't influence my buying decision unless I wanted to put existing fins I had on the new board. Therefore, because the majority of wake surf boards seem to have future fins it is likely that more people would prefer Future fins because of familiarity and because of possibly having existing fins they would like to swap for the fins on the new board.

If I was a wakesurf board manufacturer and the costs of the fins were essentially the same, I would go with Future fins because of it being more or less the standard fin system in the industry

I primarily use 4.5" twin fins setups.

- Jason

Last edited by JasonDJ; 12-09-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old     (Soulcraft)      Join Date: Sep 2010       12-09-2010, 2:08 PM Reply   
Thanks Jason, I appreciate it..
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-01-2011, 4:29 PM Reply   
Jeff,
It was nice to meet you at the Polar Bear Challenge! I ride a Phase Five Prop with the standard fin that came on it but there are times I would like a little bigger fin. The Epic we were in today, has a huge wake and I think a little deeper fin might give me more control. Is there a bigger fin for my board?
Thanks,
Sue
Old     (Soulcraft)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-04-2011, 4:44 PM Reply   
Hi Sue, Nice to meet you too. I don't know much on the Phase 5 boards but my friend has a lot of Wakeboard fins that we might be able to switch out fins, But we need to get you on a Soulcraft... LOL.. Just Kidding. give me a call and i'll see what I can do..
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-31-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
We are currently working with Futures Fins to design a line up of wake specific surf style fins. Simply put, displacement/thrust driven wake/wave energy is not the same as wind driven wave energy cresting over something....... As you may know or noticed, most skim style board use wakeboard/wakeskate fins directly or something of that nature. None of the standard surf fin companies make wake style fins, although some have in the past. Rainbow made some really nice fiberglass fins, but simply couldn't compete and ceased that line. Future also made small wake style fin for awhile. Some of the larger 'wakesurfer' companies just use generic knock-of fin templates and have them branded with their label.... I use to grind out and mold my own fins for boards back in the day, and then started mostly using FCS when they came out... I use FCS or Futures on my ocean boards, occassionally glass-ons, but our Shred Stixx are Futures Fin exclusive. I would tell you what our Pros think and like, but it is a secret for now... we will be broadcasting it wide and clear soon.
Old     (Soulcraft)      Join Date: Sep 2010       02-01-2011, 8:34 AM Reply   
I can't wait to see the new fins your working on with Future. I,ve been making my own Skimboard fins too lately, seems to be easier than to use Wakeboard fins.
I got some good templates from the wakeboards though. I've pretty much went with Future as my stock fins but still put FCS in a few boards.
Thanks for your input Chaos I look forward to hearing what the Pro's have to say....
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-01-2011, 12:00 PM Reply   
Jeff when we go wakesurfing, I would love to try out a Soulcraft skim board. The boards you brought out on New Years Day were very cool! I wish it would warm up so we could go riding here soon.
Old     (Soulcraft)      Join Date: Sep 2010       02-02-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
I ready for hot weather too.... I have a couple boards that I'd love for you to try Sue.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-02-2011, 10:23 AM Reply   
Awesome Jeff! I let you know when we plan to go wakesurfing. I'm freezing at the moment! My car said 17 degress on my way to work this morning.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-15-2011, 5:53 PM Reply   
Some quad fins
http://lakewakes.com/blog/?p=541