Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old    superchargedmini            08-07-2006, 2:31 PM Reply   
I am a beginner at wakeboarding, looking at the CWB Sol 141 or HL Motive 140. Any suggestions? What about the CWB Flame 141?

Weight: 160 lbs.
Height: 6'0"

(Message edited by superchargedmini on August 07, 2006)
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       08-07-2006, 4:09 PM Reply   
I can't speak to the CWB's in comparison but can say the HL Motive is an excellent board that's great for beginners and able to stay with you as you progress. It's probably the most successful shape in wakeboarding history and many of us on WW (including myself) started on it. As you get better, you can put smaller fins on (or go finless). You can usually get it at a good price, alone or in a package.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-07-2006, 6:28 PM Reply   
My suggestion is the Sol as it is a softened aggressive shape with a big fin. ALso, you can get hinge with it. once you try hinge, you will never use another beginner.intermediate boot.
Old    walt            08-07-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
I started on the Motive and liked it at the time but I was teaching a beginner yesterday and thought it might be fun to try it out again.
WRONG...what a POS ! It was like riding a piece of plywood out there.

The only good thing about it was it seemed to have a soft landing.

I don't know about the Sol but the CWB Flame is a much better board than the Motive IMHO and it's also easy to ride.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-08-2006, 7:59 AM Reply   
Ya I would say CWB SOL OR CWB Pure/Flame. The Sol is a great beginner board with a removable center fin and molded fins as well, so when you get some time on it and learn to edge properly you can remove the center fins and just ride with the molded fins.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-08-2006, 8:31 AM Reply   
I have the exact opposite experience as Walt. I can strap on my old Belmont (which is the current Motive shape) and have a blast. The only downside to the board is that I like softer landings.

The Motive is awesome and you'll have a great time with it.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-08-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
I haven't been on the CWB, but I really like the Motive. I agree with eagle, this board can stay with you a long time by changing fins. It is probably the the most successful design of all time.
Old    walt            08-08-2006, 8:42 AM Reply   
I don't know if the shape has changed so I should mention it is a 02 Motive.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-08-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
Both are good boards. I'd lean toward the Flame or Pure, though. I ride the Pure and dig it's capabilities. It's a board that'll easily grow with your skill. Start out with the fin in and work into riding it finless. You'll dig it.

I also think the Motive is a decent board. That was my first board back when it was the belmont. Great shape, although pretty dated these days.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-08-2006, 11:25 AM Reply   
02 Motive is the same as today. It's a great board. I love mine and I think Eagle pretty much stated it best.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-08-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
I ride the Motive shape and love it.

The two boards (Motive-Flame) are really dissimilar.

http://wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard7.asp?ProductID=2970

http://wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard7.asp?ProductID=3085

The Pure/Flame comparison seems like it would be more appropriate if you were comparing it to the ERA not the Motive.

http://wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard7.asp?ProductID=3068

BTW,

I like all three of these boards, and I own two of them. It just seems like every time I lose my mojo, strapping on the Motive brings it back.
Old    superchargedmini            08-08-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help. I am thinking about going with the CWB SOL or CWB Flame with the Torq bindings.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-08-2006, 2:33 PM Reply   
Good choice you will be happy with either setup.