Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (jman)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-11-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
I went out with a local wakeboard club that i just found out about, and half way through my set they got me attempting backrolls! landed none, but i am sooooooo stoked about being upside down. i have never tried them before, and now i feel like im on top of the world
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-11-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
any vid pics? i'm trying backrolls or tantrums next time
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-11-2007, 5:02 PM Reply   
Cool deal dude. Did the same myself today for the first time and didn't come close. Last one was so ugly it looked like a 360 flat spin. Don't think that's a trick, but if I keep doing it, it will be. Keep trying dude, you'll land it.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-11-2007, 7:45 PM Reply   
There's a picture sequence in my profile... the way I see it, the trick is to increase your load factor (line tension) gradually, from about 15 to 20 feet away from the wake, with it being pretty strong as you cut into the wake... really sink that rail in good right as you hit the wake, then, as you leave the wake, just tuck in the rope into your hip, look over your lead shoulder, and wait for the landing. The rest, very literally, happens automatically. You can increase or decrease your roll rate by adjusting how much you tuck, so, if your speed doesn't seem very fast coming into the wake (like you lost your nerve), try tucking a bit as your roll (called "mexican style" I've heard). If you're too fast, let your legs out so you don't over rotate and smack your head on the water. That hurts.
Old     (mobius67)      Join Date: May 2007       08-12-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
I recently started trying tantrums, almost landed one, but took a hard fall on the last day of the trip ha. The feeling is definately cool. My rotation seems ok, its my pop thats lacking like no other though. keep trying bro youll get it

(Message edited by mobius67 on August 12, 2007)
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-12-2007, 5:21 PM Reply   
I tried a few backrools today behind a 17ft bowrider with outboard...so you can imagint he lack of wake. I get about 3/4 of the way around but never landed one.
Old     (jman)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-12-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
Matt P., im in the exact same boat, no pun intended... okay yes there was. only difference being im behind an alluminum ski/fish boat. i really think i can do it, but i need a lot of work on keeping proper technique.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-12-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
Falconbmb:

When you were attempting them today with the group was it a WB boat or behind your fishing boat?

I agree with you though, I think it can be done it just requires allot more work, as with the smaller wakes you dont have the ability to get allot of air and have time to perform the trick.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-13-2007, 7:56 AM Reply   
Here's me a long long time ago, behind a 17 foot bayliner I/O, trimmed up a bit to try to make the "wake" steep. As you can see, there's really not much of a wake there at all. There's no weight at all in the boat. There's a tower though. You'll need a tower or pole for sure. You need an upward force.
Upload
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-13-2007, 6:52 PM Reply   
What's up Jamie!
Keep practicing that backroll. You were pretty damn close. If keep the handle next to your hip you will be there.
And it's forsure possible behind a small boat. I used to do them behind my buddies 14- 16'? Skeeter. Small pole, waist high.
Are you going to WakeJam?

(Message edited by lives2wake on August 13, 2007)
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-13-2007, 7:45 PM Reply   
Nice pic Tim!

I have been watching Higher Education 1 & 2 on DVD @ my cottage and watching the backroll clips.

They say in the clip to make a progressive run @ it, and jump off the wake and get height first, then tuck to start the roll, but when I try that it seems I dont have enough momentum to carry it around and end up on my head in the water ever time.

Should I be cutting really sharp and just push off the wake while starting the tuck, or pop first and get allot of height then tuck.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-14-2007, 2:21 PM Reply   
I think the trick to both the height and rotation issue is simply line tension. The point of a progressive cut is that you progressively load it up such that when your board leaves the water on the jump, the line pulls back, whiping you around. If you have a huge wake, you don't need as much line tension. If you have a small wake, you really have to rely on the whip factor. As far as when to tuck, that just depends on how high your jump is. If you're not going to get much air, it's probably a good idea to start tucking right away. If you get too much air, you might need to keep your body extended to keep from over-rotating.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-14-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
i don't think you need a tower...
Old     (jman)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-14-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
Matt P, yeah is was attempting with Flatland (group) and behind my boat. i'll try and get some pics or video soon. computer is being stupid. actually im probably the stupid one with the computer.

Justin, i'm going to ride in Wake Jam. ride behind the boat, enjoy the experience, and have some fun. see you tommorow (Wednesday)

for the backroll: as justin was instructed all it takes is handle at hip, pop your front hip up a bit and put head to shoulder. now i just have to do all of them at once! lol.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-16-2007, 9:51 PM Reply   
Soooo close!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-16-2007, 9:58 PM Reply   
my buddy throws big backrolls behind a direct drive moomba with no tower or ballast. Its all in the technique...
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-17-2007, 5:23 AM Reply   
A little off topic, but has anyone seen a backroll thrown off the wake? What I mean is an inside out BR where you start on the inside of the wake, cut hard, and throw as you are leaving the wake. I have been thinking of trying them when the boat is getting up to speed and think it will work, but haven't seen anyone try it.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-17-2007, 5:29 AM Reply   
I had a guy throw one off my bu. Thought it was pretty cool to see, but he is really sound and can throw a ton of inverts.
Old     (burke)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-17-2007, 2:13 PM Reply   
When you guys say "tuck your head to your shoulder", what exactly do you mean? Like ear touching top of shoulder? Lead shoulder or trailing shoulder?

Also, when you say tuck, does that mean leaning forward with your upper body? Or pulling your knees up towards your chest?

All the backrolls I've tried have looked more like corked 3's, that end really badly.
Old     (scotterpop)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-17-2007, 8:29 PM Reply   
I have a buddy who pulls inside out back rolls everytime we go out. It is very do-able.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-18-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
I pick a trick and just keep trying it until i get it. Stick with it and watch the knees, one of mine is still healing from a backroll gone bad.
Old     (biglap)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-20-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
I tried tantrums so much before attempting just one backroll... so, one day, I tried and after 2 attempts, it was clear that it's gonna landing soon!!! I did it at my 5th attempts and since it's a piece of cake... everybody need to try!!!
Now, I landed one tantrum, a big one... cool!!! Backroll is easier because you only have to set the trick and it goes by itself... or almost but tantrums appears to be more unstable for me!!! Just keep going, it's gonna happened!!!!
Old     (biglap)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-20-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
My way to do the backroll is pretty easy!!!
-Set a nice prog. edge and stay sit in it.
-Keep your elbow bent and stuck to your ribs.
-Once you hit the wake, same a normal w2w jump, but when you starting to leave the water, you only have to look behind you, over your front shoulder.
-The last thing, keep the position (elbow bent and stuck to your ribs), spot the landing and land it!!!
You are suppose to feel it after couple of attempts if you're going for real... don't try just to try.... TRY to LAND!!! No half measures!!!