Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old    turkster08            10-25-2005, 1:00 PM Reply   
why are some tricks named they way they are. like the roastbeef? and tantrum and stalefish does anyone know where these names come from, do people just pull them out of their butt, or are there actually funny stories behind them. so if anyone can tell me anything i would like to know.
Old    wsrmatt            10-25-2005, 3:40 PM Reply   
grab names ud have to talk to the old school skaters like dog town kinda guys. tantrum is a dumb name though. maybe someone was throwing a tantrum cuz they couldnt land the tantrum. im not sure. wakeboarders shoulda stuck with snowboard names but i think alot of the wakeboarders wouldnt know how to properly name a trick cuz they all live in florida and not near snow. but i think itd be way better if wakeboard tricks had snow names like 90 rolls, underflips, backside rodeos that kinda stuff but snowboarders do do a whirlybirf in the halfpipe. lol
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-25-2005, 4:36 PM Reply   
Fully agree with Matt.
Wakeboard trick names don't get much dumber. Someone failed in that department. Not so much copy snow, but for the love of Pete, a hoochie glide? Tootsie roll? Whirly dick?
GAY!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-25-2005, 4:59 PM Reply   
yea, they were wearing pink tight short shorts when they invented those tricks. no wonder the names are so gay. The reason for Pete Rose is because Scott Byerly kept falling sliding on his face when he invented the trick.
Old    turkster08            10-25-2005, 5:41 PM Reply   
okay well the pete rose is kinda funny i think but i do agree that the names are rank, but i dont think it necasary to hate on the people and call them gay because the are the founding fathers of our sport
Old    wsrmatt            10-25-2005, 5:44 PM Reply   
moby dick?(keith kipp messed up there but its sick trick though he invented), off axis spins could be called corked spins instead, big johnson lol, maybe thats not a trick but for some reason that was in my head, big worm i know is a trick, maybe a hoochie glide should have originally been called a method glide and work on it from there
Old    turkster08            10-25-2005, 5:51 PM Reply   
well the off axis really makes sense because when your stright up you are rotating on your 90 degree axis but when you tilt you are off of it. like the earth.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-25-2005, 7:50 PM Reply   
I dont know snowboard names are gay too like old school Misty Flips.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-25-2005, 7:52 PM Reply   
I disagree a little bit becaue we have a tanrum and a toeside backroll and in snowboard they are both the same we have heelside and toeside, they just go straight
Old    wsrmatt            10-26-2005, 12:39 AM Reply   
you gotta be joking. havent you ever seen a snowboarder take off from his heel edge for certain tricks and then take off toeside for others. like lets say for an "off axis 540(wk) on the snow" well if the snowboarder takes off of his heel edge and is spinning frontside going offaxis that would be a frontside rodeo 5. if he locks the toe edge in up the face of the lip and wants to spin a frontside off axis spin that would be a frontside corked 5. although i do agree that most snowboarders will favor thier toedge to be locked in up the lip because its alot easy to spring up into something from your toe then jumping from your heels.
Old    wsrmatt            10-26-2005, 12:41 AM Reply   
oh yeah but if you take that frontside corked 5 over the top then ur doing a misty flip which i guess is now gay
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       10-26-2005, 9:55 AM Reply   
They are differnt sports!!! I like that wakeboarding tricks have there own name, cuz wakeboardin tricks are not like snowboardin tricks. Wakeboardin you have a handle that you hav to pass, that alone make our tricks alot dif. There was a old wakeboard mag that had some tricks listed and next and they asked the rider why they named it what they did.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-26-2005, 10:09 AM Reply   
I agree with kevin. We have TS and HS. Although I guess there could be a HS and TS Slim Chance which would eliminate the need for a crow mobe name for example. But the tricks looks so different I agree with different naming.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-26-2005, 10:13 AM Reply   
I went down on a big worm once. And alot of my friends do hoochies.
"Lemme see that Tootsi Roll!"
Tai Pan
Canadian Bacon
Roast Beef
Chicken Salad
I think someone was hungry.
Old    cdubs            10-26-2005, 1:22 PM Reply   
Matty wut up, yeah id have to say ur right definately about toeside and heelside snowboarding but thier not classified that way and i think wakeboard tricks should have thier own names also ya know. i think you snowboard too much man, haha. with me. anyway i see the difference like with snowboarding if your gonna come off your heeledge usually were gonna roll/slide drop urself into a rodeo but if you wanna come off your toedge usually its to wind up into a trick and the edge usually would be locked in up the whole lip. not for all tricks though cuz if your gonna do a backside corked 5/7 you might start to leave your edge alittle early to start the droppping the shoulder and the spin. but back to wakeboard trick names, a few of my buddies are pro snowboarders and it sux when they come out wakeboarding cuz they dont know trick names so usually thier asking the boat driver what was that and i just see them laughing when im riding good and i know why. lol. then i get back into the boat and thier just cracking jokes about the wakeboard names. they all love to ride though but now mostly wakeskate just cuz thier all skaters in the summer
Old    wakegal02            10-26-2005, 2:56 PM Reply   
I agree with bg. It's good that wakeboarding is trying to be different cause it is. There have been other threads on here that criticize when different companies copy each other so why when two different sports try to be unique they get ragged on. The other day on fusion t.v. they interviewed a surfer and she said that a saying most people don't know is "petting the cat" (i'm pretty darn sure that's what she said) which sounds pretty gay to me but it's unique.
Old    260searay            10-26-2005, 2:58 PM Reply   
Sounds kinda kinky
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-26-2005, 8:40 PM Reply   
ahhh J-rod dont forget about the differences between a toeside frontroll and a toeside front flip ... but I think there is such thing as a t/s slim chance... ie toeside front flip fs 3

And to address some other pts of the thread, a whirly dick is what the trick is, a whirly bird to moby dick (basically), and recently maybe last year I read in wakeboard mag and they made a distinction between a method glide and a hoochie glide, the tweaking of the two are subtle and some hoochie glides may look like method glides etc...

On the note of the thread, I like wakeboard trick names, they bring an air of uniqueness to the sport that I like although I find it easier to call O/A spins cork spins and if something looks like a rodeo, I call it a rodeo

(Message edited by wakebordr11 on October 26, 2005)
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-26-2005, 9:49 PM Reply   
Matt G,

The Big Johnson is in fact a trick... it's a Big Worm 720, done by Brannon Johnson back in the day. I can't remember off the top of my head what video it's in, but it's in one of the old ones.