Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (thescott)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-03-2009, 10:51 AM Reply   
I'm heading to Shasta this weekend for a 5 day houseboating trip. Can anyone comment to the amount of debris out on the lake? Water temp? We'll be launching out of Silverthorn Marina. Will be my first time out on Shasta - any tips/info?

Thanks
Old     (malibu_guy)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-03-2009, 11:08 AM Reply   
Scott, I have a HB trip out of silverthorn June 12th. Let me know how your trip is? I'm worried more about the weather. I heard the lake level is great and the debris is minimal. Have a blast and prepare for next year as you will be hooked to HBing!
Old     (malibu_guy)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-03-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
Tips- great boarding up the Pit arm, but watch for tree snags.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-03-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
I love the Pit arm, but you need to be really careful with the trees that are sticking up! They didn't get to clear that arm of the lake when they built the dam. The head of the McCloud usually has some really good water as well, but it's a bit of a drive from Silverthorn and that's going to eat a lot of gas. Someone posted (on another thread) that the water temp is averaging around 70* right now. The lake is down 53ft, but that's nothing for that big lake!

Find a nice cove, tie the houseboat up real well, and go ride!
Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-03-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
NO debris. Temp was mid 70s over memorial day weekend depending on where you were.
Old     (thescott)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-03-2009, 1:31 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys. I'm super excited to check it out. I've been going to Trinity for about 25 years and have just never made it over to Shasta. Also my first time houseboating. I'll post up some pics and a report when I get back.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-03-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
Been to Hawaii a few times, did Mexico, ski trips, etc... but houseboating is by FAR my favorite vacation! Nothing like getting up with the sun and 5 minutes later be riding on glass! Enjoy!!!
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-04-2009, 8:06 AM Reply   
I boarded the pit over memorial and it was great. First cover to your right after you start up the pit is good. No debris on the pit really and water was pretty warm, low to mid 70's then but warmer now probley.
Old     (malibu_guy)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-11-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
I'm heading up tomorrow. Let me know how the trip was and any good places to go? How was the weather? I'll check my e-mail from my phone while driving tomorrow.
Old     (the_bug)      Join Date: May 2004       06-11-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
Bring a sweater dude. I live in Redding, and it is definitely not summer yet. A thunderstorm is passing over the office right now.
Old     (malibu_guy)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-11-2009, 2:57 PM Reply   
What's the temp like? Water Temp? You know the forcast for the weekend?
Old     (thescott)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-11-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
It was EPIC! No debris, the water is not that far down (about 60 feet) my boat read the water temp at 74-75*. Plenty warm enough. The place wasn't busy at all while I was there (6/5 - 6/10) will probably be busier this weekend w/ schools getting out. We boarded the first couple days way up the Squaw creek arm - nothing but butter - some good secluded spots to park the house boat. Then next few days we were way up on the narrower part of the McCloud almost at the end, and again, great water. Weather was a little shaky. It poured on us on Friday night and rained a little bit on Tuesday. The other days were pretty mild and nice though. Have a blast! I've been back for less than 24 hrs and I can't wait to go up there again.

(Message edited by thescott on June 11, 2009)
Old     (malibu_guy)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-11-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
I have not slept for the past two nights with anticipation. I hope the rain holds off!
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-11-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
Tonight, tomorrow and Saturday scattered thunder/lightning. After that great. Well be there for a week at the end of the month, can't wait either.
Old     (supraride)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-11-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
Razzman, We will be up there at the end of the month also. I hope the weather gets better by then.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-11-2009, 6:53 PM Reply   
Yeah i'm prayin' too! This is some freaky weather were having, but at least it's filling most of the lakes! I just don't want to get caught out on the lake with that stuff! Year before last it was 116 the fourth weekend, i'll settle for 90 or so this year!
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-11-2009, 8:46 PM Reply   
We hit that 4th a few years back and those record temps made it a long trip.