Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       01-29-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
So we have been looking at creating a new logo and one possibility is the following. What do you think?

Upload
Old     (waketherainbow)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-29-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
Very nice.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-29-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
pretty cool. ties into your King of the Delta gig too.
Old    walt            01-29-2008, 11:55 AM Reply   
Not bad but the crown conflicts with the DRA letters.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-29-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
put the crown on top of the DRA so the DRA is "wearing" the crown...
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-29-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
do you have it in AI format?
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-29-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
honestly, I think it needs lots of work. The bold letters don't make sense with the thin crown design, the "drop" style shadow looks "90's", and the text across the bottom won't be legible when the logo is scaled down. Also, the crown as visible behind the letters interferes with the readability of the letters.

Its a good start for sure, but I would have a local graphic designer take a stab at it, and maybe they could give you some pointers.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-29-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
If I was looking at this logo, having never heard of DRA, I would have no idea what purpose the crown served (and it happens to be the most prominent visual element in the design). I would think to myself "delta riders association... a crown... I don't get it". You have to realize that to you, the logo may make perfect sense, but to anyone outside your head, the communication and association is easily lost.

Like Garret said, I'd talk to a local designer and see what they can do for you.

Technical advice:

--Don't overlap DRA with the crown
--Eliminate the semi-transparent black completely: when printed in standard B&W/Greyscale or on a laser printer (which I'm assuming it will be at some point in time), you will lose the contrast and definition between the lettering and the crown, and it will end up looking really mashed together.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-29-2008, 2:51 PM Reply   
Not big on the Crown. Cire has a crown in their logo for Wakeboarding apparel. That logo if I was to run it through the vinyl cutter would be real ugly and look like a bunch of unreadable lines. You know everyone that comes to the events is going to want a cut vinyl graphic so that needs to be taken into consideration on the final layout.
Old     (keith2002)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-29-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
I don't like the crown. I like the old logo much better.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       01-29-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
The true glory of Wake World, when you ask for opinions you get them no matter how brutally honest they are.
Garret, Anodyne, Big Daddy Ben, I agree in a lot of ways with everything you have said and constructively criticized. It is a rough draft and just some things we are playing with. We meet with the Graphic designer later this week and are just trying to stream line the designs.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-29-2008, 3:37 PM Reply   
Haha, I like it.

I'm not from the Delta, but I like the Cali Kings idea period!! People don't understand it's still just an idea, and not totally finished! Maybe if you just played with the Delta Rider Assoc. lettering, and made the DRA part not as transparent it's be solid!!
Old    K.B.C.            01-29-2008, 3:47 PM Reply   
not a big fan of the crown either
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       01-29-2008, 3:49 PM Reply   
i like the crown because the winner is called "King of the Delta"
Old    Ben Kerran            01-29-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
I like it also. It would be cool to somehow incorporate the rider/roap/handle combo from the old logo (I personally like that). May be hard to do without making it too busy?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-29-2008, 4:11 PM Reply   
you should try to hook up with brady sammons. hes great at creating graphics and such.

- my opinion, not sure i like the logo, i know its just a rough idea but like others have said, cire uses the crown logo and you might be confused for being associated with that company, causing possible sponsor upsets, and also if you arent familiar with the series your not going to get what the crown stands for however, if you get a bit more artsy with it you can change the crown up to be different enough from cire and also possibly incorporate "king of the delta" into it. maybe have it in a banner around the crown.
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-29-2008, 4:12 PM Reply   
ya i really like the current one. I think it has a great presence!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-29-2008, 5:28 PM Reply   
Got to put my vote in for the current one as well over the new one above. Something representing the Delta or at least someone riding like you have now is really the ticket IMHO. Incorporating the crown somehow with the above isn't a bad idea either.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-29-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
What do you think about changing the crown to one of the bridges so that its obvious to those who know the Delta. Like the Orwood Bridge or the one on Railroad.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-29-2008, 6:53 PM Reply   
i bet you could make the union point bridge look like a crown
Old     (deltagrubber)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-29-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
Don't make the crown look like the Budweiser crown they're pushing in the commercials these days....
Union point or Middle river bridge morphed into a crown would be unique...especially if you could add king of the delta somehow...
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-29-2008, 7:01 PM Reply   
can anyone post up a pic of the old logo. I'm curious to see what it looks like.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       01-29-2008, 7:09 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       01-29-2008, 7:28 PM Reply   
Callen,

I actually have talked to Brady and I am hoping we can get back together and get some things put together.

I like the bridge idea.
Old     (moman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-29-2008, 7:32 PM Reply   
Logo's or branding of a product usually have a theme that represents the organizations vision of itself. The king of the delta title has already been mentioned. The crown logo is easily associated with the series. As time goes on and several years of events occur, the logo will make a lot of sense. I'm sure you have a vision of where you want DRA to fit in the wakeboard industry and lifestyle. I think I see that already. I like the concept. Continue developing it.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-29-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
Gary, also not big on the whole crown thing, the bridge idea sounds interesting.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-29-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
I like the bridge concept also. It will come around, just keep fiddling.
Old     (keith2002)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-29-2008, 8:20 PM Reply   
Callen has a great idea with the UP Bridge crown. The bridge crown somehow incorporated in the background of the current logo would look sick.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-29-2008, 8:33 PM Reply   
I second a bridge inspired logo!
Old     (supraride)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-29-2008, 9:26 PM Reply   
Gary, it looks alot like the crown that they had on the lucky brand sunglasses. I think it was lucky anyway. Just my 2 cents.
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-30-2008, 11:15 PM Reply   
DRA is the best no matter what you guys decide to do just try and make it look sick so i can throw it on my truck and board like the old one thanks!
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-31-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
union pt bridge idea is solid...
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-31-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
If you're artistically challenged like me, find a shot that incorporates the elements you want, take it into PS and bombard it with filters until you get something you can use. Here's one of my shots tweaked to death just to give you an example. I'd erase some more of the clutter if using something like this. How to fit in the DRA and other logo lettering well that's for people way more creative then me.

Upload
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-31-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
I don't know maybe it's just me, but Whats wrong with the old logo? I liked it. Is the idea to completely replace the old logo or to have an additional logo availble for use?
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       01-31-2008, 10:34 AM Reply   
To be honest the new logo idea is mainly for us to incorporate onto the tow boats and the DRA boat. The "OG" logo will always be. I am trying to come up with an additional one that ties into the "King of the Delta" events and works much better with the lines on the boats. I just have not been able to like any placement I have had with the "OG".

Rich, I have to get a hold of Chris about some ideas we have for this season. Can you email me his Cell #.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-31-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
I think the crown is a great idea for the trophy / awards from the DRA comps... but not for the DRA logo itself.

You're probably over the current logo, but I've seen a few of the die-cut stickers around town and they definitely POP! Perhaps a slight variation of the original block logo by 3-D'ing it up?

My graphic skillz suck, but perhaps John from CIE can give you guys a hand? I hear he's back in town and since the CIE website is up and running, he should have some free time.. ;-)

Upload
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-31-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
the burger king crown rocks!
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-31-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
I agree with loosing the Crown logo too
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-31-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
Delta bridges incorporated into the DRA logo... very nice. Props to Shehan.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-01-2008, 5:36 AM Reply   
Ryan,

Why you draw something up for Gary, you're good at that kind of stuff! I was always impressed with your SVM designs.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-07-2008, 12:23 PM Reply   
if someone posts some decent pics of the bridges, I can get something going. I'm flying to O-town this weekend so I will have plenty of time in the air to work on some stuff.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-07-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
That would be Rich & Walt. Post um up guys.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-07-2008, 12:43 PM Reply   
i think walt has one on his MS page that's sick...WALT?
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-07-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-07-2008, 4:11 PM Reply   
that's be the one...sick pic
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-07-2008, 4:29 PM Reply   
Im with David. I like the OG logo the best. Im glad to know its not going anywhere. If it aint broke dont fix it!:-)