Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       07-27-2012, 11:56 PM Reply   
It seems like wakeboarding is becoming more mainstream lately, what with Bob & Phil bringing wakeboarding to the masses and a bid for the 2020 Olympics for cable.

Are you a fan of more people wanting to get into the sport, or do you like it that you have this thing that no one else does, where so many people know each other?
Old     (Michigantim22)      Join Date: Nov 2011       07-28-2012, 4:17 AM Reply   
I don't think the sport will get much bigger, mostly because of the need for a tow boat or a cable park, and most people don't have access to either. The price of a wake boat has been pretty crazy already and it seems like with the release of the 13's, the prices keep going up. Not sure how much higher they can go. ( not to mention the price of gas as well ) Most of us are very privileged to own or have access to a boat and/or a lake and far too few people do for the growth of the sport to be significant IMO. In terms of cable parks, they are too far and few in between and are limited in terms of volume as only a few riders can actually be active at one time. I compare the cable parks to needing a lift ticket at a ski resort for snow boarders, but the volumes don't even compare. How many wake boarders can be active at once t a cable park? Go to a mountain, ski hill and you will see hundreds at once going down the hills/terrain parks. I think the sport has certainly grown in popularity, but due to the significant barriers of entry mentioned above, I question how much further it can grow.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-28-2012, 4:43 AM Reply   
Water skiing never really became huge, wake boarding won't either. I'm OK with it. Crowds ruin everything.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-28-2012, 6:28 AM Reply   
sadly tubing and jetskis will still ruin everything.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-28-2012, 9:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Crowds ruin everything.
This. I don't want wake parks to become water parks. Those places are disgusting.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-28-2012, 1:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_killa_ss View Post
sadly tubing and jetskis will still ruin everything.
No, actually wakesurfing will. As wakesurfing is the new tubing/jetskiing menace on many lakes, and with people buying good wakeboats for their wakesurf capabilities... SMH. FML...
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-28-2012, 2:40 PM Reply   
I dont mind wakeboarding getting more mainstream. Im always stoked to meet other riders! It would also be cool to say "Im a wakeboarder" w/o having to explain what the hell it is to the person you're trying to impress or create a conversation with lol
Old     (Mahoney86)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-28-2012, 3:02 PM Reply   
It more than likely won't take off due to the large amount of money required. Sure cable parks help to bring it closer to people without a boat but cables are still very few and far between. I see wake boarding being like snowboarding/FMX/Motocross etc... If you have access to it, it will get big but as said earlier with the cost of boats increasing, memberships at cable parks aren't all that cheap etc... I think it still has a long way to go. I remember skateboarding when I was 10-15years old and BMX from 15-18 or so and we were always the "menace" destroying curbs and ledges etc..... Well here we are 12years later and only a few towns have skateparks near by and I live in a pretty populated area. The only way I see it getting bigger is people opening up their boats, demo days and public awareness. I know my local shop I support like crazy, i put stickers everywhere, on my boards, boat , truck etc... Only we can grow the sport
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-30-2012, 8:49 AM Reply   
I think there is a little more growth coming with more calbe parks but it's still an expensive sport which holds alot of people back. On the other hand, lift prices are crazy expensive and snow boarding blew up but I think the shine is wearing off that sport lately.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-30-2012, 9:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshot View Post
No, actually wakesurfing will. As wakesurfing is the new tubing/jetskiing menace on many lakes, and with people buying good wakeboats for their wakesurf capabilities... SMH. FML...
^^^ Ding, Ding, Ding ^^^

As for the thread, cable is the future. Far more likely wakesurfing will become mainstream than wakeboarding...
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-30-2012, 9:55 AM Reply   
You can't wake surf behind an IO... so I disagree. Also, wakeboarding isn't going mainstream at all I'd say...
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-30-2012, 9:59 AM Reply   
Paddleboarding is where its at. If you havent jumped on the bandwagon yet...you still have time. Fastest growing watersport out their right now.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-30-2012, 10:05 AM Reply   
I wouldn't consider SUP on flat water to be a sport.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-30-2012, 10:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
I wouldn't consider SUP on flat water to be a sport.
Thats why there are races & sponsors lol. Is wakesurfing a sport? Not trying to debate...just finding out the consensus.

I know you have a sup or two.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-30-2012, 10:37 AM Reply   
You mean "again"?

Wakeboarding had a period where it was arguably mainstream. There was regular contest coverage, a spot at the x-games, gravity games, dew tour, a t.v. show on the OLN network and a few guys were making some serious money between contests and endorsements.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-30-2012, 10:52 AM Reply   
You guys do realize there are over 140 cable parks in the world (100 of those in Europe & Africa...60 alone in Germany). Hell between TX & FL we have what 10 or so? Blame your local politicians that they havent popped up more in your area. I understand a 2.0 isnt going to widely open up the scene to new people bc cant cycle as many riders through but you get more of these 4-5 towers put up around the country and it could explode.

This weekend alone I bet I came across 25-30 people whose first time it was riding a wakeboard and by the end of the day they were hooked.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-30-2012, 10:59 AM Reply   
I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand it sucks when there's only 2/3 riders where I ride so I'd like a bit bigger of a community but on the other hand bank holiday weekends in the summer are just days when I say don't bother because everyone's out and there's never anywhere nice
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-30-2012, 11:45 AM Reply   
LR3... blame politicians and the government?? Riiiiight... How about, if its such a lucrative business opportunity you open a wake park in every big city, could be the next big Franchise opportunity of 'Merica, "Wake Park - billions and billions of rides given"...
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-30-2012, 11:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
LR3... blame politicians and the government?? Riiiiight... How about, if its such a lucrative business opportunity you open a wake park in every big city, could be the next big Franchise opportunity of 'Merica, "Wake Park - billions and billions of rides given"...
I said that bc I see all the ATL and CA griping about when is this or that park going to finally open.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-30-2012, 12:25 PM Reply   
Oh good were mainstream again. That means we are back into the X-games programming lineup!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-31-2012, 10:15 AM Reply   
Looks like wakeskating is going mainstream if The Bieber is doing it. Just saw this posted on twitter by wakeboardingnews (and NO I dont follow him on twitter lol).

Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-31-2012, 10:30 AM Reply   
nice gloves beebs....
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-01-2012, 3:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
The Bieber is doing it
.....anyone wanna buy a boat?
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-01-2012, 4:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhanley View Post
^^^ Ding, Ding, Ding ^^^

As for the thread, cable is the future. Far more likely wakesurfing will become mainstream than wakeboarding...
I don't know what it is about them but they always seem to ruin a good line on a decent day. What happened to it being the thing you could do when it was too windy or choppy to do anything else. Oh the good old days how I miss them.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-01-2012, 5:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Paddleboarding is where its at. If you havent jumped on the bandwagon yet...you still have time. Fastest growing watersport out their right now.
KOOK