Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-26-2006, 6:32 AM Reply   
I just sold my Moomba and it had a pretty sweet wake but I had to use bags and it didnt have perfect pass.{pain in the ass}So Im looking at the Vlx which I have rode behind.On paper I dont see to much difference between the two except for 8-10 thousand$ I have not rode behind a V ride so not sure.Just like the Air 210 I have'nt counted out it does not show up on paper but some riders swear by it.I certainly dont go by paper and thats why im asking for opinions.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-26-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
The V-ride is the 04 VLX hull vs an all new hull on the 05-06. The 05 needs less ballast to get a great wake out of it and it drives a little flatter loaded up.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-26-2006, 6:45 AM Reply   
So how much bigger is the wake on vlx than the V?Also Im going to order an 07 in whatever I decide any changes on 07's
Old     (faceplanter69)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-26-2006, 9:10 AM Reply   
Hey Duffy

I just posted on the SANTE vs the X-2.

I've owned both boats last year so I'm pretty familar with them. The new VLX has the in floor ballast where the V-ride ballast takes up storage space. Malibu also cuts some corners on the V-ride interior compared to the VLX, nicer dash, and it's just a little more comfortable.

Comparing the wake, the new VLX isn't quite as rampy as the V-ride. You could argue that the new VLX has a bit more pop but both wakes are still very much a land out in the flats kind of wake. I still found both boat wakes very similar and if you didn't ride behind either one very often you may not even be able to tell the difference.

I don't know if you can say one is bigger than the other though. The VLX may look bigger, just because it has a little more peak to it, but the old v-ride wake is a bit beafier(sP) IMO.

8-10 thousand, what you're paying for is a slightly larger interior. Nicer interior. In floor ballast and a new hull. It's up to you to decide if newer is actually better.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-26-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
Duffy,

Like Paul said, both have great wakes, etc. You really need to decide for yourself, and if possible, get a few rides behind them both. While the V-Ride is a great boat/hull, I personally feel the VLX is well worth the dollar difference, at least for me. Much nicer interior, 4 hidden ballast tanks, and a ton of room for more sacks if you wish, more roomy interior for crew, nicer overall finish, etc. Sure, there is the bling too, but the overall interior space made the decision easier for me. As far as the wake, both are great. I prefer the VLX wake over the V-ride, but it is all personal preference.

Best of luck.
Old     (3205lpv)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-26-2006, 11:34 AM Reply   
This is an idea to think about. You may be able to find a brand new 06 vlx sitting on the lot somewhere. You could probably get it fot the same price as an 07 v ride. It would be a year older, but still be brand new, and I don't think malibu changed anything on the vlx in 07.
Old     (malibuohio)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-26-2006, 12:09 PM Reply   
I agree with Buzz. We currently own both boats, my father has the 01 wakesetter (old hull) & I have just purchased an 05 wakesetter (http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=589). There is a big difference in the boats appearance and wake. The 05-06 is alot bigger boat consider the beam and sides and you can weight it down more. Also, the interior is a little nicer. Both boats are great, it just comes down to price and what U really want. I would check both out and then decide. Buzz hit the nail on the head.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-27-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
Its only money, go for the bling.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-27-2006, 7:17 PM Reply   
Thanks guy's I really appreciate the input I probably will go with the VLX I just want to be sure before I drop $$$.The only reason Im going to go with the 07 is because im going to customize a few things plus Ill have plenty of jack by then.Thanks again fellas.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-27-2006, 9:19 PM Reply   
Duffy, why not the 23 LSV? From what I have read that wake is a monster!
Old    buckettim            03-27-2006, 9:29 PM Reply   
Why don't you all wait until 07 get the 247 XTI if they have it completed by then maybe 08 i was at the Malibu Factory last weekend saw the 247 xti thing is huge. I would wait and get a VLX instead of a Vride because with the VLX there always going to make it better each year...

(Message edited by buckettim on March 27, 2006)
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-28-2006, 5:33 PM Reply   
Im not sure where you guys are getting your info but the LSV nor the XTI come close to the VLX.Check out the boat buyers guide 06 for the 15 malibus tested. They test all the wakes on the boats and the VLX crushes them all.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-28-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
what boat buyer's guide is this?
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-28-2006, 6:21 PM Reply   
Duffy, if you are looking at the WBM or pretty much any other magazine(for the most part), those are paid advertisements. Take a close look at the pages. Other industries (including wakeboarding) are now catching on to the muscle building and weight loss industry tricks of the trade.

Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-28-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
I would also suggest that most of the crew here on WW are pretty knowledgable and often times have better advice and experience regarding boats and equipment than a magazine that hung out in a boat for a day or two.

Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-29-2006, 5:34 AM Reply   
http://www.malibuboats.com/demoday.aspx

Malibu Demo day April 22nd. Try them all out and find the boat that suits you.