Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old    jayazz            02-22-2006, 5:09 AM Reply   
Hi there, i thought i would embarress myself by putting a pic of my boat on the site, it is a 1989 maxum with an a 140 yamaha outboard, I built the tower myself.... It aint no Malibu, but i love it, any more people out there wanna show off there average boats.....

Upload
Upload
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-22-2006, 5:21 AM Reply   
Don't be embarressed. You are on the water and that is all that matters.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-22-2006, 5:22 AM Reply   
you should not be embarrassed,, it is YOUR boat,, there are many people out there that have no boat... be thankful you are one of the fortunate people who do...
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-22-2006, 6:13 AM Reply   
Aside from owning your own boat, good job on the tower.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-22-2006, 6:20 AM Reply   
Hey, that Yamaha outboard is a thing of beauty and Maxum puts out a decent quality boat. If I weren't so close to good Johnson/Evinrude mechanics, the Yamaha would be my OB of choice. I like the tower. How do the front and back bimini portions anchor down? Can you go crusing speeds with the front and back deployed?

I don't have any pics at the moment, but I'll go ahead and share my very average boats. My first one (which is now for sale if anyone actually cares) was a 1977 Ebbtide Captiva tri-hull with a 89 Evinrude 120HP outboard on it. That thing had more hole shot than most inboards but the wake was only decent unweighted. I could still go W2W on it though. It was one of the later model tris with the much smaller sides so it didn't beat you completely to death on the water. The original plan was to find a new hull for the OB since it's in pretty good shape but I found a great deal on boat #2.

My newer boat is a 1990 Galaxy 190 with the 4.3L Merc I/O. I've only had it for part of a season so far but it's pretty nice. I looked around and found an I/O with a good wakeboarding hull. With proper trim, it's not washed out (and pretty darn sharp) and the bow rise is minimal (but present). I haven't had time to put a pylon/tower on it yet. I thought about yanking the ski pylon off the Ebbtide but I've decided to keep that one on there and just get a new pylon. I don't want to leave holes or repair holes right before I sell the boat.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-22-2006, 7:37 AM Reply   
right on! here's mine. nothing special, but it's my first boat, and we were able to buy it new. it does the trick! nothing like being out on the water!

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/285811.html?1140448832

Old    jayazz            02-22-2006, 7:47 AM Reply   
I havent any pics with the bimini down, will take some at the weekend and post them on monday,
but i can go full throttle about 44mph and no problem
Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-22-2006, 8:08 AM Reply   
tower is pretty good for homemade. Good job!
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-22-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
Yours has my old boat beat. It had a Johnson 112hp outboard that started when it wanted to and thats after it came out of the shop. It was looking ragged out with the port side windshield missing also. But like Lance and Josh said, it's yours and you're on the water.
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-22-2006, 9:58 AM Reply   
You are on the water, that is what counts. Don't think I've ever seen a nicer home-grown tower, congrats.
I bet the gas over there is cheap :-)
Old    jayazz            02-22-2006, 11:10 AM Reply   
22 cents a ltr, not bad at all,
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-22-2006, 11:45 AM Reply   
that has to be the best diy town I have ever seen. Your boat is pimpin!
Old    jayazz            02-22-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
Thanks, but the point of this thread was to see other peoples boats as long as they are not a malibu or sanger
Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-22-2006, 9:30 PM Reply   
No embarrassment in owning an older boat. I'll throw my hat in the ring and show mine. 1991 Sea Ray 200. An oldie but a goodie. Bought it cheap, found a monster tower on ebay at half the price, and installed a new stereo and speakers myself. Not a wakeboarding boat, but hey, "good enough for who its for".
Upload

(Message edited by dan_forrest on February 22, 2006)
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-23-2006, 5:31 AM Reply   
I was going to take a pic of my boats last night to share but didn't get the chance yesterday after work. Here's an almost dead ringer for the newer boat I mentioned above. The only difference is that I have another red stripe below the grey one. To warn you ahead of time, this is from a classified listing but I am not in any way associated with the owner or the actual boat pictured. In fact, the link doesn't even go to the classified page but only links the picture on that page. I was just looking for a boat that looked like mine:

Awfully Similar Boat to Mine
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-23-2006, 6:00 AM Reply   
Cool. Here's a pic of my acutal newer boat I found on my laptop from back when I bought it.

Upload
Old    jayazz            02-28-2006, 7:04 AM Reply   
Dante, sorry to take so long to reply, but been away for a few days, the bimini anchors down at the four corners, with simple straps, both front and back can be used independantly, and i have angled the rear half downwards to allow for rope clearanceUpload
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-28-2006, 6:41 PM Reply   
wow, now thats a bimini!
Old     (dls)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-28-2006, 7:22 PM Reply   
That needs some tassels hanging from it.
Old     (tx_cook)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-28-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
how do you attach the rope?
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-28-2006, 7:39 PM Reply   
here is my old girl "the baked potatoe"

a new VLX is on the way ;)

Upload
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-28-2006, 7:42 PM Reply   
oops ...
the baked potatoe is a 85 magnum skier ;)
Old    jayazz            03-01-2006, 2:13 AM Reply   
you sling the rope over the tow attatchment on top of the tower, works a treat, it sticks out through the biminiUpload
Upload
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-01-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
Where're you at in the mid east? I spent six months in Bahrain when I was in the navy. Bimini tops are definitely a nescesaty more so than a luxury over there.
Old    jayazz            03-01-2006, 8:26 PM Reply   
your right, I am in kuwait, it gets well above 50 c in the summer, so a decent bimini is essential, or you have to be out of the water by 10.30 am, and when your boarding on salt water, you need to take advantage of all the good water, but i have been to bahrain a few times, as kuwait is dry, and bahrain is the closest place with a watering hole.
Old     (garman)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-02-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
Jay, I noticed the different registration on your boat and started wondering where you were. Then I found Kuwait on the boat storage sign... However, it looks like Kenneth beat me too it... Cool rig! A really fine job building the tower and bimini!