Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (JustinMD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       11-19-2013, 2:19 PM Reply   
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...l-economy.html
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-19-2013, 3:19 PM Reply   
Hmmmm!!! I like!! 3.0L diesel
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-19-2013, 3:33 PM Reply   
Hmmmm!!! I like!! 3.0L diesel
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-19-2013, 4:50 PM Reply   
Ecoboost...overrated, over priced, and under performs. Just get a diesel if you want "diesel" like performance.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-19-2013, 5:18 PM Reply   
How does this top the eco boost? the option cost more, the towing mileage is terrible and diesel isnt cheap?
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-19-2013, 5:35 PM Reply   
I'm amazed at the mileage on the new Chevy 6.2. It's right there with the 5.3 and Eco and it will pull withe the Eco. The fuel economy is amazing on that diesel. Will be interesting to see the price difference.
Old     (JustinMD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       11-19-2013, 6:19 PM Reply   
The EcoDiesel is a $2800 option I have read.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-19-2013, 7:15 PM Reply   
Fords eco boost is 1095, the dodge mpg is said to be 14.6 while towing... Dont get me wrong it looks like a neat little motor but I'm just not seeing it pencil out with the cost of the option and diesel if fuel would come down then it may make more sense.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-19-2013, 7:56 PM Reply   
Given the higher price of diesel there looks to be no advantage to it.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-19-2013, 10:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoddio View Post
Given the higher price of diesel there looks to be no advantage to it.
If you keep your tow vehicle for more than a handful of years then its worth the diesel investment. If you get a new gasser truck every few years then its not worth it.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       11-19-2013, 11:58 PM Reply   
So if the ecodiesel is a $2800 option and the ecoboost is a $1100 option and you look at the national average price for gasoline at 3.209 and diesel at 3.814 then the break even point in mileage is 94,444 miles to recoup the extra $1700 the diesel option cost. And you have the same torque and 100 less hp.
Old     (jeepdude)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-20-2013, 6:24 AM Reply   
I am personally a big fan of diesel trucks.
But if you do not truly need the grunt or plan to keep it over 100k, i would just get a gasser.

The diesel will get better mileage both towing or cruising, but remember Diesel's are like boats. it is a pay to play machine.
You have a lot more oil, DEF fluid and other stuff.
Not to mention if your significant other puts Gas in the diesel tank or def or anything except def in the def tank, you are looking at a catastrophe

A big question I would ask is do any of the ram dealers near your house have a competent Diesel tech.
I have to take my Cummins to a dealer farther away because the dealer close to me knows nothing about them.

No this being said.My almost 7000 lbs truck will tow a house like its not there and get 21 mpg unloaded.
plus oil changes are only every 15k

Pick your poison, they all have weak points just like our boats.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-20-2013, 7:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
So if the ecodiesel is a $2800 option and the ecoboost is a $1100 option and you look at the national average price for gasoline at 3.209 and diesel at 3.814 then the break even point in mileage is 94,444 miles to recoup the extra $1700 the diesel option cost. And you have the same torque and 100 less hp.

David I understand your point but your numbers are slightly skewed. You are comparing the up charge on the Ram from a Hemi not the base v6, and the up charge from the 3.7 v6 in the Ford.

The best way to do it would be to take the base price of the Ford Truck with the ecoboost which I show to be 34,405 and compare against the base price of the Ram with the diesel 35,255 for a difference of 850 more for the Ram. That is about the best way to do the estimate.

In my area I can get a better deal on the Dodge than I could on the Ford, the Ford's are very popular and the dealers do not deal on them as much as the Rams.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-20-2013, 7:29 AM Reply   
If I did my calculations correctly

The Ram = 14 cents a mile to drive unloaded
The Ram Hemi = 21 cents mile to drive unloaded
The Ford = 16 cents a mile to drive unloaded
The Ram = 26 cents a mile to drive towing
The Ford = 28 cents a mile to drive towing

So you save .2 cents a mile and would take a lot of miles to recoup the $800 if that is the way you want to look at it.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-20-2013, 8:09 AM Reply   
I think the Nissan with the 5.0 cummins will be the jam in a half ton. 4 cyl in a half ton seems way underpowered to me. the titan should be a rocketship. At least they are getting smart with more diesel options tho
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-20-2013, 8:17 AM Reply   
Just toss a 4bt into a half ton. The offroading guys have been doing the swaps with great results.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       11-20-2013, 9:52 AM Reply   
This is just one report... You'll have to wait to see what Fuelly.com says about it once the diesel is out and people are actually reporting MPGs.

Right now, here diesel is around 15%more than 87 octane.

Per the article that the OP posted, the Diesel ram gets around 33% better fuel economy... Now if MT is correct, it'll achieve around 45% better fuel economy (28mpg on an 88mile test).

I guess it's all speculation at this point until real-world MPG numbers are out. But it'll be a huge seller if they can advertise 28mpg highway.

Here is a motor-trend article saying they got 28mpg with it on an 88 mile loop:

http://wot.motortrend.com/1311_2014_...g_testing.html
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-20-2013, 10:22 AM Reply   
I dont see the justification in this at all. The milage will not match what they are saying. Heck like David Langston said. To me it would not be worth it,
Old     (rgardjr)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-20-2013, 10:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
I'm amazed at the mileage on the new Chevy 6.2. It's right there with the 5.3 and Eco and it will pull withe the Eco. The fuel economy is amazing on that diesel. Will be interesting to see the price difference.
I'm probably going to replacing my 2003 Sierra Denali with a 2014 Sierra Denali. Not sure I'm going to like hauling around 1000 lbs all the time, but according to the chart I'll get an extra .5 mpg vs. running without it.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-20-2013, 4:08 PM Reply   
^^^^worth a try huh???
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-21-2013, 5:29 AM Reply   
They Jeep grand Cherokee has the same motor and people have started taking possession of them. mpg report are coming in anywhere from 25-28 mixed driving. and 28-32 highway. i have seen a couple 35-37 mpg highway but only a couple.
the ram should be only 1-2 mpg less. there are no real reports on towing mpg.
you recoup any initial investment on resale of a diesel. so it will be worth $2800 more when you get rid of it, same with the ecoboost most likely.
the stero type of maintenance costing more is as old as the one that diesels smoke and stink.
my 05' duramax gets an oil change once a year with amsoil that is good up to 24,000 miles. and a fuel filter and allison filter once a year. per year that is the same or less than a 5.3L. the DEF will be interesting to see. most truck stops sell it around here for $2.80gal and should only have to fill up every 10,000 miles i think it is a 8gal tank. But not sure.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       11-21-2013, 6:10 AM Reply   
So looking at those numbers, assuming the Ram can achieve 27mpg, it will burn around $14,111 of fuel over 100K @ $3.81/gallon, and use $280 of DEF.

the average 2013 F-150 on fuelly.com is averaging 15.8mpg.. it will burn $20,253 in gas @ $3.20/gallon

So not a huge savings over 5 years if you drive around 20K/year (like it do) but definitely a difference.

For me a fuel miser to drive on the daily and a cheaper 3rd vehicle for longer family trips/hauling the toys is still more economical.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-21-2013, 8:41 AM Reply   
also the Uconnect in the Rams/Jeeps is heads and tails better than fords myford or whatever they call it. if i never used the Uconnect i would say the Myford was nice but use the Uconnect is like an apple and Myford is like a Acer. both work but one is noticeably smoother.
i know has nothing to do with ecodiesel or ecoboost.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-21-2013, 3:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowwboy View Post
Just toss a 4bt into a half ton. The offroading guys have been doing the swaps with great results.
I'm surprised this is not the direction Dodge went but apparently it is a motor they use in European markets so it has a track record and meets emissions standards.

Also, a swap for an onroad truck would be difficult in the people republic of California unless done is a smog exempt vehicle which defeats the purposes of buying a new car.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-21-2013, 3:40 PM Reply   
Norcal, like you I have no clue why dodge didn't do that. Its a proven motor and would be a easy engineering conversion. Instead they start from scratch on a much more complicated platform.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-21-2013, 4:04 PM Reply   
From my digging here's what I have, Fiat is Chrysler's parent company and also owns 50% of VM Motori, company which is supplying the Ecodiesel for the Ram Trucks.

I assume there are versions of the 4BT that meet emissions standards as it is in thousands if not hundreds of thousands of "bread trucks." In fact I think if I could get ahold of a pair of twin marinized 4BT's I'd repower my houseboat with them.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-21-2013, 6:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by superair502 View Post
I think the Nissan with the 5.0 cummins will be the jam in a half ton. 4 cyl in a half ton seems way underpowered to me. the titan should be a rocketship. At least they are getting smart with more diesel options tho
Yup that Nissan rear diff is AWESOME
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-23-2013, 9:12 AM Reply   
Dodge seriously couldn't find a better name than Eco-diesel? Ya it's just a name and they can call it anything they want, but I would have thought they would have chose something a little more original.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-24-2013, 8:12 AM Reply   
Just read some tow numbers from jeeps ecodiesel. It was only 4,600lbs but he said there were some steep grades along the rout averaged 17.5 MPG he did not state his average speed either.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-25-2013, 6:19 AM Reply   
Here is an interesting article on the Dodge V-6. Gale Banks has been working on these motors for the military for awhile now. I also heard him talking about a Dodge V-6 that he did a turbo and supercharger on with water/methanol injection. Look for him on Adam Corolla's podcast. Interesting stuff.

"A Banks version of the 3.0L VM Motori V-6 engine will be also be available to the general public as well, according to Banks. “Our initial build will be 240 hp and close to 500 lb ft with an engine weight under 500 pounds,” reports Banks."

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1...diesel_engine/