Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-27-2012, 6:04 AM Reply   
Wife got on board with a major oil & gas company on the west side of town. It looks like Katy and Cypress are going to be our options. We have a seven month old and two big dogs so we need good schools and a big yard. Wake world has always come through with good intel. Anything we should know or look for? Plano has been good to us for the last two years and a nice transition to life in Texas. I drove through Houston once back in 2001 at 5 pm in a thunderstorm and told myself I was never coming back.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-27-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
I hope it's a damn good job. Sorry, I can't be constructive, Houston is awful.
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-27-2012, 9:15 AM Reply   
Lol. Yes it is a good job. Big milestone in her career path and she gets to leave a sh'tty company behind.

I've lived in the bay area, Phoenix, OKC, and DFW metro so I'd like to think I've seen it all. That bad, huh?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-27-2012, 10:20 AM Reply   
My brother used to live there when he worked at Philips. I went to visit him once. We literally had to run from the truck to the house because the Mosquitoes would carry you away.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-27-2012, 11:54 AM Reply   
Just lay in a large supply of Depends adult diapers to handle the daily dose of swamp crotch you'll be experiencing everyday and you'll be good to go! The humidity in Houston is miserable!!!

I used to live there, still travel there monthly for work, and still have a ton of family there. Katy is way out in BFE. When I travel to Houston for work, Katy is where our Houston offices are located, so I'm pretty familiar with it.. If I had my choice I would choose Cypress over Katy. The main difference being Katy is dominated by flat farm land. Cypress is very wooded and just a prettier part of town, If you're going to be miserable you should at least live in a part of town that has lots of trees and looks nice.
Old    bigdtx            04-27-2012, 12:30 PM Reply   
We have a problem: Houston.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-30-2012, 7:48 AM Reply   
I grew up in Houston...family lived out in Katy for 18 years ( we now all live inside the loop)?

Only downside to most of cypress is off 45 North...traffic is horrid. and the other side of cypress is 290 , traffic is ( imo worse) going out west now ( Katy) is supposedly better...i remeber when I-10 w was a parking lot during peak traffic.

I'm used to the humidity...it's not a big deal to me, but if youre not from here you'll hate it during the summer.

I live/work inside the loop, and rarely get outside of 610 ( loop).

b/c I despise traffic....the only bearable freeway to me is 59N....if I ever move to the suburbs...I'd be out in the kigwood/atascocita area ( near the lake)
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-30-2012, 12:29 PM Reply   
I just passed through Houston last week and stayed at a Walmart in my RV.i didn't notice the humidity,but i'm from Virginia.The people i talked to in Austin,San Antonio and New Braunfels all said Houston was more humid than their cities.It's a opinion.Take it for what it's worth. Millions of people live in Houston it can't be that bad.Or maybe the money is that good! Anyway i thought Katy was a nice town loaded with restaurants and shopping.As for schools,i don't know.Good Luck with your decision.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-01-2012, 11:04 AM Reply   
^^^^^ being in Hosuton for over 30 years...the humidty is bad. the only place I've been where it was worse was in the jungle down in mexico (for work)

the oil and gas money coupled with a low cost of living keep alot of people here.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-01-2012, 11:10 AM Reply   
don't forget the beautiful beaches... LOL
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-06-2012, 7:37 AM Reply   
Texas is full now, we don't have anymore room for people from other states coming here to take our jobs, we have enough of that from our latin brothers, so from now on please stay in your own state, thanks.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-13-2012, 6:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scwellman View Post
Texas is full now, we don't have anymore room for people from other states coming here to take our jobs, we have enough of that from our latin brothers, so from now on please stay in your own state, thanks.
But it's so BIG. How could it be full?

My sons friend is possibly moving there for work experience before her grad program. I'm not going to send her the link to this thread...