Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    jonh            06-13-2003, 9:21 PM Reply   
I have always turned the engine off on I/O's when skiers get in and out of the water. Just got a Mastercraft - what do folks do for safety - yes it always better to turn off the engine but is it necessary for inboards.
Old    sprucie            06-13-2003, 9:58 PM Reply   
I don't, the driver always tells the skiier it's in neutral before they climb out though.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-13-2003, 10:06 PM Reply   
I would always turn it off......I'd much rather buy a new starter than ever have an accident and someone get injured. I've also read on here that someone had a rider getting in on the swim platform and his board floated up underneath and it chewed up his board something fierce. So accidents can happen. That'm my 2 cents.
Old    tclagggym            06-13-2003, 11:12 PM Reply   
I always turn it off, getting in and out, better safe then sorry! Saves lines too.

(Message edited by tclagggym on June 13, 2003)
Old    turtle            06-14-2003, 4:46 AM Reply   
Saves hours also
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-14-2003, 6:25 AM Reply   
Engine off when anyone is getting in or out of the water. Sometimes people get frustrated with this, but I don't want to see anyone get hurt. Accidents happen when you least expect them, especially on the water.

Plus, it's my boat, so it's my legal liability at stake. I'd prefer to keep my home and savings.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       06-14-2003, 7:17 AM Reply   
Engine off when anyone is on the swim step getting ready...Carbon Monoxide snorting is not healthy....
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-14-2003, 7:33 AM Reply   
i used to leave it on, due to necessity (fuel pump problem + vapor lock)

now that it is fixed i turn it off. also CO fumes are bad!
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-14-2003, 8:01 AM Reply   
It depends,if were in a moving current it would be on.Or maybe in a busy area where we have to get out quik.Those are the only reasons I can think of to leave it running.Otherwise we turn it off.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-14-2003, 8:28 AM Reply   
On my old prostar 190 the prop would sometimes still turn even if it was in neutral. I asked my mechanic about it and he said it was a common thing. So I've always been in the habit of turning it off.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-14-2003, 8:39 AM Reply   
It's been mentioned but it's worth repeating: Carbon Monoxide. Turn it off.

Someone posted a report on CO poisoning on US lakes and I noticed in there that measured levels of CO at the swimstep could be high enough for fatal exposure in 30 seconds.

Even at below fatal levels, I wonder how often people just end up feeling ill because of CO exposure.
Old     (sn0w)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-14-2003, 11:18 AM Reply   
We have an outboard so we always turn it off. always.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-14-2003, 12:52 PM Reply   
Always turn it off. Better safe than sorry.
Old    wes_the_gimp            06-14-2003, 8:32 PM Reply   
I thought you turn off the engine for prop safety but I saw a TV report on CO poisoning and Teak Surfing. They added something to the fuel to show the normally invisible gasses. It was sick. A giant cloud of smoke all around the swim step when in neutral. Even when moving the smoke curls up and forward around the back end of the boat.
Motor off!!