Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-04-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
Is the fuel economy of the Black Scorpion much worse than the regular mercruiser motor? Is the bigger motor worth it?
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       10-04-2006, 6:26 PM Reply   
I don't have any specific info on a fuel economy comparison between the two engines, but just a reminder to keep it in perspective. Let's say the bigger engine meant that you would spend $10 more on average every outing.

Would that really matter compared to total cost of ownership. IOW, should it be a deciding factor if its the boat you want. If you're going to sack it out, could be worth it, and could be more desirable for resale.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-04-2006, 10:56 PM Reply   
Chris Anthony (founder of Epic Wake Boats) once said that he believed the 8L Volvo engine he selected is more efficient than the Small block engines. He suggested this was because the big engine planes the boat out quicker. The less time you spend getting up to plane the less fuel you'll burn in the long run. I personally have no data or big-block engine experience to confirm either way. Though it's an interesting, and possibly true opinion.
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-05-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
Darin, I stared that same choice two years ago in the face. As a speed freak- bigger is better, however, my common sense took over and I went with the 5.0 MPI Mercruiser. There is not much H.P. difference and the fuel economy is a lot better. I had an opportunity to run up against a boat exactly like mine that had the bigger engine, it was then that I knew I made the right choice. We were both surprised there was not much difference in speed. If I was to do anything different I would have added the captains choice exhaust ( I love that rumble )
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-05-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
We own an 1983 2001 nautique and a 2001 malibu response. The nautique has a 240hp 351 and the malibu has a 365hp 350. I think the nautique gets on a plane better when sacked out. Maybe because of the transmission gearing?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-05-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
I think Chris is right about the big block thing. That boat jumps out of the water in a hurry and barely works to keep speed, whereas my X2 with a 350 pulls hard for 10-15 seconds close to full throttle to get planed off, then turns 3k rpms to hold speed. I don't think I've ever been around another wake boat that used gas faster than my current boat.

Back to the original topic though. I'd imagine the Scorpion motor wouldn't use much, if any, more gas under normal circumstances over the regular motor. If you were running wide open it may use a bit more.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-05-2006, 10:38 AM Reply   
Taking what Evan said one step further.

It may not use much more or less fuel. I would say it would be similar amount. However, I do feel, the motor would not work as hard, and thus last longer.

You can tow a 24' boat, with a Nissan Frontier, but it won't last long if you do.