Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (sarandoug)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-22-2006, 11:35 AM Reply   
does anyone have any tips on drilling a 2" hole in the transom for a wired stereo remote. Any specific type of hole saw? best type of tape to use to reduce gelcoat damage? what type of sealant? should I reinforce the area around hole once its done? help...
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       06-22-2006, 11:43 AM Reply   
Don't stress too much about it. Though it's always nice to make a nice job of it a remote hole is no where near as critical as, say a Tower mounting hole.

Use any decent quality hole saw (avg. size teeth is fine, nothing too fine is required). Drill in reverse first when cutting through the gel coat then forward slowly on a high torque setting to get through the glass. Mos timportant thing to check is that the remote/drill won't interfere with anything on the inside.

Always chamfer the edges of the hole to give a nice finish and reduce spider cracking should the area take an impact later in its life or be subject to flexing.

Sealant wise.. any decent quality (anti-mold is best) bathroom sealant will work just fine.

Reinforcement isn't required...

The first hole you drill in your boat is the worst.. once you've done it once its not an issue.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-22-2006, 12:29 PM Reply   
Going in reverse to get thru the gelcoat helps reduce any chipping around the drill site but I always tape the area heavily with duct tape as well to help prevent chipping along the edges.
Old    bigrich            06-22-2006, 12:29 PM Reply   
I have been thinking about doing the same but have heard mixed feelings about the remotes causing the stereo to short out etc... when they get wet. Any info on a good quality remote and are they hard wired to stereo or wireless??
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-22-2006, 12:31 PM Reply   
oops meant masking tape not duct. Rich-most remotes are hard wired but there is a wireless remote out there I just cant remember the manufacter.