Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (sdkid21)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-28-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
Hey guys,

I am pretty new to the idea of wakesurfing as I have pretty much stuck to wakeboarding and skate for the last few years, but I would like something fun to do in between sessins after I get worked from riding.

I am wondering what a good setup is as far as weight goes with a malibu VLX. We have the central ballast and the 2 rear tanks (no front tank) and we also have the wedge. I am wondering what kind of fat sacs (and weight) I will need to get a really good looking wake going for surfing. I have seen a few pictures of wakes actually curling over like a barrel which looks really badass.

Also, what speed setting are you guys using with the proper weight set up? Any pictures along with your setups would be greatly appreciated!
Old     (sdkid21)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-28-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
Boat year is 2008 if that matters.
Old     (kernaltao)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-28-2009, 1:40 PM Reply   
I've got a '07 VLX with the same stock tanks (no bow), and here is what I have found to work great:

Surf side stock tank full
Center full
Fly High 750# Sac full in surf side rear storage on top of stock tank
Center tank full
Fly High 400# Sac full in bow on surf side
Wedge all the way down
11-12 mph

Depending on how many people you have in the boat, you may need to add another 750# on the surf side seat. I have found that with just the driver and a couple of other adults, this makes an awesome wake. Don't put the wedge up any higher or it will wash out the wake. Also, get everyone on the surf side of the boat. This is a bit tricky if you ride regular as the driver will be on the other side. Just get enough weight on the surf side to counter the driver's weight plus about 500#. Goofy side will be better because of this and because of the prop rotation. You can still get a great regular side wave, but it is better goofy side.

The key is the lean! Get that rub rail under water.

The above setup will give a very meaty, long and clean wave. Here's a picture of mine with the above setup (minus 750# on the seat) and about 720# of people on surf side of boat (including driver). I am usually riding a good 10-12 feet back from the boat.

Upload
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-28-2009, 3:16 PM Reply   
My experiences with a couple of buddies of mine who have that same hull are identical to carl's set up.
Old     (sdkid21)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-28-2009, 11:22 PM Reply   
That looks great... I guess I am going to need to invest in some serious fat sacs.

Thanks for the write up Carl, much appreciated.

So in the rear compartments, it says not to use it for ballast. I know you are supposed to fill the ballast tank before you fill the fat sac or it can damage the floor and the tank. Is there any issues at all with putting 750# in those storage areas?
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       08-29-2009, 8:06 AM Reply   
Set up
500# in the bow.
750 on th seat pushed forward against the observers comp.
400 under the surf side seats
center stock tank full
rear stock tank full
750 in rear locker.
wedge 2 clicks up from all the way down.

Upload
Old     (kernaltao)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-29-2009, 8:14 AM Reply   
Matt - There are MANY who disregard that warning and put the 750 in the rear compartment. I have yet to hear of anyone having any issues. I do always fill the hard tank first, but I don't think it is necessary. The water in the hard tank wouldn't add any support at all. Actually, it reduces it by putting strain on the walls of the tank. Don't worry about it; just get the sacs and enjoy!
Old     (kernaltao)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-29-2009, 8:15 AM Reply   
liljohn - Is that 500# in the bow include the 350# tank you added in the floor? Nice write-up on the installation, BTW (at TMC).
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       08-29-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
Hey Carl,
the tank is 350 pounds and I run 250 on top of that. The wave is fast and hip high we run 11mph and can ride all day that way.