Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-31-2005, 11:04 AM Reply   
I just picked up a '98 VLX in excellent condition. It came with a custom Sport trailer. When sitting on the trailer the prop hits the guard below it. Nothing is bent or out of place. I could shim up the bunks, but wonder what this would do to how the boat rides on the trailer. Anyone else have any ideas or had this problem before?
Malibu
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-31-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
Ouch. The boats ride on the trailer is not as important as saving your prop. Shimming may work as it only needs to clear w/ small margin. Some trailers have a slide adjustment on the bunks.
If you have any vibration check the prop first, they dont always have to look bent to be out of tolerence.sp.
Old     (goinboardn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-31-2005, 12:19 PM Reply   
Mine is about an inch from the prop guard. So close that i don't drive up on the trailer for fear of bouncing somehow and knocking the prop on it. The trailer (this is a used boat) shows a few faint nicks right under the prop so in the past it may have hit. I am going to shim during my Spring projects.

Note: the prop in the photo has since been replaced.

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-31-2005, 12:58 PM Reply   
gp,if your prop doesn't hit when on the trailer,it won't period.Think about it,there is nothing allowing the boat to go lower then it is now when it's in the water,if anything it won't be as close in the water b\c your boat floats and when it's on the bunks...it's on the bunks no matter if it's in the water or not.
Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       10-31-2005, 1:17 PM Reply   
Giles,

Let me guess.. you live in Portland?

I talked to the seller, just a few days too late. You got a GREAT deal on that boat.

Congrats! I hope to find one soon.

And I agree with Ed... if it doesn't hit on the trailer when out of the water, it's not going to hit when loading since the boat will be floating well above the trailer while still running.

-gvb

(Message edited by gvb on October 31, 2005)
Old     (goinboardn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-31-2005, 1:20 PM Reply   
I hear ya Big Ed... believe me i have tried to get it into my thick skull that it just can't happen, but i am still chicken! I replaced the rear bunks this summer (one was mushy and falling apart) which may have contributed to the small nicks. I just haven't worked up the nerve to try.

sorry for the highjack of your thread Giles.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-31-2005, 1:26 PM Reply   
No vibration, the prop did get a small ding from my first time out. I'd be happy with an inch, it hits sitting in my shop! Trailer is custom, no adjustments.

gvb, thanks I'm real stoked. I drove 12hrs each way for it, but it was worth it. It is in VERY good shape and has almost all the goodies. Too bad it goes into storage until spring........
Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       10-31-2005, 1:54 PM Reply   
Screw that storage nonsense... get yourself a drysuit and get out there!
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       10-31-2005, 1:57 PM Reply   
shim it up with some thick washers between the support and the bunk. You may need longer lag bolts. Those bunks have shifted somehow.